Official Lesnar vs. Couture thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Official Lesnar vs. Couture thread
« Previous Page | Next Page »
shogun7
9/3/08 5:20:12PM
or just thinking down the line in the future and realizing a great star when i see one. This will all make sense to you when he is champ bub
breakdown5
9/3/08 10:47:37PM
Let me first say that I am no Lesnar nuthugger. I'll be rooting for Randy for sure, but...

I think that Lesnar is too big, athletic, fast, etc. for Randy. Lesnar will be the aggressor and will look to put Randy on his back and pound him with right hands, just like the Herring fight.

Randy has good head movement and pretty good boxing, his striking is technically better than Lesnar. But I don't think that he will be able to clinch with Lesnar without getting rag dolled, so he will probably shutdown Randy's dirty boxing style.

Randy has skills and more heart than ten fighters combined, but I see Lesnar riding him like a pony for five rounds, all the while punching him in that cauliflower ear of his.

It will be a sad day for sure.
Pitbull09
9/4/08 12:01:33AM

Posted by breakdown5

Let me first say that I am no Lesnar nuthugger. I'll be rooting for Randy for sure, but...

I think that Lesnar is too big, athletic, fast, etc. for Randy. Lesnar will be the aggressor and will look to put Randy on his back and pound him with right hands, just like the Herring fight.

Randy has good head movement and pretty good boxing, his striking is technically better than Lesnar. But I don't think that he will be able to clinch with Lesnar without getting rag dolled, so he will probably shutdown Randy's dirty boxing style.

Randy has skills and more heart than ten fighters combined, but I see Lesnar riding him like a pony for five rounds, all the while punching him in that cauliflower ear of his.

It will be a sad day for sure.

I can agree somewhat with this.

Coutures gameplans prob is best to stay up and do the same with Sylvia/ Gonzaga minus the clinching. He need to keeps distance, avoid any hit from Lesnar to his head and win five rounds.
Maybe he has something different planned like pulling of a Mir kneebar but his options get very limited with a guy this much bigger than him.
Couture got rocked by Gonzaga's right hand in his fight so getting Ko'ed is a possibility.

I am rooting for Couture but this match up is so much against in many aspects. Lesnar is the mold of what a HW division will be in 10 years (excpet with good BJJ) and hopefully there will be a 230ish division for fighters like Couture, Big Nog, and Vera but for now its this fight.

I am still undecided but leaning to Lesnar and not seeing anything changing that. Couture has proven enough times though he can shock the world
Pyrenus
9/4/08 3:36:15PM
Couture by Anaconda choke in the 2nd.
dickrocketjones
9/5/08 2:08:39AM
I'm not a Lesnar hater. The guy is a friggin' freak of nature. I don't think he is experienced enough to beat Couture. Being as gifted as he is of course he has a chance to win. That is the nature of MMA. Ask gsp. I think Couture is too savvy to let that happen. Lesnar gets on a single track and is unable to deviate from it. For instance against Herring he got so focused on pinning and hitting him that he failed to capitalize on the mount a few times and when he had his back. Did not see the opportunity, or did and did'nt know how to press the advantage. Could have had a spectacular win (submission or ko). Instead he just looked like a brute. In time I think he will be someone to be truly feared, but not yet. However, the heavy weight division is so weak that he is as deserving as anyone else. The Nog/Mir fight was already scheduled. Who does that leave really?
cdnpride1
9/5/08 11:17:58AM
Fedor will eat the UFC HW Division for breakfast, and as for randy choking out lesnar good luck with that.
k2k
9/5/08 10:18:45PM
So here it is...

Lesnar is scary for sure, we saw that versus Frank and Heath. I think more of what happened against Frank could happen against Couture, he's still a little sloppy and he could get easily caught.

Man Heath Herring looked in the best shape I had seen him so far, but took a little beating before getting layed on for the rest of the time, Brock has ZERO Jits still.

You can not count out Randy's heart ever!

Versus Kongo first, could be interesting depening on which Kongo showed up - but then again does anyone care?

Against the Big Korean guy (name escapes at the moment), now that might be something to see - World's Collide!

Bottom line is no matter what I see until Fedor is in the UFC even matters, Fedor would serve Lesnar up a quick lesson on being a true machine.
slapshot
9/6/08 1:58:45AM
I have no worries about stating Couture will absolutely win this fight for more reasons than I care to list but here are a few.

First we have experience, now I don’t know if Randy's plethora of experience will effect the fight more or less than Brock's LACK of any experience but combined this adds up poorly for Brock.

