Old news, but..

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Old news, but..
POLL: Should the UFC try to establish a fighter's union like MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL?
Yes 59% (26)
No 18% (8)
Only if Don King thinks so 23% (10)
Jackelope
2/1/09 4:49:29PM
I'd never seen it posted before. So I figured I'd post this video up and get some thoughts. It's an extremely well done piece IMO

Fighter's union?

burialchamber
2/1/09 6:24:50PM
Awesome. This was very interesting- thanks for posting!

This is beside the main point, but I thought the interviewer's comment right at the end was very insightful: "Dana embodies the culture that he's selling". That's a really good way of putting it.
aaa9erh8er
2/1/09 6:27:11PM
at first i didnt se the point but the video nailed it just in the first few minutes. i never thought of life after retirement no pension etc etc..... madical insurance the whole nine. i really see it working but then we may have rally over payed talent and free agent type **** like the NFL
Jackelope
2/1/09 11:35:37PM

Posted by burialchamber

Awesome. This was very interesting- thanks for posting!

This is beside the main point, but I thought the interviewer's comment right at the end was very insightful: "Dana embodies the culture that he's selling". That's a really good way of putting it.

I really enjoyed that quote, too. Strange that we would both pick up on that. Props!
cmill21
2/2/09 2:49:39AM
I hope they get one. Some think it will ruin the UFC but they thought it would ruin MLB, NHL, NFL and the NBA to...
bls1919
2/2/09 7:15:28PM
Its a good idea IMO. Protect the fighters from the company...who really is only doing this for their own monitary gain.
tlangley
2/5/09 9:36:25PM
SO why is Don King and Kimbo in every poll?
Franklinfan47
2/5/09 11:04:59PM
A union would hopefully be able to appease everybody and stop all the complaining
roadking95th
2/5/09 11:17:31PM
According to law, or I should say soon to be law, if 51% of the fighters want to be union there isn't anything the UFC can do. They would have two options: accept the union or close shop. That's not close shop and start up in another state, that's close shop for good. Also, the law would call for binding bureaucratic arbitration.

Extra credit: Where is the only place in the US that unions are forbidden by law and why?
*don't keep looking unless you want the answer
In congress! You know, their aides and such. And the reason? It would get in the way of getting business done. hmmmmmm....

sorry if this qualifies as politics. if so delete it, but it is all true. and deals with the topic.
RhythmAndStyle
2/6/09 12:41:50PM
i'm all for this...