before the fight he will have to weigh in the day of
the fight. According to Ohio law he can't weigh more
then 9 lbs over 170 lbs. This means Matt would only be
allowed to weigh 179 lbs by fight time instead of
rehydrating his body back to 190 lbs which is the norm
for all fighters. The UFC has tried to get this rule
waived for their event. No offical word if Ohio waived
the rule for the UFC.

This could change ALOT for some of the fighters say a Tim Sylvia who already has to cut to 265 and he's going to have to stay within 9 pounds of that the next day? If they don't get this waived I wouldn't be suprised if some people have trouble with it.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Zvonimir
2/20/07 4:25:37PM
Yeah we were talking about this on Sherdog a few weeks back. Hopefully all the fighters have done their homework. I think it means they will have to keep their "Walk around weight" lower than normal right now in the weeks leading up to the fights. In the other thread, I said they are all professionals and will make weight no problem, but after the Lutter incident, a rule like this one might be a real concern.
JoeMimic
2/20/07 4:33:19PM

Posted by Zvonimir

Yeah we were talking about this on Sherdog a few weeks back. Hopefully all the fighters have done their homework. I think it means they will have to keep their "Walk around weight" lower than normal right now in the weeks leading up to the fights. In the other thread, I said they are all professionals and will make weight no problem, but after the Lutter incident, a rule like this one might be a real concern.

I agree they are all professionals but I've got a feeling even if you come really prepared keeping within 9 pounds of your fighting weight will be a difficult and draining challenge for some.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
SteedTheDeed
2/20/07 6:04:40PM
these are not good rules, i change my prediction in most fights if this is true.
JoeMimic
2/20/07 6:11:28PM
It really depends on how prepared they are; if they have to cut too much weight too close to the fight and then have to spend the time after they first weigh in trying to keep the weight at or below the 9 lbs they could come in fatigued and perform terribly. Randy doesn't have to cut to make weight and I believe he's going to fight at 220 and walks around at 230 which should be easy for him to maintain but someone like Tim Sylvia who has to cut just to get down to 265 it could be a problem.
Zvonimir
2/20/07 6:38:39PM
I think Sylvia will be ok, I'm most worried about a lighter fighter like Hughes, who cuts a higher percentage of his body weight, than a guy like Sylvia. I hope someone can find out if they are waiving this rule, or if it will be enforced.
JoeMimic
2/20/07 6:41:04PM

Posted by Zvonimir

I think Sylvia will be ok, I'm most worried about a lighter fighter like Hughes, who cuts a higher percentage of his body weight, than a guy like Sylvia. I hope someone can find out if they are waiving this rule, or if it will be enforced.

Any idea how much Sylvia actually cuts?
Zvonimir
2/20/07 6:42:24PM

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Zvonimir

No clue. Maybe your right, maybe he cuts a lot too.
JoeMimic
2/20/07 6:44:38PM

Posted by Zvonimir

Posted by JoeMimic

Posted by Zvonimir

No clue. Maybe your right, maybe he cuts a lot too.

No idea that's why I was asking; because if he indeed has to cut a significant amount like you were saying it could be a problem. Being a Randy fan I can't help but wonder
Zvonimir
2/20/07 6:47:14PM
I'm a Captain America fan too, I really hope he can pull off the victory.
Reignofterror
2/20/07 7:17:35PM
Poor Tim...
hathcock32
2/20/07 7:55:25PM
Sylvia walks around about 285-290
madmarck
2/20/07 8:00:33PM
I dont Think Tim Sylvia cuts much more than that to make HW so it shouldnt be a problem.
Also i dont think a fighter can regain all of his weight in one day. It isnt all water weight. A Large Part Involves Dieting.
Matt Hughes never Weighed 190. He walks around at 187. I doubt he is ever over 180 on fight day. 20lbs is just to much to gain back in one day. Imagine your self dropping 20lbs in one day. then the next day gaining it all back. There would be a little shock to your system wouldnt there?
JoeMimic
2/20/07 8:00:41PM

Posted by hathcock32

That could be trouble if he's not prepared right; although with Billy Rush I would highly doubt he's going to be underprepared. He'll make the first weigh in for sure; but how the hell does he keep within 9 pounds until the next day without wearing himself out for the fight?
madmarck
2/20/07 8:01:59PM

Posted by hathcock32

Are you serious? Are you thinking of Ricco Rodrieqz? I Think Tim Hovers more around 280 at the most.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 9:27:12PM

Posted by Zvonimir

Excellent point I would be much more worried about the smaller fighter's % wise also. As for Sylvia I'm sure he said in an interview when he's not training he's near 300 lbs. Now if you mean walking around whilre training that's a whole different story.280-285 would seem much more plausible to me, but I only heard him mention when he wasn't training. He did profess a love of donut's, so I beleive him.
xthe_scottx
2/20/07 10:09:17PM
I hope this doesn't pose a problem to any fighters. Also, is this rule around in a lot of states? This is the first time I've heard this rule.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 10:11:15PM
I've heard of it being discussed, don't know which states though. I only know is doesn't apply in CA and NV right now.
JoeMimic
2/20/07 10:28:54PM
285 you're still talking a 20lb cut and then somehow having to stay within 9 pounds of 265....weighins usually are around 6-7pm so depending on when you weigh in again; you're either talking about constantly making sure you're under or at that +9lbs OR you're talking about sleeping and having to cut the day of a championship fight? That's not a healthy mix for a huge fight.

