Old-School Vale Tudo Org IVC Returns with New Rules, Cage

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Old-School Vale Tudo Org IVC Returns with New Rules, Cage
FastKnockout
1/24/12 7:22:53PM
The seminal fight promotion which propelled the careers of Wanderlei Silva and many others is primed to return to Brazil after a 12-year absence.

This week, in an interview with Brazilian TV channel Combate’s “Face to Face” program, International Vale Tudo Championship (IVC) Founder Sergio Batarelli discussed plans to revive the organization he started in 1997.

“I was the first one to bring the UFC to Brazil, and since then, I’ve kept an excellent relationship with the UFC people,” explained Batarelli, 51, who was instrumental in arranging “Ultimate Brazil” in 1998. “They said the UFC needs a top event in Brazil to select fighters, like I used to do in the ‘90s. After talking with them, I got together a group of top sponsors, and the IVC will be back in the middle of the year with a new name, IVC MMA, and new rules.”

Along with the new moniker and as-yet-unannounced guidelines, IVC MMA will trade its vale tudo-era net-lined ring for a cage upon its return.

LINK
Bubbles
1/24/12 7:27:01PM
cant wait for the new school Wanderlei and Shogun to emerge
Kpro
1/24/12 7:32:29PM

Posted by FastKnockout

“They said the UFC needs a top event in Brazil to select fighters, like I used to do in the ‘90s.

Wow, how did that slap in the face feel Wallid Ismail? UFC no approve of your Jungle Fights?

tcunningham
1/24/12 8:19:36PM
we'll see what happens. i rarely have much confidence in new organizations. i know IVC technically isnt new, its still new. we might see one or two fighters come from IVS, but i think the shoguns and ax murderers are still out there though. the real hotbed for MMA is the united states though
prophecy033
1/24/12 8:22:53PM
I have some old Chuck and Wanderlei fights from IVC and I have to say I like the bare-knuckle fights. Chucks fight against Pele' was classic
Bubbles
1/24/12 8:24:24PM

Posted by prophecy033

I have some old Chuck and Wanderlei fights from IVC and I have to say I like the bare-knuckle fights. Chucks fight against Pele' was classic

havent seen that but i remember watching old Igor bareknucke fights. that guy still scares me
ianinspain
1/25/12 7:04:33AM
Some of the stuff you can see of Mark Kerr from the early days looks pretty brutal, with headbutts from the mount etc. Too close to the bone for most fight fans but a few are still good to watch.
warglory
1/25/12 1:14:29PM
IVC was cool, especially with all the talent it produced, but at the same time, because of the lack of rules, you'll notice that there is far less finesse in those fights, and much more survival brawling where the guy who looks a little less battered won.

They tried to bring this back with Rio Heroes, and despite those guys being more talented, it still came off as just being like amateur fights with far less technique. I think if IVC maintains the old school rule set, they will acquire some novelty value, but the product simply won't be as good. If they simply allow soccer kicks and stomps ala PRIDE, there may be a wider market that will allow for talented fighters to jump in.