Okami not getting his shot at Silva?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Okami not getting his shot at Silva?
Pskinner_mma314
8/5/08 3:40:15AM
I heard the announcement the other day about how Cote is getting the title shot at Silva, which I personally think is bullshit.

The only one Okami has lost to in the UFC was Franklin and it went to desicion, and he has pretty much beat everyone else they put in from of him, and its not exactly a list of nobodies. Swick, Tanner, MacDonald, Starnes(pre Quarry fight), and Belcher.

Cote has beaten some tough guys, but none of them REALLY stand out to me, the best I can say is Grove. And if Cote fights Silva the way he did Almeida, he's gonna get his head blown off within a few minutes.

So can someone please tell me why Cote gets the shot before Okami. Even with Okami's broken hand, I think they should let Silva fight a few times at LHW, just so they have to bounce Silva around too much, makes for interesting scenarios.
TheConcreteKid
8/5/08 7:41:59AM
I definitely agree with you, I think it is simply because Cote has had 4 wins since his last lost, whereas Okami only has 2.
ufcboss
8/5/08 7:45:05AM
Someone correct me if im wrong but Yushin broke his hand, So they wont freeze the title fight for Silva V Okami, No way.

Ask Karo about his title shot.
DCRage
8/5/08 7:46:52AM
It's largely, maybe only because of the injury. Although one could argue that Okami is maybe in the same boat as Ryoto (Lyoto) Machida in getting denied title shots-while they win and win consistently, many see their fights as "boring" and that's used against them.
Rush
8/5/08 8:39:43AM
I think it makes little difference. I think Patrick has a better chance than Okami. I saw Okami going down in Rd 1 KO, whereas Patrick could last longer.
ufcboss
8/5/08 9:16:21AM

Posted by Rush

I think it makes little difference. I think Patrick has a better chance than Okami. I saw Okami going down in Rd 1 KO, whereas Patrick could last longer.

Really, I seen it going the complete other way! But dont worry this only means one thing, Easy pick!!!

WAR ANDERSON SLIVA (This man is so good, He should be in the MMA-ARMY!)
Matimus
8/5/08 9:30:53AM
why give the fight to the boring guy who will beat your star champ by decision?

Thats what Dana is thinking.

Personally, Id love to see it. rather then a 1st round homicide
Jlloyd
8/5/08 10:01:29AM
Okami definately deserves his shot

Cote has far from impressed me, and he only beat Almeida due to Almeida gassing, otherwise he probably would of won

I really just want to see Silva at LH now, theres so many potentially exciting fights which would challenge him, rather than just watching him whipping MW after MW's ass
bullettdodger
8/5/08 10:22:59AM

Posted by ufcboss

Someone correct me if im wrong but Yushin broke his hand, So they wont freeze the title fight for Silva V Okami, No way.

Ask Karo about his title shot.

No... you are in fact correct, im pretty sure Okami Silva was all but inked and signed before the injury
Twenty20Dollars
8/5/08 12:18:43PM
Okami will get his shot after he gets healed up and after cote gets his shot.

Okami has the better shot of beating anderson than cote does.
JimiMak
8/5/08 6:01:37PM
Belts need to be defended, one guy gets hurt you move down the list.
Rush
8/5/08 9:01:30PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Okami has the better shot of beating anderson than cote does.

Why is that?

I think Silva is a bad match up for Okami. Okami does most of his work in the clinch to get a good ground and pound and he usually eats at least a good solid punch in each of his fights getting in there. I bet he eats at least 2 or 3 shots trying to clinch with Anderson, and then what will happen? He'll get mauled in the clinch. Okami had a hard time with Franklin because he couldn't execute his game plan and look at what Silva did to Franklin.

Also, Okami is a slow starter and probably wouldn't ramp up until the 3rd round or so. Anderson will dispatch him by then. IMO, the guy to beat Silva will be one that is a quick starter that will not let Anderson feel you out. I think Patrick has the potential to come out and go for broke. I think Patrick has better striking from the clinch than Okami and has the ability to drop a lot of fighters with a big shot from the clinch.
Kracker_Jap
8/5/08 9:45:27PM

Posted by ufcboss

Posted by Rush

Really, I seen it going the complete other way! But dont worry this only means one thing, Easy pick!!!

The way I see it
Franklinfan47
8/7/08 6:01:54PM
I feel bad for Okami missing out on his title shot too, but what can you do, he's injured.
twisted22
8/7/08 6:27:29PM
So what are the odds of Okami getting his shot after Cote or having to work his way back up the ladder?