Basically, in the stand up it comes down to a Brock’s haymakers against Randy’s dirty boxing. I question weather Brock has the skill/timing in striking to hit Randy with anything Dangerous at all and we all know standing inside and slugging it out with Randy would be suicide for Brock who is less accurate and much slower as far as striking goes( Never mind that Randy in the clinch would control the fight) so the only other option is to go to the ground with Randy Couture.

On the ground there are a few fights Ive seen in Randy’s career he lost and he lost them by being out muscled and outworked due to stamina but that’s far in the past and randy really did fix that chink in the armor and my feeling is that even though Brock is stronger and has good cardio, Randy dose fine fighting stronger fighters now and I would even give the cardio edge to couture, in Brocks last fight he gassed enough for it to stop him from putting away Herring and if he dose that (gas’s out) with Couture Randy will pound his face to a puddle in the later rounds, if we see Brock get on top of Randy we will shortly after see Randy get out and back up if not just some kind of reverse.

Don’t be fooled Randy wants to take this fight to the ground! As many people will say he will want to keep it standing but lets not forget Randy is a world class Greco Roman wrestler and it’s a sure bet he will attempt to take down Brock if he gets the opportunity and nothing I’ve seen tells me Brock can defend against Randy’s takedowns witch equal points that win rounds, I ‘m sure he can power out of a bad position after a takedown but the points game is something he will have to think about if he wants to win.

Now in my mind the BIG question is “can Randy defend against Brock Lesnar’s take downs?”

And my answer is……. For the most part yes, yes he can and should be able to. I do have to say he wont be able to stuff them all and I think he will have to weather some G&P but Brock is so sloppy on the ground with his strikes that Randy should be able to defend well enough to exploit his experience and get Brock out of a dominant position. 

I really feel this is Couture’s fight to win or lose and with a Fedor clause/fight in his contract Randy wants to win and win fast to gain Fedor’s attention. 

Brock has a few opportunity’s here and by no means is this fight a “give me” Randy will have to go all in to win but when have we seen randy not walk in the cage and give it his all?
george112
9/6/08 3:06:32PM

Posted by slapshot

I have no worries about stating Couture will absolutely win this fight for more reasons than I care to list but here are a few.

First we have experience, now I don’t know if Randy's plethora of experience will effect the fight more or less than Brock's LACK of any experience but combined this adds up poorly for Brock.

Basically, in the stand up it comes down to a Brock’s haymakers against Randy’s dirty boxing. I question weather Brock has the skill/timing in striking to hit Randy with anything Dangerous at all and we all know standing inside and slugging it out with Randy would be suicide for Brock who is less accurate and much slower as far as striking goes( Never mind that Randy in the clinch would control the fight) so the only other option is to go to the ground with Randy Couture.

On the ground there are a few fights Ive seen in Randy’s career he lost and he lost them by being out muscled and outworked due to stamina but that’s far in the past and randy really did fix that chink in the armor and my feeling is that even though Brock is stronger and has good cardio, Randy dose fine fighting stronger fighters now and I would even give the cardio edge to couture, in Brocks last fight he gassed enough for it to stop him from putting away Herring and if he dose that (gas’s out) with Couture Randy will pound his face to a puddle in the later rounds, if we see Brock get on top of Randy we will shortly after see Randy get out and back up if not just some kind of reverse.

Don’t be fooled Randy wants to take this fight to the ground! As many people will say he will want to keep it standing but lets not forget Randy is a world class Greco Roman wrestler and it’s a sure bet he will attempt to take down Brock if he gets the opportunity and nothing I’ve seen tells me Brock can defend against Randy’s takedowns witch equal points that win rounds, I ‘m sure he can power out of a bad position after a takedown but the points game is something he will have to think about if he wants to win.

Now in my mind the BIG question is “can Randy defend against Brock Lesnar’s take downs?”

And my answer is……. For the most part yes, yes he can and should be able to. I do have to say he wont be able to stuff them all and I think he will have to weather some G&P but Brock is so sloppy on the ground with his strikes that Randy should be able to defend well enough to exploit his experience and get Brock out of a dominant position. 

I really feel this is Couture’s fight to win or lose and with a Fedor clause/fight in his contract Randy wants to win and win fast to gain Fedor’s attention. 

Brock has a few opportunity’s here and by no means is this fight a “give me” Randy will have to go all in to win but when have we seen randy not walk in the cage and give it his all?

No.your wrong.i dont agree with you.

Brock did not gas in his last fight.believe it or not couture isnt the only one with the strategies.brock smothered herring the whole fight for a reason.brock showed patience and controlled herrin for the entire fight.

