Official XXX Summer Olympic Thread

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Official XXX Summer Olympic Thread
Next Page »
BlueSkiesBurn
7/28/12 3:44:53PM
I will call these things the XXX Olympics until they're over. Anyhow, I figured I would streamline a thread for those of us who do watch all the games.

Figure it would be a great place for some international shit-talking* during the Olympics. (*read fun in nature and not crossing any lines)
pmoney
7/28/12 7:14:05PM
Haven't got to see any action yet, but I will say that I hope MMA and BJJ become Olympic sports. I am sure we are probably decades away at the very best. But I hope some day we get to see it. Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, TKD are all Olympic sports, now we just need MMA to combine the arts, and BJJ to round out them out
prophecy033
7/28/12 7:22:55PM

Posted by pmoney

Haven't got to see any action yet, but I will say that I hope MMA and BJJ become Olympic sports. I am sure we are probably decades away at the very best. But I hope some day we get to see it. Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, TKD are all Olympic sports, now we just need MMA to combine the arts, and BJJ to round out them out

I'm being honest here, I think BJJ WILL make it rather soon but I have no faith that MMA will make it. The reason I feel BJJ will make it is because it is a sport not too much unlike a sport already in the games, Judo. MMA on the other hand is more brutal by nature and has a lot more injuries and for that reason I feel it will have a hard time gaining enough support to be accepted into the Olympics. With all that being said, I am a huge supporter of MMA and BJJ in the Olympic games
prophecy033
7/28/12 7:23:57PM
Oh, and WAR U.S. OF FUCKING A.
ghandikush
7/28/12 9:01:26PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by pmoney

I'm being honest here, I think BJJ WILL make it rather soon but I have no faith that MMA will make it. The reason I feel BJJ will make it is because it is a sport not too much unlike a sport already in the games, Judo. MMA on the other hand is more brutal by nature and has a lot more injuries and for that reason I feel it will have a hard time gaining enough support to be accepted into the Olympics. With all that being said, I am a huge supporter of MMA and BJJ in the Olympic games

no gi BJJ/freestyle grappling is one of the biggest sports on earth and I would love to see action at the Olympics to challenge ADCC

I cant believe BJJ or submission wrestling isnt already part of the games and I would love to perhaps see some olympic Judoka and Wrestlers also go for the gold against Brazils finest.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/28/12 9:18:40PM

Posted by ghandikush

no gi BJJ/freestyle grappling is one of the biggest sports on earth and I would love to see action at the Olympics to challenge ADCC

I cant believe BJJ or submission wrestling isnt already part of the games and I would love to perhaps see some olympic Judoka and Wrestlers also go for the gold against Brazils finest.

Didn't you just make a thread about not giving a shit about the Olympics?
prophecy033
7/28/12 9:26:48PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ghandikush

I know that if BJJ or Sub grappling were in the games, more would give a shit as its more our style than swimming and gymnastics
tcunningham
7/28/12 10:21:33PM
im a little pissed that the information given by NBC/directv is so limited. every Olympic programming says about the same thing (gynastics, swimming, diving, etc). its really hard to catch any of the sports i really like such as wrestling. i try to record it all but i can only record 2 programs at once. very disappointing.
aussiemma
7/28/12 11:17:34PM

Posted by tcunningham

im a little pissed that the information given by NBC/directv is so limited. every Olympic programming says about the same thing (gynastics, swimming, diving, etc). its really hard to catch any of the sports i really like such as wrestling. i try to record it all but i can only record 2 programs at once. very disappointing.

australia is olympic crazy, we have like 8 channels that show the games 24/7 and has every single medal live lol...overkill if you ask me.
ghandikush
7/28/12 11:20:56PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ghandikush

Why is that relevant? I dont give a shit about the unity or national pride of it all. After all the rich countries will always be dominant because of better conditions and training etc its not fair for shit. Especially since in America we have the most diverse genetic pool in the world.

It doesnt mean that I am not interested in BJJ or wrestling competition. Those are my sports, I love them. I wish MMA would be at the olympics even in a watered down standup striking ground grappling form. I love MMA etc...
MMAcca
7/29/12 2:20:34AM
Day One is over.

Which means EVERY SINGLE member of Team GB is out of the tennis.........
BlueSkiesBurn
7/29/12 6:18:58PM
Gotta love Carmelo acting too big for the National Anthem.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Adrenaline
7/29/12 9:47:58PM

Posted by ghandikush

rich countries will always be dominant because of better conditions and training etc its not fair for shit.

Life isn't fair, should they all just stand on the middle podium and get gold medals? It's competition, the playing feild will never be level. I get what you are saying though. If its any consolation some of the best long distance runners come from the poorest places on earth.

Posted by prophecy033

Oh, and WAR U.S. OF FUCKING A.

BuffaloDave
7/29/12 11:00:42PM
Saw the replay of the Men's 100m Freestyle Relay, man was that a good race.
frizzzlecake
7/30/12 1:43:57AM
Best moment so far was when women's swimming relay was about to happen, and my cousin says, "Yes finally mens swimming!"

I lost it, but in her defense their shoulders were pretty broad.

Let's go Merica!
hashyandy4
7/30/12 3:32:46AM
edited
airkerma
7/30/12 9:14:12AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Saw the replay of the Men's 100m Freestyle Relay, man was that a good race.

