UFC officially announces "UFC 89: Bisping vs. Leben" for Oct. 18

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC officially announces "UFC 89: Bisping vs. Leben" for Oct. 18
Next Page »
nickcuc547
7/1/08 5:13:36PM
The UFC today officially announced "UFC 89: Bisping vs. Leben," an event that takes place Oct. 18 at The National Indoor Arena in Birmingham, England.

The event is headlined by a middleweight bout between England native and "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner Michael Bisping (16-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and veteran middleweight Chris Leben (18-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC).
http://mmajunkie.com/news/4699/ufc-officially-announces-ufc-89-bisping-vs-leben.mma
nickcuc547
7/1/08 5:15:02PM
i really hope this fight doesn't stand as the main event, great fight, awesome fight in fact, but not a main event calibur fight.
wrona666
7/1/08 5:19:18PM
I hope Leben lays Bisping out COLD!!!!!!
nickcuc547
7/1/08 5:26:33PM

Posted by wrona666

i gotta disagree, i actually hope the opposite happens. we will get to see if bisping can be a title contender after this fight, leben is a great gate keeper and a dangerous opponent for anyone.
gsquat
7/1/08 5:28:25PM

Posted by wrona666

You can hope all you want. Bisping isn't going to get in the wild swinging matches required for Leben to score a KO. He'll fight a hard, smart fight and likely win via decision.
NinjaCyborg
7/1/08 5:37:50PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i really hope this fight doesn't stand as the main event, great fight, awesome fight in fact, but not a main event calibur fight.

It's thinking like this that keeps good talent from breaking through to stardom.
This is an awesome main event!
You can't use the same big names over and over again as main events.
You need to give other guys a chance to shine.
But I do agree with part of your statement, this will be an awesome fight!
Gipper
7/1/08 5:39:50PM
happy to see the ufc decided to make this fight happen. i love watching leben fight.
Sam_Rothstein
7/1/08 5:51:25PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a horrible matchup for bisping?

Leben by tko round 2
nickcuc547
7/1/08 6:03:51PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Leben by tko round 2

he's not a wrestler so no, it could be a very good matchup.
gamez0932
7/1/08 6:11:42PM
why do they keep putting bisping in england events??? just give him home advantage why dont ya... if they did that for silva in brazil or in hawaii for bj they would never lose.
The_hungry_lumberjack
7/1/08 6:18:14PM
Wow ... I can't wait to not watch this event. Unless there is some badass other fights, this will the the first UFC that I won't watch.
KYGUY07
7/1/08 6:26:43PM
If this stays the main event this is gonna be the first ufc i havent ordered in a long time, i'll go to hooters or somewhere and watch it put im not paying $45 for it.
bojangalz
7/1/08 6:31:07PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by wrona666

You can hope all you want. Bisping isn't going to get in the wild swinging matches required for Leben to score a KO. He'll fight a hard, smart fight and likely win via decision.

This fight is taking place over seas after all. But this time I honestly think Bisbing will actually deserve the decision. This should be a great fight.

Edit:

At least that's what will happen if this fight actually takes place. I'd say the line should be even money that Leben screws something up in his personal life and can't get a work visa.
xtra_chewy
7/1/08 6:44:00PM
Nice, I cant wait to see Leben put Bisping on his ass.
Mchubb316
7/1/08 6:54:47PM

Posted by gamez0932

why do they keep putting bisping in england events??? just give him home advantage why dont ya... if they did that for silva in brazil or in hawaii for bj they would never lose.

He is a big draw over there. I don't think it is that big advantage for him. He still has to fight. I do believe that when Rich fought Anderson for the belt the 2nd time, he was destroyed. That fight was in his home town.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/1/08 7:43:15PM
good main event if it's on tv, if not, a good fight none the less.
Go Bisping?
nickcuc547
7/1/08 7:45:30PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by nickcuc547

It's thinking like this that keeps good talent from breaking through to stardom.

