Okami vs. Silva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Okami vs. Silva
EEKS
6/15/07 2:28:05PM
What do u guys think? How good are Okami's chances against Franklin?
fight
EEKS
6/15/07 2:30:27PM
xchickox
6/15/07 2:45:24PM
thats an awesome ko

okami has gotta take franklin down, or he will ko him
szucconi
6/15/07 2:47:13PM
that is not a ko, its a DQ
papercut
6/15/07 3:54:02PM

Posted by EEKS

What do u guys think? How good are Okami's chances against Franklin?

his chances with Franklin are slim because Franklin is a big middleweight and even if Okami takes it to the ground Rich could over power him and get the fight back on the feet where I see Fanklin winning by KO/TKO
NME
6/15/07 3:58:27PM
Hm.

If I hadn't known that the fight ended in a DQ ahead of time, I would have been at a loss. It never crossed my mind that you could be disqualified for an up kick regardless of the circumstance. It is a maneuver where you cannot necessarily aim your shot with a great degree of accuracy, and while the person executing the maneuver can certainly get good power behind the kick, gravity is working against them, which is, in part, what separates a blow like this from, say, a soccer kick on a downed opponent. The latter, I think we'd all agree, being the more dangerous maneuver for the recipient.

Not to take anything away from Anderson Silva, but I sort of feel that knock outs (whether later determined a DQ or not) by way of up kick are flukes on some level. Anderson did seem to be able to largely defend Okami's take down attempts while the fight lasted, but I wonder how the subsequent fights Okami has had/won since his fight against Silva have prepared him for a possible rematch. I think the outcome of the Franklin v. Okami match, in particular, will go a long way in determining how Okami would fair in a rematch with Silva.
szucconi
6/15/07 4:25:00PM
Okami was on his knees, so it was a kick to the head of a downed opponent, regardless of the fact that Silva was also down. I think Silva is vulnerable to Okami's style in the same manner the Franklin is vulnerable to Silva's style.
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 4:33:16PM

Posted by szucconi

...I think Silva is vulnerable to Okami's style in the same manner the Franklin is vulnerable to Silva's style.

Sucks for Silva, considering who he's fighting next

EEKS
6/15/07 6:06:05PM
I agree with Papercut, in order for Okami to take the win he needs to take the fight to the ground and pound out a win, but i dont believe that will happen, lets say Rich does get taken down, he has a very evasive guard and in my opinion will get up to his feet and mostly likely win by TKO.
gutoo
6/16/07 6:13:22PM
joe rogan said that silva canĀ“t submit franklin this is bullshit because silva is so tgecnic better than frabklin on the ground, franklin is sux on the ground;
BispingFutureChampLance
6/16/07 8:11:51PM
What a boring fight, Okami won the 3rd round by far more than Franklin won the first two, but a round is a round and Franklin did bearly win two of three. Neither Franklin or Okami can be Silva!
Northrend
6/17/07 1:31:03AM

Posted by BispingFutureChampLance

What a boring fight, Okami won the 3rd round by far more than Franklin won the first two, but a round is a round and Franklin did bearly win two of three. Neither Franklin or Okami can be Silva!

Well I agree that both can't beat Silva but the fight wasn't that boring. Alot of people now seem to expect every MMA fight to be a Forrest/Bonnar or Griffin/Guida style fight but the fact is there not allways gona be like that.
gutoo
6/17/07 3:58:20AM
well for me the things for franklin ,lutter and the other challengers for the belt will be more difficult because paulo filho wil fight in UFC and he is in top3 and for me he can beat anyone,but he is a friend of silva they trained in BTT and he said that never will fight against silva so
when silva lose the belt or retire for me filho would be the challenger for the belt