I passed out during gymnastics and missed it. I saw the splits, easy to point the finger at Lochte...and I probably will. The US shouldn't have lost that race, that really was too bad.
I was super impressed with the dudes in door vball. It's actually pretty damn entertaining, watching jacked dudes smash a ball at nearly light speed into their opponent's noses is ballin.
thevoodooninja
7/30/12 11:40:32AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by ghandikush

rich countries will always be dominant because of better conditions and training etc its not fair for shit.

If its any consolation some of the best long distance runners come from the poorest places on earth.

That's because they have to run to get anywhere and while running they have to dodge lions and monkeys and shit
Shawn91111
7/31/12 5:32:55PM
Phelps broke a record or something.
Poor_Franklin
8/1/12 9:05:38AM
so i tried to watch fencing.....the squealing going on in that room was worse than a women's tennis match. absolutely awful & annoying, literally every other hit by a fencer is followed by the sound of a 4 year old screaming.
i get being excited, but if my opponent was doing that, i'd knock that silly helmet off of her & beat the shit out of her w/ my fake sword
FlashyG
8/1/12 5:09:22PM
Boxing has its first semi-scandal of these games.

An Iranian boxer was just disqualified for holding in a match vs a Cuban. In the first round the Cuban had 2 pts deducted and in the first minute of the 2nd round the Iranian had 5 pts taken away before finally being disqualified.

He refused to stay in the ring while the decision was read and the Cuban was announced the winner to a chorus of boos from the crowd.

I've watched a ton of boxing at these games and the holding in this match wasn't anything special compared to the holding that has taken place in every other match. It seems this referee had seen enough of it and was going to send a warning to the rest of the fighters.
KungFuMaster
8/1/12 5:26:58PM
As an American, I shouldn't be rooting for this Chinese swimmer - but I am. Sun Yang is such a bad-ass swimmer. He makes it look so easy. I cannot wait for the 1500M freestyle on Saturday. If you guys want to see how dominant he is - take a look at this world game meet.

World swim meet
Poor_Franklin
8/1/12 6:27:11PM

Posted by FlashyG

An Iranian boxer was just disqualified for holding in a match vs a Cuban. In the first round the Cuban had 2 pts deducted and in the first minute of the 2nd round the Iranian had 5 pts taken away before finally being disqualified.

He refused to stay in the ring while the decision was read and the Cuban was announced the winner to a chorus of boos from the crowd.

I've watched a ton of boxing at these games and the holding in this match wasn't anything special compared to the holding that has taken place in every other match. It seems this referee had seen enough of it and was going to send a warning to the rest of the fighters.

wow i just saw the disgrace you were referring to. here is another one.....

Magomed Abdulhamidov (Azerbaijan) def. Satoshi Shimizu (Japan), 22-17: First really, really clear instance of some horrendous officiating. The referee let Abdulhamidov flop around the ring, fall down about ten times in the third round, and did nothing. One warning is all Abdulhamidov got. The referee was a disgrace.

LINK

Teddy Atlas just said that an Azerbaijan man was caught trying to pay olympic officials to guarantee a gold medal. im sure there is more to this, just wanted to share. heard it on the tv
FlashyG
8/2/12 11:00:25AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FlashyG

Magomed Abdulhamidov (Azerbaijan) def. Satoshi Shimizu (Japan), 22-17: First really, really clear instance of some horrendous officiating. The referee let Abdulhamidov flop around the ring, fall down about ten times in the third round, and did nothing. One warning is all Abdulhamidov got. The referee was a disgrace.

The Japanese fighter appealed the decision and it was overturned today. They ruled the fight should have been stopped in the 3rd round in favor of Shimizu. He will fight in the next round.
babalu46
8/2/12 1:15:44PM
Good day for team GB so far today
KungFuMaster
8/2/12 3:31:51PM
Why is there no one ON right now? It has been like this since yesterday and for who knows how long before that...

Poor_Franklin
8/2/12 3:45:08PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by FlashyG

The Japanese fighter appealed the decision and it was overturned today. They ruled the fight should have been stopped in the 3rd round in favor of Shimizu. He will fight in the next round.

george112
8/2/12 5:28:57PM
Some very entertaining boxing going on right now
Poor_Franklin
8/4/12 4:50:26AM
finally some good news for USA boxing

A few hours after the U.S. men's boxing team thought it was done at the Olympics, amateur boxing's governing body decided Errol Spence deserved to fight on. AIBA overturned Spence's loss to Indian welterweight Krishan Vikas late Friday night, five hours after the defense-minded Vikas had apparently clutched and grabbed his way to a 13-11 victory. After the American team protested the result, AIBA's competition jury reviewed the bout and ruled Vikas had committed nine holding fouls in the third round alone. He also intentionally spit out his mouthpiece in the second round, which should have resulted in at least four points of deductions.

ESPN

i watched the fight earlier today. there have been many decisions that i thought were bad, but this one stood out as one of the worst. Spence was crying afterwards knowing he should have won & thought his dream was over. i'm glad he gets to move on
Pookie
8/4/12 4:58:37AM
How can the officiating be so shitty at the highest levels of sport competition? It baffles my mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3