To old to start??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » To old to start??
blb8698
9/15/09 6:48:56AM
Hey guys I've ben looking to start training in a few months and my intentions are definatly to compete. I've had a few comments about age and just wanted to see what people thought. I'm turning 26 this month a few people have said its to late to start training now because most people have been training for mma or atleast one form of martial arts for years. What do you guys think? I'm going to do it no matter what I just wanted to see what some mma fans had to think of this.
RyanC
9/15/09 12:48:41PM
I didn't start training until a a few weeks before my 26th birthday. Do you actually want to fight? It might be too late for that, but I don't really know I guess. I'm gonna attempt to compete in BJJ tournaments at some point, and no one seems to think I'm too old to do it.
shift
9/15/09 2:01:42PM
It depends on how athletic you are. Randy Coutoure started at 31
Rush
9/15/09 2:31:19PM

Posted by shift

It depends on how athletic you are. Randy Coutoure started at 31

Yes, but Randy was an established wrestler long before that. The MMA world was also different back then, being more of an older man's sport where most top competitors were late 20s to early 30s.

If you have no prior martial arts experience I think it will be very hard for you to compete at any reasonably high level.
RyanC
9/15/09 3:12:08PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by shift

If you have no prior martial arts experience I think it will be very hard for you to compete at any reasonably high level.

I agree with this statement if you are saying compete in MMA, but I've been told by instructors, and other members at my gym that it is not unreasonable for me to try to compete in BJJ at some point in the future. There are plenty of older guys at the school I go to.

Competing in MMA would be a tough one unless you are a terrific athlete, and a fast study. Too risky otherwise. You could really get your clock cleaned.
Rush
9/15/09 6:27:07PM

Posted by RyanC

I agree with this statement if you are saying compete in MMA, but I've been told by instructors, and other members at my gym that it is not unreasonable for me to try to compete in BJJ at some point in the future. There are plenty of older guys at the school I go to.

Competing in MMA would be a tough one unless you are a terrific athlete, and a fast study. Too risky otherwise. You could really get your clock cleaned.

Yes, BJJ is a whole other ball game. Besides beginners being older, competition starts early.

I agree, in MMA competition, you would likely be up against guys that have some solid base skill and have been doing MMA for at least a few years.

One thing that I didn't add to my original post, which was written in haste, was also the process of learning "MMA" compared to a single skill.

1) A sizable number (but not all) MMA gyms do not always have the best teachers for every thing they teach. For example, Toronto BJJ is technically an MMA school. Their level of BJJ instruction is very high, but their muay thai instruction (last I heard) is not as good as you would get at a muay thai school. Therefore you may not get the best instruction in all aspects of MMA. This may not be an issue for someone that has a strong base, particularly in weakly instructed aspects.

2) Despite that some people have vehemently argued this point with me, I strongly believe (or rather and convinced) that there are some fundamental differences in body mechanics between stand up and grappling. Learning BJJ, wrestling and striking all at once, with no prior background in training, could be frustrating and possibly even detrimental (i.e. you become mediocre at all three) to your training.
blb8698
9/16/09 5:52:23AM
I would definalty love to get in the ring at some point if the oppurtunity came about on the lower level. I wouldn't be looking to be fighting any top guys or make it big. For me its I love the sport I have been a huge fan for a long time. So I figured what the hell there's a school right down the street you only live once why not give it shot and see where it goes from there. If I never get to fight maybe I can do some tournaments like yous were saying. If I do get to fight and I get my clock cleaned (big possibility lol) it will be an experience.
Rush
9/16/09 9:45:14AM
Well in that case, go for it. Just don't rush it. My advice would be to train until you are 30 before you actually compete (for real). I'm 32 right now, and although I have no desire to compete in MMA, I feel I can keep up and beat most of the young whips at the stamina aspect.

I approach training for the technical and fitness aspects, rather than the competition aspects.
blb8698
9/16/09 10:45:54AM
Yeah I am definatly not going to rush into it. I want to take my time and absorb everything I can. After a few years then we will see how it goes from there. Competings not my #1 I am with you with the technical and fitness part of it. For me its just if the oppertunity comes we'll see how I feel and how my trainers feel and go from there.
haggiswashere
9/17/09 12:09:05AM
Honestly if you don't try it you will always regret it. Don't let anyone tell you your too old and if they do say so let it motivate you.
blb8698
9/17/09 7:04:54AM
Thats how I feel that if I don't give it a try I'm always going to say damn I wish I would have tried that. I have been thinking of doing it for a few yars now. I was going to start about 2 years ago but my fiance got pregnant so with the finances I had to put it on the back burner for awhile. Now my sone is 15 months old and everythings back to normal. So I'm going tonight after work to meet with the trainers and go over the schedule and all that.
fuseven
9/29/09 9:26:36PM
Go for it. I'm 27 and just had my first mma class. I'm sore as can be, but you will definitely regret it if you never try it, I know that's how I would have felt.

Go kick some ass dude!
blb8698
9/30/09 7:18:03AM
Yeah I am man tomorrow is my first class I can't wait
madmarck
10/6/09 8:54:27PM
who really cares when you start. if your older you career in whatever sport it is will just be shorter. Whether it is MMA, BJJ, Muay thai, Hockey , soccer, or dance. if you do well in a sport who cares. 26 isnt old.
fuseven
10/24/09 3:27:28PM
So how's the training been going?

I'm a month in and been loving every minute of it
blb8698
1/16/10 10:18:31PM
Sorry for the delay in the reply. I ran into some bad luck with my scheduling and stuff. My next week I had a guy at work get hurt and had to cover his schedule then on top of it my fiance got sick then my son got sick the next week then the following week I got it. So I talked it over wit hmy trainer and we agreed to start at a later date. Anyway long story short i'm starting my training all over march 1st. I'm also applying to be a prison guard so that should help out in the job. Where do you train?