Randy on the other hand doesn't really have to cut at all and shouldn't have much of a problem maintaining that weight.
roadking95th
2/21/07 11:48:07PM
That rule is ridiculous. If they want to have a rule like that, it shouldbe based on a percentage of their official weigh-in. Less weight allowance for smaller fighters and more for the heavies. If Tim is cutting 10% water weight, that is 26.5 lbs. He can then only gain 1/3 of that back. Where as a fighter like Sherk can cut 15.5 lbs of water and gain back almost 60% of that. Now, that is a huge discrepency! I would much rather have them weigh in once, wether it is the day of or day before.

As far as gaining 20lbs, in a day, I don't think that would be a shock for someone the size of Tim. Back in my wrestling days, I would weigh 103lbs Saturdays mornings and be pushing 112lbs Sarturday nights for the finals and 115lbs on Mondays with no ill effects.
xthe_scottx
2/21/07 11:59:45PM

Posted by roadking95th

That rule is ridiculous. If they want to have a rule like that, it shouldbe based on a percentage of their official weigh-in. Less weight allowance for smaller fighters and more for the heavies. If Tim is cutting 10% water weight, that is 26.5 lbs. He can then only gain 1/3 of that back. Where as a fighter like Sherk can cut 15.5 lbs of water and gain back almost 60% of that. Now, that is a huge discrepency! I would much rather have them weigh in once, wether it is the day of or day before.

As far as gaining 20lbs, in a day, I don't think that would be a shock for someone the size of Tim. Back in my wrestling days, I would weigh 103lbs Saturdays mornings and be pushing 112lbs Sarturday nights for the finals and 115lbs on Mondays with no ill effects.

I agree. If a rule like this is around it should be based on either weight class or percentage of body weight.
JimiMak
2/22/07 12:13:07AM
I like it. While it might need some tweeking, I don't like knowing that the 170lb champ says he can walk into a fight close to 190lb. I think two weigh ins while allowing for some discrepency is a better way to hold true weight classes, and the reason it was instituted. This might sound overboard, but I think a fighter should be able to step on a scale or pee in a cup on his way in or out of said fight knowing that at any moment he is within whatever guidelines he is given when he signs for the fight.
hippysmacker
2/22/07 12:18:01AM
I think the rules should be universal in all states more than anything
JoeMimic
2/22/07 2:16:12PM
I got to thinking this morning; the UFC cut off is 265 for the heavyweight division....so does that mean for both weighins Tim HAS to stay under that? Ohio allows 9 lbs over but will the UFC let him go over that weight?
JimiMak
2/22/07 4:38:36PM

Posted by JoeMimic

I got to thinking this morning; the UFC cut off is 265 for the heavyweight division....so does that mean for both weighins Tim HAS to stay under that? Ohio allows 9 lbs over but will the UFC let him go over that weight?

I don't really know what the ruling would be, other than it being a non-title bout. I do, however, think if a champ shows up for a defense and can't make weight they should forfeit the belt and ppv bonuses. I never excuse a fighter for not making weight, but when you're a champ? Course I think Tim'd be smart enough to fake an injury.
JoeMimic
2/22/07 4:41:10PM
I think anyway you cut it for Tim (either having to stay at 265 or under or within 9 lbs for the 2nd weigh-in) is not a good situation for him.
aceprone
2/22/07 10:19:18PM
Rich Franklin and Jason Macdonald are going to have the most problems. Macdonald is 6'3. He can be easly 20+ pounds over weight by the next day. Even Rich is going to heavely over weight. I don't think I like this 9 pound rule. It can jepordize the fighters safety because they won't be completely hydrated. Just for this event, the UFC should of had the fighters fight at upperweight classes, expecially Rich and Jason. But I guess we'll have to see how Ohio inforces this rule.
MMA
2/22/07 10:51:45PM
This better be waived or else it could hurt a lot of fighters.
roadking95th
2/23/07 2:27:47PM

Posted by JimiMak

I like it. While it might need some tweeking, I don't like knowing that the 170lb champ says he can walk into a fight close to 190lb. I think two weigh ins while allowing for some discrepency is a better way to hold true weight classes, and the reason it was instituted. This might sound overboard, but I think a fighter should be able to step on a scale or pee in a cup on his way in or out of said fight knowing that at any moment he is within whatever guidelines he is given when he signs for the fight.

The fighters have signed onto the fight knowing this rule, so they have to abide by it. I think there should be some discussion as to how weigh-ins are implemented. Where do you draw the line? In the extreme, some would have a fighter weigh-in 1 month before and in the consequent weeks leading up to the fight? I don't think many would agree with that.

There are all kinds of safety rules for wrestlers weighing-in from college down through Junior High. These are needed for the safety of the wrestlers. However, these are professional fighters, grown men, if they want to cut a lot of weight, it is their choice. They are free from many of the the pressures of a coach that young athletes may face. They have their own pressures, but they are grown and can make the decision how they see fit.

There are so many variables. Should the fighter be properly hydrated before the weigh-ins? Should he be able to make a second, third, etc... weight throughout the process. I think it is best to eliminate the variables. One weigh-in only would be my choice. I really don't care when the weigh-in is, but I agree with Hippysmacker, in that, these rules should be universal. I don't want a fighter losing or winning a match because of a variance in the rules.