Couture WILL NOT stop a lesnar take down.so to say that he will be able to is hogwash.couture isnt any where near his hayday anymore.the only thing hes been doin the past year.is makin a movie that imo wasnt really that good.and getting OLDER.randy is just to weak and slow to compare with lesnars abilities and athleticism.

Also it would be a BIG MISTAKE for couture to take lesnar down.for the simple fact that lesnar is a superior wrestler who would have no trouble at all sweeping or reversing couture using his freakish strength.thus resulting in lesnar havin top postion and controlling couture for 5 rounds.
mach
9/7/08 10:13:37AM
This fight is retarded and frankly I'm kind of insulted that it's happening at all let alone for a ******* title shot

Randy wins via sub, we all lose via brock lesnar fight
JBatch
9/9/08 2:28:06PM
First off good work fella's this has been a great topic with valid points being brought out for both sides. Here is my take.

1) Brock has not really "earned" his title shot but I didn't think Mir did either so c'est la vie.
2) This is going to smash, no, obliterate the old PPV record.
3) I don't think Dana is "punishing" Randy I think he is making a business move and a great one. And it just so happens that his business move will probably end the way he wants with Randy unconcious and Brock his HW champ.

Prediction for the fight is that Brock physically dominates Randy and when he huge gorilla paws start smashing Randy he goes out. I think Brock wins by TKO or KO by mid first round.
HLONWLS
9/10/08 3:43:25PM
Very hard to know where to be on this one. On one hand I think this ruins the legitimacy of the UFC. You got Nogera as the interim because Randy has locked horns with the boss. Lesnar has ZERO time in the cage and the UFC, but he is a name. I wonder how Nogera feels about not being able to defend his title against best fighters. After all it is his title by vacancy. How do all the other heavyweights that have + 15 or more fights on their record feel about Lesnar cutting in line? I think it is a bunch of BS.
Now for the other hand. Dana White is playing this to the bone. Will he make millions? YES. Will I be watching it? YES. Does Dana have very little downside by doing it this way? YES. However, I still stand by the first hand and say it is a black eye on the sport because this is a WWF style move. It makes money not sense, it should only be the best fighters not the most popular.

Later
HLONWLS
slapshot
9/10/08 10:50:57PM

Posted by mach

This fight is retarded and frankly I'm kind of insulted that it's happening at all let alone for a ******* title shot

Randy wins via sub, we all lose via brock lesnar fight

Randy really is not very likely to even try a sub, its one of the things he rarely goes for.

As far as Nogera, he really is the champ IMO and I would be very mad if were him.
mkiv9secsupra
9/11/08 12:30:02PM
The way to beat Lesnar is to keep the fight at a distance and strike and prevent the takedowns or completely outclass him with a submission game of your back.....neither of which Randy is too great at.

Randy really should have retired rather than resign.....just like Hughes, Great wrestling with decent subs and striking doesnt cut it anymore. Thankfully he stayed in the UFC or he would have been mauled by Arlovski, Fedor, and Barnett
XxChuteBoxexX
9/11/08 1:28:04PM
I think we should all forget about randy because even if he beats brock there is no way he will get past fedor so get over it
fullerene
9/11/08 1:39:43PM
A guy who's never finished a legitimate HW fighter before probably isn't going to start by steamrolling Randy Couture.
mkiv9secsupra
9/11/08 6:31:33PM
This fight is going to turn out like Jake O'Brien(couture) vs Cain Valasquez(Lesnar)......

We know Randy is a good wrestler but a younger faster stronger wrestler is still going to beat him....
fullerene
9/11/08 6:47:25PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

This fight is going to turn out like Jake O'Brien(couture) vs Cain Valasquez(Lesnar)......

We know Randy is a good wrestler but a younger faster stronger wrestler is still going to beat him....

Perfect analogy if Velasquez only had 1 HW victory, had lost in the UFC and only had 3 total fights and O'Brien was a multi-time world champion and one of the 3 best HW fighters in the world.

XxChuteBoxexX
9/11/08 9:02:21PM
well if lesners cardio is anything like his last 2 it could be a short fight
mkiv9secsupra
9/11/08 9:14:23PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Perfect analogy if Velasquez only had 1 HW victory, had lost in the UFC and only had 3 total fights and O'Brien was a multi-time world champion and one of the 3 best HW fighters in the world.

I was comparing the wrestling(Lesnar>Couture) of the two not the overall experience of the fighters.

btw....couture isnt one of the 3 best.......
fullerene
9/11/08 9:56:54PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by fullerene

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I was comparing the wrestling(Lesnar>Couture) of the two not the overall experience of the fighters.

