The Official BJ Penn vs. GSP II Debate

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Official BJ Penn vs. GSP II Debate
« Previous Page
Naturaldisaster
5/28/08 3:16:26PM

Posted by tomsmith17381

GSP all the way BJ PENN = OVERATED

I think GSP would win. BUT How the hell is PENN overrated? he went to a decision with GSP and Machida. He dominated Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson, and Sean Sherk. He beat hughes the 1st time and had him in deep trouble the 2nd time (he prolly would have won if he had been in better shape. He FREAKIN beat Gomi! not to mention Din Thomas and Caul Uno!!! How is BJ overrated? Learn what your talkin about before you put down a fighter
chickmagnet
5/28/08 4:00:41PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Everyone has forgotten 1 important fact.
The first BJ Penn Vs George St. Pierre fight happened March 4th, 2006. That is well over 2 years ago.
George St. Pierre has improved immensely beyond the fighter he used to be in 2006. Because of this, I believe GSP would beat BJ Penn, not with a split decision but with a 2nd or 3rd round KO.

BJ is talented and a great fighter, I just don't think he could pull off the same performance against the 2 year matured St. Pierre

Yeah but note that GSP is Afraid to fight standing now!! Watch all his last three fights. GSP wrestles now and an Inshape BJ who has improved more than GSP since that last fight would wreck a new aged GSP. GSP takes all of his fights to the ground and BJ would train for that and BJ would outstrike him on the feet just like he did before. BJ won that first fight no matter what anyone says.
tdietel01
5/28/08 8:04:01PM
WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THAT AN IN SHAPE BJ WOULD STILL NOT GAS OUT? JUST CAUSE HE IS IN SHAPE DOESNT MEAN HE IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN GSP! SOMEONE MADE A GOOD POINT ABOUT WHY GSP STAYS WITH THE WRESTLING GAME. HE MIGHT BE A LITTLE TIMID ABOUT TRADING, BUT WHY WOULD YOU RISK GETTING KO'D BY A LUCKY PUNCH WHEN YOU CAN WIN ANOTHER WAY? WHY WOULD HE FIX SOMETHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN? BJ IS A GOOD FIGHTER BUT I BET HE IS FINDING IT HARD TO WALK AROUND WITH SO MANY PEOPLE SECURED TIGHTLY TO HIS NUTS. I SAY GSP WOULD WIN BY 2ND OR 3RD RD TKO.

REMEMBER EVEN IF YOU KNOW ITS COMING DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN STOP IT! AND IM NOT SURE ANYONE CAN STUFF HIS TAKEDOWNS ALL NIGHT!
Pookie
5/28/08 8:10:47PM

Posted by tdietel01

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THAT AN IN SHAPE BJ WOULD STILL NOT GAS OUT? JUST CAUSE HE IS IN SHAPE DOESNT MEAN HE IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN GSP! SOMEONE MADE A GOOD POINT ABOUT WHY GSP STAYS WITH THE WRESTLING GAME. HE MIGHT BE A LITTLE TIMID ABOUT TRADING, BUT WHY WOULD YOU RISK GETTING KO'D BY A LUCKY PUNCH WHEN YOU CAN WIN ANOTHER WAY? WHY WOULD HE FIX SOMETHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN? BJ IS A GOOD FIGHTER BUT I BET HE IS FINDING IT HARD TO WALK AROUND WITH SO MANY PEOPLE SECURED TIGHTLY TO HIS NUTS. I SAY GSP WOULD WIN BY 2ND OR 3RD RD TKO.

REMEMBER EVEN IF YOU KNOW ITS COMING DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN STOP IT! AND IM NOT SURE ANYONE CAN STUFF HIS TAKEDOWNS ALL NIGHT!

tdietel01
5/28/08 8:21:41PM
lol sorry i get excited!!
nubby
5/29/08 12:41:10PM
I'm a pretty big fan of BJ Penn but I don't think there is a chance in hell of BJ wearing GSP out. GSP is one of the most physically gifted fighters in the game today. BJ Penn did have better striking in their first encounter. A lot of people think that it was a glancing uppercut that caused GSP to start bleeding but that is not the case. He actually caused the bleeding from an upercut that connected square on the nose of GSP. The eye poke was an unfortunate incident and it's possible that was the cause of the lopsided striking exchange.

I see their second fight going much the same way of their first fight except BJ will last all the way to the end of the fight, which means you can expect much better ground game from BJ. My prediction is that BJ would submit GSP by the third round by a triangle, armbar or rear naked choke.
bigbubbano23
5/29/08 1:15:23PM
NTY. thats all i got to say about that
Mayhem13
5/29/08 1:57:21PM
Penn 2nd round TKO

I think GSP overall is a much better fighter then Sherk, but I think he is a little easier to finish as well...and with Penns flexibiltiy and Takedown Defence I think he can turn it into a standup fight
joshjr
5/30/08 2:18:57AM
I think that GSP would win. Penn is better at 155 then at 170. I hoep this fight does happen but not right now. Maybe after GSP has defended his belt a few times. Besides I would rather see GSP and Anderson Silva then Penn vs GSP 2.
breakdown5
5/31/08 1:16:28PM
While I think that this fight will probably happen, I really would like to see both GSP and Penn dominate a few more contenders in their respective weight classes before this fight happens.

But once they do clean house (and they both will) this fight will happen.

This fight is a dream rematch for sure. Penn and GSP are two of my favorite fighters. With that said, an in shape BJ Penn will cause fits for GSP. Penn lost the first fight because he gassed. Once he gassed, GSP could control him on the ground. If he hadn't run out of steam, Penn would have continued to win the fight. So really, as long as Penn continues to take the fight game seriously, I think Penn would take this fight in an exciting war of attrition.

But, it's MMA so you really never know what's going to go down.
browneye
6/1/08 7:08:43PM
It should happen, and I think BJ would dominate GSP IMO it would be a good fight tho but this time BJ would finish him in the second
Hurricane_Brad
6/1/08 9:37:56PM
I think we will see the fight eventually given that Penn was talking about fighting him after he beat Sherk, plus all the internet hype around it. It's kind of a lose-lose situation for GSP though. If he won (which I think he would), how could he defend the LW belt? I don't think he could make 155.
vince25
6/2/08 12:10:42AM
i hope that penn beats the crap out of GSP
Pages: 1 [2]