OFFICIAL! Wandy in the UFC!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » OFFICIAL! Wandy in the UFC!
Next Page »
Stickan
8/1/07 2:56:16PM
ufcmania

Former PRIDE FC Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva will return to the Octagon for the first time in more than seven years sometime in December, according to an exclusive interview with Tatame.com prior to his relocation to Las Vegas, Nevada.

Here’s a snip from “The Axe Murderer:”

“I’m sad to leave behind my friends and family, but im going to open the doors for a lot of Brazilians, and once I’m settled down there if anyone needs help of wants to get in touch with me, I’ll be available…. I was going to debut in September [in the UFC], but i asked to be moved to December. I still don’t know who is going to be my opponent, but that doesn’t matter, I’ve never chosen my opponents.”

It will be more of a “return” and not so much a “debut” in the UFC for the 205-pound ChuteBoxe standout. He has two fights inside the Octagon to his credit — albeit both are losses to Vitor Belfort and Tito Ortiz back in 1998 and 2000, respectively.

Since that time, however, he has gone on to become one of the most well-known, decorated and feared fighters in the sport of mixed martial arts with nearly 30 fights (most of them wins) in PRIDE FC.

Currently riding a rare two-fight losing streak to stars Mirko Cro Cop and Dan Henderson, Silva was very close to fighting former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell at UFC 76: “Knockout” in September. However, the deal fell apart when Silva turned down the fight because of his upcoming move to the United States.

According to him, he wouldn’t have had enough time to train and be ready for the blockbuster bout.

There is currently a UFC show booked for Sin City on the weekend before New Year’s Eve in December. UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Serra will defend his title against Matt Hughes that evening. Adding Silva to that pay-per-view (PPV) card against Liddell — even though UFC President Dana White has mention he doesn’t see the “fight happening” after the latest setback — would no doubt be a monster.

Perhaps the biggest in the history of the promotion.

Chuck please don't fail us. Knock Keith Jardine out so we get to see the most anticipated fight in MMA history!!
pv3Hpv3p
8/1/07 3:08:02PM
Awesome news... I can't wait to see Wand fight again, Pride / UFC / wherevever... I wonder if they'll feed him a can or if we'll finally get to see him and Chucky throw down...

Either way this is excellent *taps tips of fingers together / Mongomery Burns style*

Side Note: Wand actually has 3 fights in the octagon... KO'd Tony Petarra at 20... Sorry just being knit-picky
Scottg8
8/1/07 3:11:05PM
Hopefully It will be Wandy vs Chuck in December, as long as Chuck beats Jardine. Chuck should be ready to fight again in December as long as he avoids injury.
Stickan
8/1/07 3:31:44PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Side Note: Wand actually has 3 fights in the octagon... KO'd Tony Petarra at 20... Sorry just being knit-picky

Yeah thought about that too. I was going to post that on the sherdog forums where I found it but those 7 pages of posts I plowed through to see if anyone else had noted that would probably be 14 by the time I was done typing "Wandy actually fought 3 times in the UFC" so I gave up.
nubby
8/1/07 3:33:29PM
Silva vs Bisping... best match up for his first fight back in the Octagon. Bisping needs a loss to bring him back down a bit.
Ydoc
8/1/07 3:36:43PM
I'd like to see Silva fight Tito if we can't get a fight against Chuck squared away. Tito has been talking some trash on Wandy saying knocking him out is like turning off a light switch and I'm sure Silva would love a chance to revenge a early loss.

Hope UFC resigns Tito just to see that match.
nubby
8/1/07 3:39:27PM
It's going to be more of the same. Silva's ground game is pretty much the same it was back then and he doesn't really have take down defense that he would need to keep Tito off him. I'd rather see Silva demolish a stand up guy.
Stickan
8/1/07 3:45:14PM

Posted by nubby

It's going to be more of the same. Silva's ground game is pretty much the same it was back then and he doesn't really have take down defense that he would need to keep Tito off him. I'd rather see Silva demolish a stand up guy.

