The Official Nirvana discussion thread

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Official Nirvana discussion thread
Jackelope
5/8/08 2:53:58PM
Okay I want to hash this out right here and now. Give me your opinions on Nirvana good or bad (since Nirvana bashing won't be fighter bashing ) I've seen this argument pop up here and there.

I think Nirvana did change music, but not for the better. In a way they moved music forward, but in another way I think they moved it backwards. I just can't look at a strung out dopehead moaning out his lyrics about his miserable life as a role model.

Now that it's been a while since Kurt Cobain's death I think it's fairly obvious to see that Dave Grohl was the driving force behind the band. I can respect Dave Grohl, but too many times the martyr himself Kurt Cobain is brought up as this genius. Rolling Stone magazine put him in their list as #12 of the top 100 guitarists of all time!! Above Jeff Beck, Randy Rhoads, Les Paul, David Gilmour, Eddie Van Halen and Warren Haynes just to name a couple! (A list which Ted Nugent, Slash, or Joe Satriani weren't even on, by the way) I see that as absolutely blasphemous and I don't even play the freaking guitar!

Basically the end state goal of this post is to find out why he deserves so much credit, and why Nirvana deserves so much credit.
iwannabesedated
5/8/08 3:07:24PM
I dont even think their the best band of their genre...Stone Temple Pilots,Alice in Chains,Soundgarden,Pearl Jam i think are all better bands than nirvana.Yeah Nirvana helped end the Hair Metal scene but there was one band they couldnt Kill...and that band was Guns N Roses.I think Kurt Cobain was EMO...anyone that kills themselves for no good reason other than the fact that your a junkie is emo...What was soo bad about his life...He had a wife and daughter and a band that was huge at the time...I read enough books and i dont feel bad for anyone who kills themselves...what a cop-out selfish bullshit thing to do.

Cladrix
5/8/08 3:11:18PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I dont even think their the best band of their genre...Stone Temple Pilots,Alice in Chains,Soundgarden,Pearl Jam i think are all better bands than nirvana.Yeah Nirvana helped end the Hair Metal scene but there was one band they couldnt Kill...and that band was Guns N Roses.I think Kurt Cobain was EMO...anyone that kills themselves for no good reason other than the fact that your a junkie is emo...What was soo bad about his life...He had a wife and daughter and a band that was huge at the time...I read enough books and i dont feel bad for anyone who kills themselves...what a cop-out selfish bullshit thing to do.

Couldnt of said it better myself

By the way Im going to see Stone Temple Pilots!!!!.... YAY!!!!
Jackelope
5/8/08 3:11:36PM

Word, I definitely agree on AIC, STP, and Pearl Jam being better.

Did I mention that the Rolling Stones list didn't have Stevie Ray Vaughn on the top 100 either?!?!?!?! (sorry every time that list comes up it drives me nuts)
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/8/08 3:27:01PM
STP was awesome, but ive always thought Pearl jam was overrated (but i know about 1 million people who would say otherwise, so take it for what its worth) but i still think Nirvana was better.

but Alice In Chains?
Staley & Cantrell are Rock Gods.
Cantrell is a sick lead guitar & NO ONE can sing like Lane Staley. He can be so powerful & angry, & yet you can still hear the vulnerability in his voice & lyrics. ******* AMAZING!
rabbit915
5/8/08 3:34:49PM

think Kurt Cobain was EMO...anyone that kills themselves for no good reason other than the fact that your a junkie is emo

Ive already shared my thoughts about Nirvana in another thread but i want to point out some things about this so called genre Emo. It is the most blatantly misundestood genre in the history of music.

Emo is a phrase orignally coming froms the genre emocore that originated in the late 80s and early 90s. Emocore is an offshoot of hardcore punk that focused less on all the anti-establishement stuff associated with punk and more on other kinds of subjects but sounded musically very similar. Some of my favorites from this era are bands like Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Jawbreaker, Husker Du, and Still Life.

Then in the mid 90s this genre evolved another type of music generally refered to as emo or indie emo. This genre softened the punk influence with some mid 90s indie rock and made some damn good tunes. Some of my favorites from this era are Sunny Day Real Estate (their album Diary is the best album ever), The Get Up Kids, Cap'n Jazz, Texas is the Reason, At the Drive-in, and The Promise Ring. The band Weezer's pinkerton album can even be thrown in with this genre. Its not for everyone but most people will admit that it doesnt suck in its entirety.

Then somewhere around the year 2000, a new set of groups started to mix in a pop-punk sound that was becoming popular and mixed it with influences from some of the groups ive mentioned previously and managed to make absolute shit. It sucks. Its the emo that most people are famaliar with and it should be made fun of.

Now some people will attribute only one of these genres to the term emo, some will include all of them. I generally use it to describe the middle one as it is my favorite of the 3. Most people however are only famaliar with the last one and therefore think the genre as a whole sucks.

