It is official Nog/Mir are the new TUF coaches

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » It is official Nog/Mir are the new TUF coaches
jocka
5/13/08 6:04:25AM
as per UFC.com :

The coaches for season eight of Spike TV’s The Ultimate Fighter®, the most successful original series in network history, will feature two of the UFC®’s all-time top heavyweights. Interim UFC® heavyweight champion, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and former UFC® heavyweight champion Frank Mir, will star in the new season featuring light heavyweights (205 lbs) and lightweights (155 lbs) premiering Wednesday, September 17 at 10:00pm ET/PT. Nogueira and Mir will square off in the Octagon™ for a to-be-announced UFC® pay per view event. UFC® President Dana White will once again serve as the show’s host.

They are going to be awsome coaches but lets face it Mir doesn't have what it takes to beat Nog.
browneye
5/13/08 8:56:21AM
Frank mir wont be able to submit Nog but he will more than likely be knocked out by Mir i predict it when they fight that Frank knocks him out in the third round
Jackelope
5/13/08 1:50:45PM

Posted by browneye

Frank mir wont be able to submit Nog but he will more than likely be knocked out by Mir i predict it when they fight that Frank knocks him out in the third round

Take your meds, buddy...

Anyway Mir doesn't have what it takes to finish off Big Nog. In any department. His standup is nowhere near the level of Nog's boxing, his chin is nowhere near Nog's, his cardio is nowhere near Nog's, his offensive BJJ is awesome but his all around BJJ game is nowhere near Nog's level. I'm honestly very surprised he would take a fight against Big Nog. He better train his ASS off. I'm a big Mir fan, but he aint ready.

He'll be a phenomenal coach on the show, though.
gsquat
5/13/08 2:52:59PM

Posted by browneye

Nog can't be knocked out silly. Down, yes. But out, never. If Fedor couldn't put him to sleep with those bombs, then the "boxing phenom", Frank Mir, won't be able to either.

This is a win for Nog. Surely not an easy win. Frank Mir can hold his own. But Nog has him in every aspect.

I'm not really sure how they figure Mir is next in line for a title shot. But whatever. I guess its because they couldn't resign Arlovski.
ncordless
5/13/08 3:01:44PM
Both should be great coaches. Should be a great season without alot of femmy drama.

As far as the fight goes... what a mismatch. I cannot think of one possible way in which Mir wins this fight. Mir's offensive Jits is pretty darn good, but he is not gonna catch Nog in anything. Neither one has a top wrestling game, and Nog's boxing will carry the day.
fullerene
5/13/08 6:59:27PM
Anyone who's heard him commentate for the WEC knows that Frank Mir is an intelligent guy who knows his stuff. That plus his ocatagon experience should make him a very good coach, not just for the show but if he wants to pursue that after his fight career has ended.

Nog I'm less sure about because I don't know how comfortable he is speaking English. FInding that out is probalby the most intriguing part of the show.
JBatch
5/13/08 7:13:25PM
I think the fighters on the season of TUF with these two as coaches are going to get a ton of knowledge and excellent training out of the season.

As for the way you guys are talking about how Frank Mir ha nothing to offer in a fight against Nog is eerily reminiscent of the attitude about Forrest going into his fight against Shogun.
jocka
5/13/08 7:43:24PM

Posted by JBatch

I think the fighters on the season of TUF with these two as coaches are going to get a ton of knowledge and excellent training out of the season.

As for the way you guys are talking about how Frank Mir ha nothing to offer in a fight against Nog is eerily reminiscent of the attitude about Forrest going into his fight against Shogun.

well forrest as better chances than mir has, i could see forrest pulling the upset but as for mir i don t see it stand up is going to nog, wrestling lest say either one can have the advantage and for the bjj i give it hands down to nog so
bls1919
5/13/08 9:24:50PM
IF it were any other weight class for the coaches i would be pissed. I hate it that UFC uses the champions and the contenders as coaches. it ties the belt up for WAY TOO LONG!!(just one schlubs opinion). But seeing as the HW division needs some tooling i suppose it will be ok. But what hapens to McCully does he just get screwed out of a PPV fight? If so thats shitty
warglory
5/13/08 10:02:52PM
I just can't believe Frank Mir is getting the next title shot. Yeesh
ncordless
5/14/08 1:36:15AM

Posted by warglory

I hear you there Warglory... nothing against the guy, but he subs Lesnar and gets a shot?
D0wnUnd6e6r
5/14/08 7:01:43AM
People can't seriously think Mir stands a chance...right?
JBatch
5/14/08 1:57:51PM

Posted by warglory

It makes no sense bu the more I think about it the more clear Dana's vision has become to me. Firt off I remember rumours that Mir was gone if he did not beat Lesnar. But he manages to secure the sub and retain his spot in the UFC. Now he is more famous than most of the UFC stable of fighters due to the fact he beat a WWE star.

So Dana seeing the opprotunity and not wanting to waste( ie fighting McCully) a new stellar PPV draw in Mir, decides why not make 2 HW's (my division in shambles) coaches and market the hell out of the fight. Now we will get "The 2 best HW BJJ practitioners in the world squarin off for the UFC HW belt."

My hat comes off to Dana because the PPV will sell well and no matter who wins (which in my opinion NOg about a 90% favourite) they will gain even more unwarranted notoriety.
telnights
5/14/08 3:49:49PM
I dont think Mir stands a chance of beating Nog but I understand why the UFC set this up and it will be sweet to see HWs on TUF.
Pookie
5/14/08 3:55:15PM
i wonder what the odds are going to be on mir, +1100?
hippysmacker
5/19/08 4:51:19AM

Posted by fullerene

Anyone who's heard him commentate for the WEC knows that Frank Mir is an intelligent guy who knows his stuff. That plus his ocatagon experience should make him a very good coach, not just for the show but if he wants to pursue that after his fight career has ended.

Nog I'm less sure about because I don't know how comfortable he is speaking English. FInding that out is probalby the most intriguing part of the show.

Exactly what i was thinking. GSP seems to have better English IMO, and I still think he has a slight English barrier. I hope Anderson is working on his , becuase I would like to see him coach TUF some day too, especially if he moves up in weight some day.
mkiv9secsupra
5/19/08 8:14:42AM
So if Nog is coach, my question is will he be stripped of the interim belt , can they even strip this belt? His last fight was on 2.2.08 by the time he finishes on the show it should have been a year.
kastro_316
5/20/08 5:39:10PM
I really hope they dont make a fool out of NOG