For once we actually agree when talking about Tito Ortiz . I think Tito is and always will be a horrible match-up for Wandy. I don't think Tito can stop Wandy but he would probably win a decision.

Wandy - Chuck is of course THE match-up but I'd like to see him fight Lyoto. Aggressive axe murderer vs evasive technician. Either we would get to see Lyoto really shine or we'd see the cautious Machida get the beatdown of his life and his undefeated record ended in brutal fashion.
cmill21
8/1/07 3:45:51PM
But tito didn't knock him out...infact tito turned and acctually ran away from him....
nubby
8/1/07 3:50:11PM

Posted by cmill21

But tito didn't knock him out...infact tito turned and acctually ran away from him....

I have watched that fight a few times and despite turning and running Tito decisively won that fight. The majority of it was spent in Silva's guard and when they did stand and trade it was pretty damn even. Tito even connected with a hard punch or two that rocked Silva pretty good.
Mastodon2
8/1/07 3:58:47PM
Imo Tito is a bad match up for Wandy, his velcro style isnt good for the Axe Murder, once he is on him he will hold on for dear life and ride out a decision. That is, Wanderlei didnt wreck him in the stand up as he tried to close in.

I dont want to see Wanderlei vs Chuck in December though, I want to see Wanderlei have at least one warm up fight, so he has time to acclimatise to the UFC and the USA.
BigEvil
8/1/07 4:05:20PM
I would love to Wandy murder Tito, but honestly just about anybody versus Wanderlei is awesome news for UFC fans.
cowcatcher
8/1/07 4:23:57PM
this is great news that its now official, but i cant help but think, ok now announce fedor.
BigEvil
8/1/07 4:31:48PM
Fedor's not coming anytime soon, the UFC doesn't want his fighting Sambo tournaments nad they don't want any of his trash team mates. If only Fedor were more selfish...
Jujiden
8/1/07 4:32:45PM
Even though it may be a bad match-up, it would be nice to see Dana remove Evans in his fight with Tito and replace him with Wandy. It would be great to send Tito out with the last fight in his contract to be KO'd by Wandy. Tito's patented Velcro style or not, I think Wandy has come a long way and would train specifically to handle that. Like Chuck and Randy stated in the past, Tito can't KO anybody anymore, so Wandy won't have to worry about that.

BUT.....

I'l be down to see Wandy bang with Chuck any day over Wandy vs. Tito.

Wandy vs. Houston Alexander may be a good first one too if Houston wins his next one. I think Wandy would win, but you can bet Houston would go for broke.
cmill21
8/1/07 4:44:30PM
For tito to get to Wand he'd have to take some great looping strikes, something he's proven he doesn't like to do.
nubby
8/1/07 4:46:17PM
No to get a takedown all he needs is for someone to be overly agressive. That is Silva no denying it.
cmill21
8/1/07 4:50:57PM
Nope, but he'll get hit, he doesn't like that, no denying it. I'm not saying in any way it'd be a chuck rampage fight(shameless plug to laugh at chuck), but I do think wand has advanced further then tito.
JWils
8/1/07 5:55:39PM
What about Silva vs. Machida?

I don't think he's fighting anytime soon. He should be willing to go in December.

nubby
8/1/07 6:00:58PM

Posted by cmill21

Nope, but he'll get hit, he doesn't like that, no denying it. I'm not saying in any way it'd be a chuck rampage fight(shameless plug to laugh at chuck), but I do think wand has advanced further then tito.

LOL no one likes getting hit in the face. People like to say that Tito isn't a fighter because he covers up... um isn't that that smart thing to do against a superior striker? I think so. It's not like Tito shuts down when he gets hit. In fact if you go back and watch the second Liddell fight every time Liddell knock Tito hard in the second Round Tito came right back with his own strikes. Tito's a warrior and I don't think many guys can come out alive against chuck liddell's flurries. Shit it only took one shot from Liddell to knock Randy unconcious. For Tito it takes like 9 or 10.

