UFC 93 Officiating

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 93 Officiating
Aether
1/18/09 5:09:59PM
OK I've looked through the posts and they all seem to have to do with the quality of the fights and who should fight who, hopefully this isn't a repeat post.

Did anyone think that the officiating was pretty mind-blowingly bad even taking into account that UFC (or more accurately the athletic commissions) have had real problems with their refs and judges.

What I can remember off of the top of my head:

Dan Miragliotta standing up the Kang-Belcher fight was absolutely horrible IMO, and I was surprised not to hear Joe say something about it. Kang was postured up in Belcher's guard throwing shots, there was no reason for that standup, which then led to a guillotine on the following takedown attempt. I think this was a huge mistake.

The ref in the Shogun-Coleman fight thinking the knee was illegal was an insanely amateur mistake. He was on the side where he had the best possible view of the knee, and I could see that it clearly landed on his chest even from the opposite angle where Shogun's body was partially blocking the view.

Bad standups are a way bigger problem than people recognize because they can easily lead to situations where the fighter who was in a dominant position gets caught or put into a disadvantageous situation that he wouldn't have had to deal with if not for the standup.

I was also amazed to see a judge who made me wish for cecil peoples to take his place. How the Henderson Franklin fight was a split, let alone a split with Franklin taking all 3 rounds is so far beyond me I don't even know what to say about it. I told my friends that that judge must have been looking at two drunks fighting in the crowd thinking they were franklin and hendo, because he sure as shit wasn't watching the same fight as the rest of the world. I also thought that the Lytle-Davis fight being a split was kind of surprising, although it was close enough that I wasn't really shocked by it.

All in all I think that this is the worst officiating I have ever seen take place in the modern UFC. Something has to be done about this IMO, I see it happen way too much. I genuinely think that you could pick a dozen people off of these boards who would make for a significantly better officiating team without even giving them any training. Dan Miragliotta needs to be relegated to small time shows and the commission needs to stop sending in boxing and kickboxing judges to judge MMA fights because they don't have a clue what they're watching. It's really frustrating to see this happen so frequently in such an amateur manner.

To me it feels like the sport has evolved so much but we're still using refs and judges from the stone age. There is no such thing as an MMA judge or ref, the commissions just grabs refs and judges from any random combat sport and they think it's good enough. It's not.

Anyone else equally appalled by this situation?
Hendo67
1/18/09 5:36:12PM
I thought the Reffing in the Palhares/Horn fight was absolutely terrible, Palhares hit the back of Horns head at least 20 times, no warning, no point deduction at all...
terrible.
Aether
1/18/09 6:07:56PM
yeah, there was also miragliotta's initial refusal to give franklin any time for the eye poke. I get that there wasn't much time in the round but he should get his time regardless. There were other things, what I listed was just what I could remember off the top of my head.

It's pretty bad when there were so many mistakes that you can't even remember them all without video replay.
Wolfenstein
1/18/09 6:11:56PM
Honestly, I can't remember the last time people haven't complained about the officiating at a UFC event.

It wasn't the best, but I've seen a lot worse...especially in Japan.
casey64
1/18/09 6:29:14PM

Posted by Aether

yeah, there was also miragliotta's initial refusal to give franklin any time for the eye poke. I get that there wasn't much time in the round but he should get his time regardless. There were other things, what I listed was just what I could remember off the top of my head.

It's pretty bad when there were so many mistakes that you can't even remember them all without video replay.

Yeah, Dan wasnt gonna give Rich any time to recover from that eye poke, that made me mad.
nickcuc547
1/18/09 6:42:17PM
i noticed that stand up in the kang fight too, i thought it sucked, and the illegal knee was awful and could have cost shogun the fight because he was losing the round at the time.
holt8081
1/19/09 9:57:34AM

Posted by casey64

Posted by Aether

Yeah, Dan wasnt gonna give Rich any time to recover from that eye poke, that made me mad.

the side the ref was on it looked like he kneed him in the head so it was really bad positioning by the ref. And I think 2 min is standard for an Eye poke kinda sad that he had to go to the side and ask somebody "How much time do you want me to give him"
Aether
1/19/09 11:12:56AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Honestly, I can't remember the last time people haven't complained about the officiating at a UFC event.

It wasn't the best, but I've seen a lot worse...especially in Japan.

To me the fact that people are complaining that frequently is evidence that something needs to be done, not an argument in support of the quality of officiating. I don't think we can compare the UFC to Japan either, a lot of shady stuff goes on overseas where there are no real rules or governing bodies to oversee drug tests and organized crime has their fingers in the biggest leagues.

The UFC is supposed to be THE premiere MMA league, and look at how many basic mistakes the refs and judges are making. I think it's unacceptable. For Dana White to complain about Mazzagatti stopping the Griffin-Evans fight too late and not say a word about any of the things that happened the other night seems backwards to me.
Franklinfan47
1/19/09 11:26:53AM
It wasn't the best, but compared to some of the stunts we've seen pulled in the past, it seemed pretty tame. I wish they'd utilize Herb Dean more than guys like Mirgliotta.
telnights
1/19/09 1:33:30PM
Officiating has been fairly poor as of late and I think this is mainly due to inconsistency by refs. Miragliotta is one of them he is so inconsistent on his calls it isn't even funny. One min he is standing fighters up that are working or even in side control but then will let a guy LnP for almost the hole round. Miragliotta has also showed blatant favoritism in a few fights he has reffed. He isn't the only one making inconsistent calls either. The judging is not any better if it is held out side of Vegas or Cal SDs seam to be the norm which they should be rare. I really feel the judges need to be better educated in MMA because some of them now don't even seam to understand it at all. I also feel the the Refs need to be more consistent in their calls not only with themselves but with each other as well.

Now I will say UFC 93 wasn't the worse I have seen by far. I seen stuff over in Japan and in Pride that made me feel sick. But this isn't Pride or Japan this is the UFC and each state has a Regulatory body over MMA. So I don't see why we cant solve this issue as it isn't getting better but seams to be getting worse.
Mr_Death
1/20/09 6:43:48AM
Yeah the officiating was bad, but the judging gave it a run for its money.