Old-School Event Sparks Backlash In Brazil

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Old-School Event Sparks Backlash In Brazil
DCRage
9/26/07 10:45:02AM
Rio Heroes, an MMA show in Brazil produced for a Brazilian website, is to hold its next event tonight and air it online for free. What makes it controversial is it's an "old-school" style event similar to UFC in its early days-no gloves, no time limit, and pretty much no rules.

Article

It sounds interesting because they are trying to make it like UFC originally was when it was bare-knuckle no-holds-barred fighting, but that's what's making it controversial in Brazil. But what really strikes me as well is the promoter says he's not promoting MMA, his events are street fights yet he claims he's trying to return MMA to its origins.
Darnok
9/26/07 11:15:01AM
Rio Heroes is a joke as far as I am concerned. It was because of this caveman attitude that kept MMA from being sanctioned for so many years. If this continues someone will get hurt and put MMA a huge step backward.
edge0125
9/26/07 1:34:25PM
i actually liked it, it reminded me of the old ufc days.

The event was by far the craziest event ive seen. ze pequeno the that ended up winning the tournament held triangle choke for like 15sec after the guy tapped.
There was a brawl in the crowed after an eye gouge.
in the finals these guys fought for like 25min straight
O-Guns
9/26/07 2:44:53PM
Does anyone know if this is being televised or where we could catch is madness!!!

babalu2720
9/26/07 3:41:25PM

Posted by Darnok

Rio Heroes is a joke as far as I am concerned. It was because of this caveman attitude that kept MMA from being sanctioned for so many years. If this continues someone will get hurt and put MMA a huge step backward.

Agreed this is the reason why people look down on MMA and now people are praising it? Are u kidding me? This is a huge step backward and i'm sorry but for the people who like this then maybe Marlon Sims is the fighter of choice for u
mrsmiley
9/26/07 6:53:07PM
For the sport this will be a bad mark,but damnit,I'm kind of glad that their's a hardcore event!
bezun
9/27/07 2:31:44PM
If it were held in the states at a venue it would be a black eye for the sport. Although i do feel that this has the potential to be a detriment to the evolution of people's acceptance to mma, I do think that it can be considered a throw back to tradition and the basic stripped down form of professional mixed martial arts. This return to the roots of vale tudo is akin to the kimbo fights here on the you tube. I dont think it will hold valence enough to have a negative impact. It is embracing the roots of this sport but yes, of course people can use it to hinder the sports image and growth. word.