You are comparing O'Brien's wrestling credentials with Couture's? Not to be condescending, but do you follow wrestling? There is a hierarchy of acheivement that puts Randy above Lesnar and well above O'Brien although his age and size are factors as well (I don't think Randy will take top position in the first round).

If Couture isn't one of the three best HWs who do you have in front of him?
mkiv9secsupra
9/11/08 10:08:05PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by fullerene

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

You are comparing O'Brien's wrestling credentials with Couture's?

If Couture isn't one of the three best HWs who do you have in front of him?

no no no, im comparing Brock and Coutures match to Obriens and Cain's in a wrestling perspective(Brocks wrestling/strength is going to overwhelm randy). think of watching Cain vs Jake but replace cain with Lesnar and Obrien with Couture. Lesnar is going to come in, put Couture on his back then pound on him til the ref stops....

Fedor, Nogueira, Arlovski, etc.....i have him ranked #10. i dont think he can beat many fighters right now.

JBatch
9/12/08 1:24:11PM
Do not get me wrong Randy Couture is simply amzing when he beat Timmeh I was so pumped I may have been able to lift a car. Randy has got some sick skills. Yet I see this fight being like Randy vs. Tito but now 1) its a HW 2) Randy is 5 years older putting him 5 years away from the those golden years the 50's and 3) Brock is stronger, physically bigger and despite his lack of MMA experience doesn't try to look outside his game plan like Tito does.

If it were to go 5 rounds who know the Natural could somehow pull something out. If Brock tries to bang with Couture he could go to sleep. Every way I look at this fight though I see Lesnar being stronger and more explosive. I will be rooting for Couture but my pick will be Lesnar 1st.
JasonSmolinski
9/12/08 6:23:33PM
We're gonna see Randy tap due to Massive Headlock. But unfortunately, after Randy taps Brock will heave him out of the octagon and onto the announcer's table. At this point Herb Dean will be powerless to stop Gray Maynard from running out of the crowd with a Steel Chair(tm) and belting Brock across the back of the head with it. Brock will slowly turn around and take a second chair shot to the forehead, and fall down. Maynard will climb the cage and perform a moonsault onto Lesnar, who is stunned but regains his feet and grabs Maynard.

Herb Dean will try to seperate the two, but be knocked out when Brock Irish Whips Maynard into the ref. Brock then bodyslams Maynard off the top of the octagon onto Jerry "The King" Lawler (who is sitting in the audience) and becomes the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion.

Then Brock has sex with Tito Ortiz, just because he feels like it, and Tito couldn't stop him if he wanted to (which he doesn't)

My two cents.
fullerene
9/12/08 7:35:24PM
Do people who pick Lesnar think that Couture would have come out with 1 loss and 1 decision win if he had fought Mir and Herring?
kris_ericson
9/14/08 1:04:13PM
lesnar by split desicion
bjj1605
9/14/08 8:36:56PM
I think that Brock Lesnar is the easy choice to make. He's bigger, stronger, younger, and more athletic (because he's younger.) But randy couture is more experienced, a better striker, at least as good of a wrestler, and has better submissions. And there is that intangible factor that randy has. You could say its his heart, maybe his great game plans, but something about him always seems to produce upsets. Anyone who has been following the sport for a while knows what I'm talking about.

Not only will randy couture win this fight, he will stop Lesnar in a brutal fasion.
mkiv9secsupra
9/14/08 10:24:07PM

Posted by fullerene

Do people who pick Lesnar think that Couture would have come out with 1 loss and 1 decision win if he had fought Mir and Herring?

i think they would both UD him
zach66700
9/15/08 6:16:53PM
Everyone is talking about Lesner vs couture

but did u see they are also going to have wanderlei vs rampage for ufc 91
atlus
9/16/08 1:07:19AM
i'm sorry but i gotta make this assessment

randy couture has what a couple fights worth of footage on lesnar?

but lesnar has tons and tons of tapings of randy

lesnar also moves like a lightweight, and as experienced as mir and herring are, they were both so caught off gaurd by lesnars shere speed and when herring at that first blow it broke his orbital bone

lesnar is also an evolving fighter, he'll learn more and more but i think lesnars perfect gameplan is to use chuck liddells counter game to his best advantage and work on his submission defence and accuracy for this fight

i see, if lesnar is smart, first round KO

lets go on just records alone for a second

herring fought big nog, rocked him, coulda finished, didnt, still lost, randy couldnt finish tim, big nog finished time, lesnar gave herring his most pathetic loss of his intire carreer, after all that experience, he had nothing to answer to anything brock threw at him

youd think, after fighting so many of the best, the man would have something to use? doesnt herring have more fight experience than randy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4