Look at it like this, Has Wandy got any better at takedown defense? No. Was he already far superior at striking back when they first went at it? Yes. In other words it would be the same exact fight. The reason that Chuck didn't get beat is because Chuck is not the type of guy to commit to a big swing or kick that might allow him to be taken down. Silva has no problem with doing that. I have no doubt that Tito might take a shot or two but he will get Silva down and recover from any hard strike he might take. After that, the rest of the fight will belong to Tito. Pure and simple.
mkiv9secsupra
8/1/07 7:17:08PM

Wandy is too aggressive and would get taken down repeatedly and probly ride out a unanimous decision over wandy. And we all know Wandy isnt going to put tito in a triangle choke or armbar.
cmill21
8/1/07 8:01:18PM
Why? He's a BJJ black belt.
Ultimate_fighter
8/1/07 8:12:05PM
I think SIlva vs Bisping would be an awesome start for Wandy... Then go on and fight chuck, then fight the top contenders of the UFC... He will be a great warrior in the octagon in his UFC comeback.. I still cant believe his record is 1-2 in the UFC tho.. i hope he gets to the title shot fight soon...
zephead
8/1/07 9:11:28PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by cmill21

LOL no one likes getting hit in the face. People like to say that Tito isn't a fighter because he covers up... um isn't that that smart thing to do against a superior striker? I think so. It's not like Tito shuts down when he gets hit. In fact if you go back and watch the second Liddell fight every time Liddell knock Tito hard in the second Round Tito came right back with his own strikes. Tito's a warrior and I don't think many guys can come out alive against chuck liddell's flurries. Shit it only took one shot from Liddell to knock Randy unconcious. For Tito it takes like 9 or 10.

Look at it like this, Has Wandy got any better at takedown defense? No. Was he already far superior at striking back when they first went at it? Yes. In other words it would be the same exact fight. The reason that Chuck didn't get beat is because Chuck is not the type of guy to commit to a big swing or kick that might allow him to be taken down. Silva has no problem with doing that. I have no doubt that Tito might take a shot or two but he will get Silva down and recover from any hard strike he might take. After that, the rest of the fight will belong to Tito. Pure and simple.

The difference why Chuck beat Tito and Wandy didn't is, Chuck is a counterpuncher, he makes you come in and then he throws. Tito couldn't get the chance for the takedown. Chuck made Tito make the first move

Wandy is wild and will commit to a punch and that's all a wrestler needs. Think Arona. Wandy throws the bombs, Arona ducks and takes him down. Wandy needs patience when fighting a grappler
postman
8/1/07 11:06:00PM

Posted by JWils

What about Silva vs. Machida?

I don't think he's fighting anytime soon. He should be willing to go in December.

They probley would want him in with a more well known UFC fighter for his first fight.
the-james
8/1/07 11:11:09PM
If hes not fighting till December then he will deffinitly be fighting Chuck they both want the fight and Dana does aswell plus Chuck said he would be willing to fight in September and November if he could fight Wand so im sure he would be ready by December.

And it will be shogun will get the next Title shot not Chuck or Silva.
ADDIC
8/2/07 1:15:12AM
i wish the fight will be against Chuck, but I doubt it.
ac_gi
8/2/07 2:17:56AM
I would love to see Wandy square off against Chuck, but I doubt that happens. I see the UFC giving Wandy a "get to know him" fight, fighting the winner of Alessio Sakara v Houston Alexander.
hippysmacker
8/2/07 6:50:07AM
Finally! Also, the article is wrong Wandy is 1-2 in the UFC . He Koed Petarra and then they had him fight Tito for the belt Shamrock vacated when he retired the first time.
johny_rotten
8/2/07 9:36:31AM
Am I the only one not buying Wandy in the UFC till he actually steps in the Octagon? This has been said sooooo many times with no pay off. If it happens it will be Wandy vs Chuck. Dana is going to make this happen first. It has eluded him for years, so I think it will be his main priority.
Pages: [1] 2