Old Man Karate vs. Young Man MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Old Man Karate vs. Young Man MMA
nastshabast
11/14/07 12:48:38AM
I guess this dude thought he could beat any MMA fighter but instead just stands there and gets ****** up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I
Mastodon2
11/14/07 2:51:30AM
Fair enough, but thats not Karate that the old guy is doing. Classic video though, that "Kiai Master" gets schooled!
Jackelope
11/14/07 3:18:21AM
Yeah I personally don't like the whole dissing of classic styles thing that seems to be a part of a lot of modern day MMA fans. I guess that's probably due to the fact that you've got a lot of streetfighting dudes who enjoy MMA competition.

I could post a video of a streetfighter getting his ass whooped by some nerdy karate kid, but meh.. what's the point? People will believe what they want to believe.

The above aside- that Kiai master is one of those guys who's making a buck off the "unknown" in martial arts. He deserves that ass whooping.
Mastodon2
11/14/07 12:25:17PM
I think a lot of discrediting the old school martial arts has to do with the "tough guy" mentality, these young guys (the main demographic who derride the traditional arts) has to do with the fact that these guys feel the need for everyone to think they are naturally tough, and they want everyone, themselves included, to believe that they are so naturally tough that they could beat a martial artist in a fight.

That said, a lot of pure martial artists would lose to these "tough guys" in MMA fights, since most martial artists dont train wrestling, and can often be Lay n Prayed. That said, you can Lay and pray and win the contest, but you can still losr the fight imo.

That said, I still dont believe, no matter what Taekwondo practicioners say, that TKD has much practical application in a real life combat situation. It looks fantastic, and its obviously very good for flexibility, but the techniques just arent useful or practical. Furthermore, things like Dim-mak and the one inch punch just dont sway me. I won't be fooled by myths and legends. However, things like Karate, and some chinese arts, are, despite what many MMA fans say, effective striking systems. So yeah, they aren't Muay Thai, but thats just how she goes!

One thing I would love to see though, all these guys who say that Karate is crap etc, mostly internet warriors / high school wrestlers turned "MMA" fighters, fight Feitosa or Hug if he were still alive. Even under wrestling biased MMA rules, 99.9% of them would still go away crying or unconscious. And then post on Sherdog about how the ref distracted them or something.
rcg916
11/14/07 12:38:24PM
I think that we should all be able to agree that without the old, there wouldnt be the new...

Its a building process it seems to me, over time what works sticks, and what doesnt is modified... but it all came from somewhere.
TNunley
11/14/07 12:45:31PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I think a lot of discrediting the old school martial arts has to do with the "tough guy" mentality, these young guys (the main demographic who derride the traditional arts) has to do with the fact that these guys feel the need for everyone to think they are naturally tough, and they want everyone, themselves included, to believe that they are so naturally tough that they could beat a martial artist in a fight.

That said, a lot of pure martial artists would lose to these "tough guys" in MMA fights, since most martial artists dont train wrestling, and can often be Lay n Prayed. That said, you can Lay and pray and win the contest, but you can still losr the fight imo.

That said, I still dont believe, no matter what Taekwondo practicioners say, that TKD has much practical application in a real life combat situation. It looks fantastic, and its obviously very good for flexibility, but the techniques just arent useful or practical. Furthermore, things like Dim-mak and the one inch punch just dont sway me. I won't be fooled by myths and legends. However, things like Karate, and some chinese arts, are, despite what many MMA fans say, effective striking systems. So yeah, they aren't Muay Thai, but thats just how she goes!

One thing I would love to see though, all these guys who say that Karate is crap etc, mostly internet warriors / high school wrestlers turned "MMA" fighters, fight Feitosa or Hug if he were still alive. Even under wrestling biased MMA rules, 99.9% of them would still go away crying or unconscious. And then post on Sherdog about how the ref distracted them or something.

Isn't GSP a black belt in Karate? Isn't that why he has such great standup?
Mastodon2
11/14/07 12:51:55PM

Posted by TNunley

Isn't GSP a black belt in Karate? Isn't that why he has such great standup?

Excellent point, and yet another thing that people off neglect to consider when trashing martial arts. Furthermore, Semmy Schilt started in Karate and look at him now. Granted he is technically poor compared to the other K-1 elite and has gone a long way with his size, but Karate obviously provided a good base for him as a fighter, and paved the way for his more Muay Thai based style now.
Jackelope
11/14/07 1:19:57PM
There's a lot of guys that are. Chuck Liddell is a Kempo stylist. Check the tat on his arm yourselves.

I believe GSP is a kyokushin karate guy.

Luke Cummo is a weird guy, but he's proven to be tough with good standup and he's an "old schooler"

The list could go on forever, but there's no point dragging it out that far.

TKD in the crazy flipping kicking spinning form I'm not a big fan of. At all. But TKD in the reverse-punching, wheel kicking, side kicking, and roundhouse kicking format I am a big fan of. I did it when I was a LOT younger, and personally think the style is filled with too much "crap" but I have competed in several open martial arts tournaments and there are several times I've been outstruck by TKD guys. This is after 4 years of kenpo karate and kickboxing training under Mike Winkeljohn's system. TKD guys defenses were always weak, but their lightning fast kicks and punches were nothing to scoff at.
nastshabast
11/14/07 1:20:34PM
Regardless of history of fighting and roots/origins, you can't help but laugh seeing dude get kicked in the face. Do you think he actually believed he could win this or any fight against a mma fighter? IMO old man watched one to many Steven Segal movies and straight up and down gets whooped.
TNunley
11/14/07 3:26:57PM
Ya know, I had a sensei once who was poking fun at a Karate studio down the street because the guy claimed he could punch you without punching you... the force of air would be so great you would feel the impact (or something like that). I talked to the Karate instructor, and believe it or not he did claim to be able to do so, but wouldn't prove it.... Anyway, am I the only one who noticed in the movie with the "Master" that he never actually struck anyone? It was like very poorly performed hollywood choreography... unless this guy claims the whole striking without impact jazz.
mrsmiley
11/14/07 5:56:20PM
Back before they revamped the Bas Rutten forums I posted a video of this and Bas responded to it.He said he met a supposed "Chi" master who could knock him out without hitting him.Bas said the guy tried and needles to say it didn't work.The master told Bas he couldn't knock him out because he wasn't angry.I'll never forget what Bas said because it was halarious.Bas told him,"kick me in the nuts and then i'll be angry."

Once it again,needles to say he didn't kick Bas in the nuts.
Mastodon2
11/14/07 7:15:22PM

Posted by TNunley

Ya know, I had a sensei once who was poking fun at a Karate studio down the street because the guy claimed he could punch you without punching you... the force of air would be so great you would feel the impact (or something like that). I talked to the Karate instructor, and believe it or not he did claim to be able to do so, but wouldn't prove it.... Anyway, am I the only one who noticed in the movie with the "Master" that he never actually struck anyone? It was like very poorly performed hollywood choreography... unless this guy claims the whole striking without impact jazz.

Yeah thats what its all about, he teaches his students that the power of sheer will can create a sort of telepathic strike or throw. I saw an American news segment where this Karate sensei claimed to know how to do it, and was doing it to his students, then they tried it on the reporter and she just stood there, she was playing along, and the whole thing fell to bits!
mrsmiley
11/15/07 9:50:36AM
I saw that too!

I think a lot of this is just a mind game.If you believe the guy is going to use chi power to knock you out,he probably will.However,if your a skeptic like me,you will feel nothing.