old school vs new school

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » old school vs new school
jocksmall
2/9/07 8:01:57PM
could any of the old school guys from the early 1990s be ufc or pride champ against current competition?
royce was no match for matt. but what about marco ruas or don frye, could they (in there prime )beat todays talent?
i think they could compete at a high level but would probably be ranked top 10 maybe top 5 at 205lbs but not champ.
agree or disagree?
Reignofterror
2/9/07 8:30:50PM
I think with todays training methods evolving mostly benefiting younger fighters there'll be a point where some of the old school fighters such as Royce or Severn simply won't be able to keep up anywhere. Supplementation, Diet, and excercise have evolved to the point to where some fighters are almost superhumans compared to fighters of the past.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/9/07 8:39:36PM
yeah they would all compete well and be champs prolly if they committed themselves they way fighters do now...

back then fighting was not their first priority..they had to get second jobs so they wouldnt train to full potential...but now that you can fight full time and make great money doing it they can train and fight full time

so yea...they could all be just as good as anyone right now
hippysmacker
2/9/07 11:01:40PM
If you could transport one through time with the skills they had then, I still say no. They aren't as well rounded as the fighter's of today. However, if you gave them the time to develop and be more well rounded I think many of them would be. Warriors are warriors, If you have the heart and will to be the best you will. That being said the fighter from before the year 2000 who retired and could be the most successful if he time traveled to now would be Frank Shamrock. He's a loudmouth jerk now, but he was the most well rounded fighter of his time IMO.
Svartorm
2/10/07 12:06:50AM
Frank Shamrock and Don Frye in his prime could hang right now, but I don't think he'd be champs. Maybe even a young Ken Shamrock.
hippysmacker
2/10/07 12:16:54AM

Posted by Svartorm

Frank Shamrock and Don Frye in his prime could hang right now, but I don't think he'd be champs. Maybe even a young Ken Shamrock.

All would have to swallow there Pride to learn more( from other people) and get better however. I don't know if Ken would do that. I could see Frye doing it, he took lessons from Frank once already. Put him with Militech Or Jackson's camp and I think he would be a great one even if started in this ERA.All 3 are legends of thier time, and all 3 had more than one skill even when they started so I agree the transition would be easier for them.
jay98107
2/10/07 1:05:38AM
Frank Shamrock could easily destroy people today, and still does.
crimethinc
2/10/07 4:21:12AM
Since a lot of us are completely accustomed to the new definiton of Mixed Martial Arts, watching older MMA events is pretty laughable. Those were the days when it was literally brawlers vs. wrestlers. vs. kickboxers vs. karate guys etc. etc. A lot of the fighters came in from there discipline and competed against other guys from different disciplines. That's why Royce was able to dominate because no one really knew about BJJ and it's power in a NHB competition. But now with every guy in MMA rounding out his skills to include at least some form of striking, grappling, and submission the old school one dimensional fighters would be overwhelmed.

I think this is answering the initial question, but if you are asking if the fighter as an athlete would be able to compete in today's MMA. Of course. Anybody with the physical capability, heart, and willingness to train hard has a shot at being a great fighter.
hippysmacker
2/10/07 5:22:17AM

Posted by jay98107

Frank Shamrock could easily destroy people today, and still does.

Frank has skills, but it's been a long time since he fought someone I would even consider to 20 . After he dispatches Renzo and Baroni( both fight's he should win and not top 20 IMO) I think he should fight Lousea . If he could find a way to fight a top 5 fighter I might be sold on him again
madmarck
2/10/07 6:31:40AM

Posted by Svartorm

A young Ken Shamrock would get busted for roids. Not to mention he would get his ass owned at HW. Frank would have the best chance. Just for the simple fact that he best explefies cross training of the old days. He would have the best chance becasue he is the most like the fighters of today.
OchoCinco
2/10/07 8:11:00AM

Posted by hippysmacker

If you could transport one through time with the skills they had then, I still say no. They aren't as well rounded as the fighter's of today. However, if you gave them the time to develop and be more well rounded I think many of them would be. Warriors are warriors, If you have the heart and will to be the best you will. That being said the fighter from before the year 2000 who retired and could be the most successful if he time traveled to now would be Frank Shamrock. He's a loudmouth jerk now, but he was the most well rounded fighter of his time IMO.

Todays fighters are just to well rounded for the old guys.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Drago
2/10/07 9:07:47AM
The sport has evolved, its becomming more and more professional. As the pay checks increase the incentive also increses to train harder and use the latest supplements. Long may it continue.
zephead
2/10/07 9:33:32AM
In the beginning you had BJJ. Then the wrestlers hit the scene. The guys starting realizing that cardio played a big part in lasting in a fight i.e. Maurice Smith and Frank Shamrock. MMA was going through phases with certian styles dominating and then Fran Shamrock showed that you had to be wellrounded with great cardio to win.

Just look at how much power Big Daddy and Tank could pack in a punch, but they couldn't win it all. I look at really 1 guy from back in the day that in their prime now could compete: Frank Shamrock. He had it all except a good attitude.

shackle
2/10/07 11:15:29AM
Not unless the step up, and start learning the new age stuff.

They will also need to train alot harder then old school fighers did.

So learn more new age fighting techniques, and better training = maybe.

pv3Hpv3p
2/13/07 1:04:52PM
I think Igor Vovchanchyn would do well in LHW...

Bas Rutten would do well at whatever weight he wanted...

Is Pedro Rizzo considered old school??? Could you imagine if he trained at Chutebox???

Pedro Rizzo's striking & chin + Wandy or Shogun's aggressive style = Dominante HW in any org...
hippysmacker
2/13/07 1:27:45PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I think Igor Vovchanchyn would do well in LHW...

Bas Rutten would do well at whatever weight he wanted...

Is Pedro Rizzo considered old school??? Could you imagine if he trained at Chutebox???

Pedro Rizzo's striking & chin + Wandy or Shogun's aggressive style = Dominante HW in any org...

I agree with Igor and Rutten. However, I think Rizzo's problem's have always been mental. That' why he was so inconsistent. Maybe a phschiatrist could help him or something. he's only 31 now and has lost to Zentsov and Kharitanov in spectacular fashion back to back. It's a shame he was always a favorite of mine. His Ko's of Barnett/Arlovski are two of the greatest ever, and his first fight with Randy is an all-time great IMO.
pv3Hpv3p
2/13/07 1:44:26PM
That's why I thought if he could rewind a few years and train at Chutebox, Who I think is known for their ultra-aggressive style, it could change his fighting mindset...

It was a shame that it seemed so hard for Pedro to pull the trigger... Could you imagine if he came out like Wandy!!!

It was almost painful to watch his last UFC fight against Ricco... Seemed like he could have picked him apart if he just engaged... Still one of my all-time favorites though.
HulkRage
9/30/07 1:42:12PM
Bas would dominate.
fullerene
9/30/07 1:51:37PM
I don't know if any could be champs, but if they got the same path as others--starting out fighting against contenders and then working out at top camps as they moved up the ladder--there would be several guys who had a chance to do well: Rickson Gracie, Igor Vovchanchin, Marco Ruas, Don Frye, both Shamrocks, Sakuraba, Tom Erickson, Bas--they all had the right mindset, athleticism and at least part of the skill set to be successful.

Don't forget that these guys did not have the same weight classes back then. So, even though they were both UFC HW champs, the question would be whether Bas could compete at 205 (he was as light as Rampage) and whether Saku could compete at 170 (he was as light as Hughes or St. Pierre),,,I wouldn't bet against that.
tepid55
9/30/07 10:00:10PM
I would love to see Oleg Taktarov come back. He would submit everyone he faced.