How old was you when you started training???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » How old was you when you started training???
DJBlankenship
5/6/10 10:23:55AM
I'm 29 and going to start karate next week. Not sure if I want to compete or not. I'm a pretty compitive guy, so I'm sure I will at least once lol. I'm mainly doing it because I've enrolled my daughter, who will be 3 next month. I want to teach her some self defense, help install an idea of staying in shape while she is young. Plus she loves the UFC, Rampage and has been telling me for the past 6 months, "I want to be a ninjie" lol.
1daveufc
5/6/10 2:35:14PM
I started traning judo when i was 8 for about 1&half years then done boxing when a was 13 only for about 6 months.Now after a long lay off at the age of 29 i have started doing some mma classes not to compete.Its not that a dont want to compete but finding the time to train enough to get to that level needed is real hard to find.A wish you all the luck with your karate and you never no your little girl may end up the female version of machida
Jackelope
5/6/10 3:59:21PM
Been doing it off and on throughout my life but I didn't get real serious until I was in my late teens. Most of the reason why was because I never had money to be able to afford classes.

IMO you're never too old to start. It can be beneficial for anyone of any age. I've sparred in karate, boxing, wrestling, and jiu jitsu with guys who were anywhere from 12 years old to 60 years old.

One thing that can be frustrating when you're older is getting your ass kicked by a well trained 18 year old, but eventually if your teacher is squared away you'll learn your lessons of humility and come to realize that you're all there to help each other.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/6/10 11:53:52PM
Jackelope's last competition-the 18 year old is in purple. Jackelope in white. Afterward you see his squared away teacher giving him a lesson of humility and telling him that they're all there to help each other.

VIDEO

My parents thought it would be a good idea to take karate at a very young age so I did it from 6-11 and then stopped because I began playing hockey which took up all my time. I began doing BJJ at 16 and then stopped two years later because I graduate HS during that time and thought partying was cooler. I've since began taking classes again at my university but the old body doesn't respond like it once used to respond.
jae_1833
5/7/10 12:51:37AM
I've been wrestling since I was 13-14.....and am 32. I've been doing a little bit of boxing over the last couple of years too, about 3 years now.
DJBlankenship
5/7/10 9:30:23AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
I've since began taking classes again at my university but the old body doesn't respond like it once used to respond.

thats what I'm afraid of lol. I played basketball in high school and now my knees aren't the best in the world. On the bright side of things, for the past year I've been on a fitness binge. Lost about 50 pounds and I feel my cardio is great. Hell I'm running 6 miles a day and doing p90x. I guess now I should have kept doing the yoga. I'm about has flexible has a 4 x 4 post lol.
Jackelope
5/7/10 9:40:54AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Jackelope's last competition-the 18 year old is in purple. Jackelope in white. Afterward you see his squared away teacher giving him a lesson of humility and telling him that they're all there to help each other.

VIDEO

My parents thought it would be a good idea to take karate at a very young age so I did it from 6-11 and then stopped because I began playing hockey which took up all my time. I began doing BJJ at 16 and then stopped two years later because I graduate HS during that time and thought partying was cooler. I've since began taking classes again at my university but the old body doesn't respond like it once used to respond.

Ha. Not quite I was speaking from the experience of seeing other older guys in the gym

The day I go out like that or get caught wearing a gi and a body protector in a point sparring competition ever again is the day I might as well pack it up and cash it in. None of that karate stuff for me
BlueSkiesBurn
5/7/10 2:29:25PM
I couldn't resist. Plus, you set it up so beautifully with the lessons of humility thing. I'd been looking at videos already and that one just popped into my mind.

Yeah, I played basketball as well and really did a number on my knees. What I find really helps me before a workout, with regard to my knees, is some swimming. Playing goalie in hockey hasn't helped my knees either. So, if I work too hard my knees are shot for a couple of days and I have to take it easy.
RyanC
5/7/10 5:01:16PM
Started doing MMA, and BJJ last year at the age of 25 (couple weeks before my 26 bday) and started doing Judo yesterday. I also plan to join a boxing gym up the road from my house before my 27th birthday, and I have a very strong interest in Muay Thai.

I'd never done anything like it before in my life, and was very nervous about starting, but I decided to go for it, and I really haven't looked back. I love everything about it, and plan to continue my training as long as my body will allow it.