i have to disagree, winning big fights against big name opponents is what gets you to main event status and the ufc has given plenty of fighters this opportunity. bisping and leben aren't top guys right now, both exciting fighters yet but they aren't top 10 middleweights. as much as i like bisping as talented as i think he is and as much as i believe he will be in the title picture soon, he doesn't have that signature win yet to put him in a main event.
RMFG_187
7/1/08 7:45:53PM
Bisping Sub round 2
mrsmiley
7/1/08 8:16:41PM
Hope they show this for free,because I won't order it.Great fight,but not headline material.
jakeiceman
7/1/08 9:16:29PM
I don't know that these guys deserve a main event but I say good for Leben. The guy has been burried on fight cards for a long time, it will be good for him to experience a main event. I could care less about Bisping I have always thought the he wasnt neccessarily over-rated but definately over hyped. It will be a great fight and I will definately tune in, but there is no way I'm spending my cash on this PPV.

WAR LEBEN!
nickcuc547
7/1/08 9:23:59PM

Posted by jakeiceman

I don't know that these guys deserve a main event but I say good for Leben. The guy has been burried on fight cards for a long time, it will be good for him to experience a main event. I could care less about Bisping I have always thought the he wasnt neccessarily over-rated but definately over hyped. It will be a great fight and I will definately tune in, but there is no way I'm spending my cash on this PPV.

WAR LEBEN!

buried?? leben's fights are always on the main card, deservingly so too but he is absolutely not buried on any card
Twenty20Dollars
7/1/08 9:24:29PM
umm i am hoping for a really really solid undercard and maincard. prolly wont order this one though anyway.

but leben tko late round 2 or early round 3.
Sam_Rothstein
7/1/08 9:38:03PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Leben by tko round 2

he's not a wrestler so no, it could be a very good matchup.

I dunno man, bispings striking looked like crap against matt hamill

I would imagine him having to use wrestling to beat leben IMO
bullettdodger
7/1/08 10:23:13PM
Leben Round 2 KO, i don't see Bisping being able to KO Leben... Bisping could pull out a decision though, he is pretty good at that...
breakdown5
7/1/08 10:24:35PM
Lame. The only redeeming thing will be seeing Leben absorb Bisping's strikes and then KO him in savage fashion.
NinjaCyborg
7/1/08 11:22:12PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by nickcuc547

i have to disagree, winning big fights against big name opponents is what gets you to main event status and the ufc has given plenty of fighters this opportunity. bisping and leben aren't top guys right now, both exciting fighters yet but they aren't top 10 middleweights. as much as i like bisping as talented as i think he is and as much as i believe he will be in the title picture soon, he doesn't have that signature win yet to put him in a main event.

I see what you're saying. and I definitley agree, neither fighter is top 10, but I do think they are main event material. They may not be the best fighters, but they both are very exciting and that makes them deserving of a main event slot in my opinion. But I do understand the need to climb the ladder.
prozacnation1978
7/1/08 11:57:09PM
i still think the spider will fight okami but if this is the main event all i can say is
freebie on spike tv baby!!!!!!!
i will be shocked if this is a main event they might do the same like the lesnar vs mir everyone thought that was main event then it was heavyweight bout
they won't say anything till after silva fight to see if he can fight in oct
quezocrema0032
7/2/08 12:53:29AM
imo this fight is better then franklin okami ... better then thiago alves hughes ... mite not have the former champs but people know this will be more exciting ... all they need is a solid co main event and ill be happy
jakeiceman
7/2/08 1:01:42AM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by jakeiceman

WAR LEBEN!

buried?? leben's fights are always on the main card, deservingly so too but he is absolutely not buried on any card

I didnt neccessarily mean "burried" as in on the undercard, I just meant that the guy ALWAYS puts on an exciting fight and yet he has never been on the main event of a major card. While on the other hand, Bisping who has had some major snooze fests( UFC Validation gave me narcolepsy) and a controversial win.....seems to get too much time in the spotlight.

Again I am biased, I dont like Bisping....so its just my opinion
Lucas
7/2/08 8:46:47AM
I'm English and i do think Bisping is a good fighter but he is over hyped but i do understand why from a UFC point of view. The English fans are very patriotic so go mad for Bisping so the UFC will sell a lot of Arena tickets based on this fight alone. I then believe they will add either a big main event or other very good fights to attract the Americans to buy the PPV

Bisping will win via decision he will keep taking Leben down dont think he would be stupid enough to stand and bang with Leben
Pages: [1] 2