My point in writing this little essay is that hopefully i can pass this information on to others so that next time someone asks me what my favorite genre of music with and im forced to use the term emo because there isnt another one out there, i dont get a bottle tossed at me from across the room.
bullettdodger
5/8/08 3:36:45PM
Jackelope seriously rollingstone is retarded.. they're so up theyre own ass with "pop" they have Jack White of the white stripes rated higher than Angus Young who if you don't know look up thunderstruck on youtube this guy plays this song one handed
At anyrate i think my point is cemented by the other people omitted from the list SRV being number 1 lol man can play better behind his back than 90% of contemporary guitarists can normally.

but don't hate on nirvana they're alright.. all the whiners that they spawned are fair game... but i like nirvana.. well like 3-4 of their songs but yoou get my point..
Foo Fighters>Nirvana hands down though
iwannabesedated
5/8/08 3:45:40PM
mrsmiley
5/8/08 3:47:57PM
I personaly don't like Nirvanas music.I prefer AIC to Nirvana anyday of the week.
Jackelope
5/8/08 4:09:01PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Jackelope seriously rollingstone is retarded.. they're so up theyre own ass with "pop" they have Jack White of the white stripes rated higher than Angus Young who if you don't know look up thunderstruck on youtube this guy plays this song one handed
At anyrate i think my point is cemented by the other people omitted from the list SRV being number 1 lol man can play better behind his back than 90% of contemporary guitarists can normally.

but don't hate on nirvana they're alright.. all the whiners that they spawned are fair game... but i like nirvana.. well like 3-4 of their songs but yoou get my point..
Foo Fighters>Nirvana hands down though

Yeah I'm with you on the Rolling Stone magazine thing 100%. I just hate that it's the premier music magazine for the masses and that they would have the audacity to publish the list.

Here it is for anyone to take a look at - http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/
rabbit915
5/8/08 4:21:56PM
You want to know whats really messed up about Rolling Stone and Nirvana? When the album Nevermind came out they gave it 3 out of 5 stars and called it unoriginal. Years later when they released their top 500 albums of all time they placed it at number 17. Talk about some revisionist history.
roadking95th
5/9/08 12:17:16AM
Simply put, Nirvana is my favorite band of all time. That said, putting Kurt on the guitarist list is just silly. That is unless they are not just comparing skill but also including influence (with their songs) and popularity. Didn't and not going to look at the list.

Love STP, Soundgarden, and AIC. AIC was at their best playing live, as was Nirvana. That's were I can really feel the "rawness" of their music. Others played technically better than Kurt, but his guitar "sang" to me. I think that is what counts most.

To each their own, but I respectfully ask others to lay off the murder/suicide talk.
Kracker_Jap
5/9/08 12:22:16AM
Just so you guys know how cool the 360 area is......

Kurt is from aberdeen wa. my home town growing up

I can answer a ton of info....

It was crazy there when he died people came from around the world
Pookie
5/9/08 1:25:28AM

Posted by Jackelope

Did I mention that the Rolling Stones list didn't have Stevie Ray Vaughn on the top 100 either?!?!?!?! (sorry every time that list comes up it drives me nuts)

I looked at the list and stevie ray vaughn is #7.
masodd
5/11/08 9:19:54AM
I only like 2 of there songs anyway: Smells Like Teen Spirit and Heart Shaped-Box. Kurt Cobain was a freak. Kurt definately aint in the top 12 guitarists of all time especially above Eddie Van Halen (eddie's in my top 5) rolling stone mag. don't know what they're talkin about. I like Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots better than Nirvana
Jackelope
5/11/08 2:00:14PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

I looked at the list and stevie ray vaughn is #7.

I'm so ashamed... he is!

Steve Vai or Joe Satriani still aren't on the list, though
holt8081
5/12/08 11:44:54PM
Nirvana SUCKS!!!!
I dont know who is better off Courtney Love or Kurt Cobain.
Raykill
5/13/08 12:48:30AM
I liked Nirvana enough, I can remember seeing the tape, yes I said tape, in Iraq and bought it just because it was on sale. No one knew who they were. It was a differant sound. Yes I think there were alot better bands that came from that era, but Nirvana really did give "grunge" its jump start.
Now if you want to talk on a more personal level, Kurt Corbain was a selfish piece of crap. I mean maybe I would have shot myself to if I was married to Love, but he had a young daughter that he left behind because whaa " I dont want to be the voice of a generation" Well good news loser, we didnt want you to be either.
Kracker_Jap
5/13/08 1:11:58AM
Maybe you guys are too young to have a valid opinion.......

I hit everyone of my teenage milestones to grunge music when it was still new

I can tell Nirvana has its place in history I remember when I first saw Teen spirit on Mtv it was a Buzz video....

Ah the good old days
Raykill
5/13/08 2:03:56PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Maybe you guys are too young to have a valid opinion.......

I hit everyone of my teenage milestones to grunge music when it was still new

I can tell Nirvana has its place in history I remember when I first saw Teen spirit on Mtv it was a Buzz video....

Ah the good old days