Official List Of Fighters To Take Part In NYE Japan Event - Arona, Sakari, And Melendez Added

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Official List Of Fighters To Take Part In NYE Japan Event - Arona, Sakari, And Melendez Added
grappler0000
11/21/07 10:11:15AM
M-1 has held a press conference in Tokyo today where it was confirmed that Fedor will fight on New Year’s Eve at Japan's Saitama Super Arena. The event is said to be supported by M-1, with the help of former PRIDE staff.

Below is a list of fighters that have been officially confirmed for the event:

Link
mrsmiley
11/21/07 10:15:23AM
So maybe Fedor will be fighting someone else.
Mayhem13
11/21/07 10:17:10AM
crosses fingers for

Arona vs Fedor (or even Aleks)
and
Melendez vs Aoki
thepunisher
11/21/07 10:30:13AM
yeah i like the looks of that card

there could be some really good fights
prozacnation1978
11/21/07 10:54:48AM
too bad the ufc hasn't signed some of these guys
but i wouldn't be surprised if they try to steal some of m-1 fighters
cowcatcher
11/21/07 11:07:31AM
there are some major studs on the list, and this card might shape up to be better than the dec 29 ufc event from top to bottom depending on the matchups. i really hope they have a US ppv deal in place because i dont want to miss this.
LR
11/21/07 11:07:32AM
Well, if Hong Man Choi gets brutalized by Lebanner at the K-1 GP event, then we won't see Fedor vs. Choi.

Likely, I think Arona would step in, or that rumor could be completely false, and they are setting up Fedor vs. Arona.
DCRage
11/21/07 11:09:56AM
M-1 = Mach-1. Sakurai being added definitely gets me more interested. Certainly good to see them bringing in several of these PRIDE guys.
thepunisher
11/21/07 11:42:35AM
what is the deal with him i thought he was going to fight in the UFC

they showed him at one of the PPVs if i am not crazy
CornishMMA
11/21/07 11:48:42AM

Posted by thepunisher

what is the deal with him i thought he was going to fight in the UFC

they showed him at one of the PPVs if i am not crazy

Well they obviously jumped the gun on that one, must of been very confident he was going to sign, but having said that dana has been known to announced things before they actually happen

This is great news, for the year mostly devoid of PRIDE we get to have a seriously quality mma event from japan with all these great fighters we have been deprived of
thepunisher
11/21/07 11:53:09AM
That doesn't sound like something Dana would do at all

Oh i forgot if it is Melendez fighting Aoki he better watch out for flying magic rainbow pants
pv3Hpv3p
11/21/07 12:02:46PM
Melendez / Aoki would be S I C K!!!

I'm hoping we see a Crusher vs Hellboy matchup as well...

Good to see the Grabaka Hitman back in action...

I agree with most, that I'd rather see Fedor fight Arona than HMC, but at least he's fighting again...

Looks to be a pretty stacked card... But I'm sure Dana would disagree, "Look at this shit card... A bunch of overrated *^$#'n chuckleheads and some dude with rainbow #%&!'n pants!!! None of these guys have even been on a $@!&'n reality show! @%^$!!!" lol
gspgnp
11/21/07 12:21:49PM
Melendez Aoki the fight I would be looking forward to the most. That would be an awesome matchup that would prove a lot about both fighters.
cmill21
11/21/07 12:26:56PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Melendez / Aoki would be S I C K!!!

I'm hoping we see a Crusher vs Hellboy matchup as well...

Good to see the Grabaka Hitman back in action...

I agree with most, that I'd rather see Fedor fight Arona than HMC, but at least he's fighting again...

Looks to be a pretty stacked card... But I'm sure Dana would disagree, "Look at this shit card... A bunch of overrated *^$#'n chuckleheads and some dude with rainbow #%&!'n pants!!! None of these guys have even been on a $@!&'n reality show! @%^$!!!" lol

Lol yeah he would say that, funny thing though, I was talking to a fellow who had words with Joe Silva, and Silva told him they made "big" offers to Aoki, GOmi, Mach, and Misaki but they all decided to stay in Japan due to their huge sponsorships, that he said the UFC coulden't provide them until they had a TV deal in Japan. He also said Josh Barnett is a pain to deal with, far to much for them to sign him despite his talent, he also said he loves Japan and doubts he would come to the UFC anyways. So both of those things look great for M-1 since they will hold events in Japan and probably have the best chance to sign barney.
loller90278
11/21/07 1:15:32PM
i hope they pick up babalu some time soon...
and after crocops contract is up (2?) more fights i think.. and he stated he has 5-6 fights in him left.. maybe he can finish his career in m-1!
then randy couture!

ooh the possibilities!
CornishMMA
11/21/07 1:31:02PM
LOL at "chuckleheads"

They are just RUMORS at this point but the full list includes -

Shinya Aoki
Ricardo Arona
Luis Azeredo
Joachim Hansen
Hidehiko Hasegawa
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Tatsuya Kawajiri
Gilbert Melendez
Kazuo Misaki
Hayato Mach Sakurai

Leland
11/21/07 3:14:13PM
Wow. M1 putting up a fight with the UFC. Great to see some PRIDE fighters transitioning to M1 over UFC. love it. I think they should do what PRIDE did and get a huge japan audience, and work their way into the USA just like PRIDE did til they were bought out :P
cmill21
11/21/07 3:15:23PM

Posted by Leland

Wow. M1 putting up a fight with the UFC. Great to see some PRIDE fighters transitioning to M1 over UFC. love it. I think they should do what PRIDE did and get a huge japan audience, and work their way into the USA just like PRIDE did til they were bought out :P

Oh and not lose their TV deal because they were involved with the Yakuza!
kerazzle
11/22/07 12:35:30AM
thank god. i need some variety in my mma. I miss all of these guys.
MMA
11/22/07 12:59:53AM
M-1 is looking scary. I think they have the UFC's attention.
CornishMMA
11/22/07 6:57:00AM

Posted by Leland

BUT ................. This isnt a M1 event

They have just loaned Fedor out for this mystery event for a mystery organization, lol if its a PRIDE ressurection with Sakikabara doign some serious cloak and dagger shitt! lol
xAcidburNx
11/22/07 7:47:46AM
I think i just dropped a deuce. i have been looking forward to see these guys fight again and theyre all on the same card. its just to bad a lot of the old pride guys have made theyre jump to the ufc . hopefully they win but only by boring decisions so dana doesnt want em anymore. thus all of them saying **** you ufc and go with m1 and these old pride suits.

hers hopin its ishida vs aoki and hansen vs melendez. personally i think they make for better fights than aoki vs gilbert and hellboy vs ishida. azeredo is a good contribution to any of these fights as well. omg they should have a tournament. god knows i dont wanna see another gomi azeredo fight again though .he also beat ishida pretty easily. maybe gomi vs melendez or aoki.

oh damn. im drooling. ima stop ima have an anurism at this rate.
jae_1833
11/22/07 1:40:33PM
This just goes to show you that competition for the UFC is out there! That list had 6-7 badasses on it!! Although I wish Fedor would go against Barnett already, I don't think it's enough to see him fight Arona.