More Olympic Drama....This time it gets ugly....

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » More Olympic Drama....This time it gets ugly....
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/23/08 5:35:22PM
Matos faces lifetime ban after kicking referee following match

BEIJING -- Cuba's Angel Matos deliberately kicked a referee square in the face after he was disqualified in a bronze-medal match, prompting the World Taekwondo Federation to recommend that he be banned for life.

"We didn't expect anything like what you have witnessed to occur," said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk. "I am at a loss for words."

Yang also recommended Matos' coach be banned.

Link
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/23/08 5:36:55PM
this is shocking.....dude must be crazy
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
nastshabast
8/23/08 5:43:04PM
maybe if the olympic refs were not so garbage...
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/23/08 5:44:10PM

Posted by nastshabast

im sure he deserved a kick to the face

i know the judging is crap but he didnt deserve this

punkgrl-com
8/23/08 6:04:23PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

said WTF secretary general Yang Jin-suk

Made me laugh
Matimus
8/23/08 6:09:30PM

Posted by nastshabast

Nobodies kicked Dan Miragliotta in the face...
Mayo
8/23/08 6:50:44PM
pretty pathetic kick considering the ref was un-phased by it.

see here
nastshabast
8/23/08 7:03:17PM
riddum that was totally a joke and the other guy it's just a matter of time
mikevolz
8/23/08 7:04:39PM
when gilbert yvel hits a ref, you know they aren't getting back up.
nastshabast
8/23/08 7:32:27PM
LINK

olympic boxing scandle headkick headkick headkicks all around
Aether
8/23/08 7:38:23PM

Posted by Mayo

see here

The reason it wasn't very hard is because he swept his leg backward, he didn't throw a normal headkick, his leg was extended and then he bent his knee and hit him with the bottom of his foot, as opposed to kicking with his right leg starting with the knee bent and extending it to hit with the top of the foot.

Since your quads are about a million times more powerful than your hamstrings it's almost impossible to get any kind of REAL power throwing a kick that way. I doubt that just about anyone could KO someone throwing the type of kick he threw. It's really more for scoring points than doing damage.
bojangalz
8/23/08 7:39:04PM
On the brighter side...Elite XC may have found their next big prospect.
Matimus
8/23/08 8:15:35PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by Mayo

see here

The reason it wasn't very hard is because he swept his leg backward, he didn't throw a normal headkick, his leg was extended and then he bent his knee and hit him with the bottom of his foot, as opposed to kicking with his right leg starting with the knee bent and extending it to hit with the top of the foot.

Since your quads are about a million times more powerful than your hamstrings it's almost impossible to get any kind of REAL power throwing a kick that way. I doubt that just about anyone could KO someone throwing the type of kick he threw. It's really more for scoring points than doing damage.

im pretty sure it was his broken toe that caused him to throw a pussy kick.
CantAndleDaRiddum
8/23/08 8:34:45PM

Posted by nastshabast

riddum that was totally a joke and the other guy it's just a matter of time

lol im high
didnt mean to come across as offended.....i didnt exactly type what i meant
actually laughed when i 1st saw it.....if he had hurt ref i think he'd b considered more of prick

lordicast
8/23/08 8:59:13PM
He later said they tried to offer him money to throw the fight earlier that day. then said he kicked him in the head with injured foot to show he was OK to continue. i hart cuba LOL
Mr_Dead_Sexy
8/23/08 9:05:10PM
Gilbert Yvel endorses this thread. Maybe Dana should consider signing him, and letting his first match in the UFC be reffed by Mirgliotta.
Wolfenstein
8/23/08 10:27:08PM
Looked like he punched one of the security guys to. Since the original video link doesn't seem to be up anymore here's another one.

Link
SpiderSilva
8/24/08 1:00:02AM
WTF these Olympics have been all f*cked up
Matimus
8/24/08 6:42:16AM
the olympics have ALWAYS been ****** up
The-Don
8/24/08 9:03:13AM

Posted by Aether

Posted by Mayo

see here

shows how ineffectual TKD is when that is the type of kick someone instantly uses in a fit of anger.. Throw the bum out..
The-Don
8/24/08 9:33:29AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

WTF these Olympics have been all f*cked up

what do you expect when it is being hosted in a communist country that would rather see us all dead in the western world then work with us as our very way of life mocks them and what they beleive... Hell they "cheated" in the opening ceremonies......
dannyfrank
8/24/08 7:55:25PM
for some reason this reminds me of q TKD tournament i went to once. two coaches started talking shit to each other after their students fought and one of them flipped the other off. they then started beating the crap out of each other in the middle of the stadium. very unprofessional, but f*cking hilarious!!
Rush
8/24/08 8:37:57PM
I saw the ordeal. The ref was backing up when the kick was thrown.

There was no subjectivity in the call by the ref. and the guy's reaction was ill chosen and unesscessary.

Sam_Rothstein
8/25/08 8:13:10AM

Posted by Rush

I saw the ordeal. The ref was backing up when the kick was thrown.

There was no subjectivity in the call by the ref. and the guy's reaction was ill chosen and unesscessary.

Agreed, on some sites there seems to be at least one or two guys who have to bring up how crooked judging can be.

I'm sorry but I remember Roy Jones Jr getting completely robbed for the Gold medal in 1988 olympics (they even made a short documentary about it on the history channel)

Roy Jones sure took it pretty well. I mean he didn't go punching refs or judges in that fight.

Pathetic show of sportsmanship and I am glad he was banned from WTF
jakeiceman
8/25/08 8:49:09AM
Seriously all that needs to be said about this is WTF!??? HA HA!
Porch28
8/25/08 7:08:50PM
Here's a link to the video of the kick

LINK