Officials: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" draws 15,211 for $750K gate

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Officials: "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" draws 15,211 for $750K gate
Twenty20Dollars
4/12/09 1:33:00PM
linkage

SAN JOSE, Calif. - The new-look Strikeforce drew what was deemed by arena officials as a "near sell-out" crowd to Saturday night's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" event.

Headlined by Northern California fighters Nick Diaz and Frank Shamrock, Strikeforce drew 15,211 spectators to the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

While official numbers from the California State Athletic Commission have not yet been certified, Strikeforce executives told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the collected gate was approximately $750,000.

Before Saturday night's event, Strikeforce's most recent show was held in November 2008, also at the HP Pavilion. Headlined by a light-heavyweight championship bout between then-title-holder Bobby Southworth and current champ Renato "Babalu" Sobral, "Strikeforce: Destruction" was attended by just 8,152 spectators for a certified gate of $321,520.
Twenty20Dollars
4/12/09 1:46:38PM
There were a lot of known people at this event. It was a good card.

I was suprised when the crowd started to chant "DIAZ, DIAZ"
Natedogg42
4/12/09 3:17:46PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Why the surprise? He is a local boy...
three_days_of_grey
4/12/09 3:33:59PM

Posted by Natedogg42

Stockton, where Diaz is from, is nowhere near being "local" to San Jose. However, Shamrock does train in San Jose, so that perhaps could be why Twenty was surprised at the crowds reversal.
I really enjoyed last night's event and thought the production was better than Afflictions cherry-popper and much improved over prior events.
The only fight I didn't enjoy watching was Jens Pulver in a wig smashing that little Japanese gal. She put up a valiant effort however and negotiated a favorable pay/contract deal for that ass-whoopin'.
Side notes: Wtf is up with Mickey Rourke? He looked like a character from a Tarantino 'Homage to Bad Kung Fu movies'.
Also, Tito Ortiz popped up again to remain visible in the MMA world. First it was Affliction and now Strikeforce. I swear this guy is like that hated brother-in-law that you only invite over to pacify the wife because he eats all your food, drinks all your beer, and clogs up the plumbing.
Don't interview Cung Le anymore on TV. Let him remain the strong, silent type. On TV. He's a wonderful fighter but his oratory skills have much to be desired.

-OUT-
Pookie
4/12/09 4:17:46PM
I never realized how huge of a stadium that is.
Natedogg42
4/18/09 3:52:29PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Posted by Natedogg42

Stockton, where Diaz is from, is nowhere near being "local" to San Jose. However, Shamrock does train in San Jose, so that perhaps could be why Twenty was surprised at the crowds reversal.
I really enjoyed last night's event and thought the production was better than Afflictions cherry-popper and much improved over prior events.
The only fight I didn't enjoy watching was Jens Pulver in a wig smashing that little Japanese gal. She put up a valiant effort however and negotiated a favorable pay/contract deal for that ass-whoopin'.
Side notes: Wtf is up with Mickey Rourke? He looked like a character from a Tarantino 'Homage to Bad Kung Fu movies'.
Also, Tito Ortiz popped up again to remain visible in the MMA world. First it was Affliction and now Strikeforce. I swear this guy is like that hated brother-in-law that you only invite over to pacify the wife because he eats all your food, drinks all your beer, and clogs up the plumbing.
Don't interview Cung Le anymore on TV. Let him remain the strong, silent type. On TV. He's a wonderful fighter but his oratory skills have much to be desired.

-OUT-

Sorry, didn't mean to offend the Stocktonite, i just meant he's from Cali.

I didn't realize Shamrock is from Cali. I just wikipediad Frank and it shows him wearing a Sharks jersey, so I guess I can see why Twenty was surprised.
ncordless
4/18/09 3:59:16PM
Those are real good numbers for Strikeforce.