Its just about official: Frank Mir a coach for next TUF

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Its just about official: Frank Mir a coach for next TUF
Next Page »
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/4/08 5:02:20PM
My friend just goy accepted into the next TUF. He leaves in like 10 days. Anyhow, he said while he was at the tryouts the rumor was that they were hoping to get Frank Mir in as a caoch.

I just check UFC 86 on ufc.com, and Mir vs. McCully has been taken off. This was the first mtach other than the main event to have been confirmed...soo it looks like Mir will be the coach...hopefully againts Nog. (How good is Nog's english?)
Violence108
5/4/08 5:15:47PM
NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
seanfu
5/4/08 5:18:45PM
I would rather see Mir vs Vera as far as TUF. Title is still good and there is tension that Mir got beaten badly.
nickcuc547
5/4/08 5:45:57PM
i actually dont mind them holding up the heavyweight title for tuf because the division is so bad and it needs that extra time to be sorted out. i think the winner of werdum and vera gets the next shot unless aa re signs, but it gives each guy enough time for another fight to see who the clear cut contender is. unlike tuf 6, this one kinda makes sense to me.
Ordep
5/4/08 5:50:22PM
"got accepted" ?

If they're doing the same 32 fighter elimination, you mean "got invited to try".
juanez13
5/4/08 6:47:10PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i actually dont mind them holding up the heavyweight title for tuf because the division is so bad and it needs that extra time to be sorted out. i think the winner of werdum and vera gets the next shot unless aa re signs, but it gives each guy enough time for another fight to see who the clear cut contender is. unlike tuf 6, this one kinda makes sense to me.

i think the HW division needs to time to get a real view on who's on top, perfect Scenario would be Mir/Nog coaches, Vera beats Werdum, AA resigns and fights Vera, winner gets a title shot.
whardin19
5/4/08 6:50:07PM
Mir will make a really good coach. I'd definetally like to train under him. Will be routing for his team definetally.
tepid55
5/4/08 6:52:29PM
Mir is one of the best BJJ guys in the UFC.
juanez13
5/4/08 6:57:45PM

Posted by tepid55

yea Mir is one of the best BJJ guys in the UFC, But Big Nog IS the Best
wolfman
5/4/08 7:25:20PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by tepid55

Yes, this is very true.
Ben_Hutch
5/4/08 8:49:45PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by tepid55

2nd best............BJ Penn IS the best.
Mchubb316
5/4/08 9:39:21PM
If true, I think Mir will be one of the best coaches ever on the show. He seems very knowledgeable, and a big fan of the sport in general. First sub he will teach will be in my opinion the Darce choke.
Ben_Hutch
5/4/08 9:41:57PM

Posted by Mchubb316

If true, I think Mir will be one of the best coaches ever on the show. He seems very knowledgeable, and a big fan of the sport in general. First sub he will teach will be in my opinion the Darce choke.

I say flying triangle.
tepid55
5/4/08 10:18:06PM
Mir has some of best submissions in MMA.
juanez13
5/4/08 10:27:33PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by juanez13

Posted by tepid55

Dude BJ has good Jits, but Big Nog is better, no question in that
BJ penn 5 =subs (all chokes, which are his best sub, 4 RNC)
Big Nog 19 subs(choke:8 (including triangles, arm triangles, RNC,guillotine , anaconda etc..)....8 arm bars, etc..)

People think BJ has better Jits because he is so flexible, but truth is Big Nog is much better.
wolfman
5/4/08 10:41:45PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by juanez13

Posted by tepid55

Big Nog 19 subs(choke:8 (including triangles, arm triangles, RNC,guillotine , anaconda etc..)....8 arm bars, etc..)

People think BJ has better Jits because he is so flexible, but truth is Big Nog is much better.

Yep, I have to agree with my fellow soldier...again.
prozacnation1978
5/4/08 11:46:13PM
if there is one division that needs to be held up some it is heavyweight, a shame that mir will not be fighting in july, i was looking forward to it, not that many good matches there, i hope they have mccully face gonzaga now or at least eddie sanchez
bigbubbano23
5/4/08 11:56:04PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
not Frank please not frank. i do all i can to sit through his matches on ppv i can't take a couple months of him on spike. if your out there dana stop and listen to hear the screams of mma fans across the nation.
iam sorry iam a hater
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/5/08 12:09:33AM

Posted by Ordep

"got accepted" ?

If they're doing the same 32 fighter elimination, you mean "got invited to try".

Yea, I don't think they are doing that again this year. They went abck to the old format of two weight classes. But he's not sure, so he's training for it just incase.
Pookie
5/5/08 1:42:26AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by juanez13

Posted by tepid55

Penn has great transitioning skills. in that respect he has the #1 bjj in mma. Be flexibilty or not, its still his bjj that makes him p4p one of the best.
NatedawgThaM
5/5/08 1:58:29AM
BULLCRAP! BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! This cannot be happening!!!

Mir/Nog is absolutely stupid. Mir got KTFO by Vera. Then he beats two one dimensional fighters, a journeyman kickboxer and a one fight, inexperienced, over hyped pro wrestler and he gets a title shot? That is the dumbest thing I ever heard and the worst possible HW title match IMHO.

Vera vs Werdum is CLEARLY the best #1 contender match. Nobody else besides AA who has yet to resign deserves a title shot. Put Mir against Herring and/or Kongo. He is still very untested and unproven. Big Nog is going to absolutely murder Mir. His boxing is way better the Mir and no doubt Nog is the best BJJ fighter in the world in the heavier weight classes. Mir's JJ is no where near Nog's. He submitted a kickboxer with TD defense and no submission skills and a pro wrestler with limited experience attributing to the submission loss since Lesnar has submission defense, t's just he made a rookie mistake. How does this prove Mir is the next title contender?

Vera/Werdum Winner/Big Nog for TUF 8 coaches!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
hippysmacker
5/6/08 2:50:37AM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

Posted by juanez13

Posted by tepid55

I would rank Maia/Penn the best overall in the UFC.
At heavyweight IMO I would say it goes
1. Werdum
2. Nog
3. Mir
scoozna
5/6/08 10:55:07AM
I like Mir, but am not sure he makes a good coach - he seems lacking in the cardio and stand-up departments. But his English is good!

Good luck to your friend - keep us posted! Any inside info (no spoilers) is cool too.
tepid55
5/6/08 11:30:48AM
Mir's stand-up is pretty good.
Jackelope
5/6/08 2:00:55PM
Wow.. people really hate Frank Mir. Not really sure why.

He has 14 fights and only 2 of them have gone to decision. He's got 7 submissions and only 2 are the same submission (arm bar). He finishes or gets finished in almost every single fight, and the submissions he pulls off (Watch the Tank Abbott toe hold) are always exciting. No need to mention how exciting him pulling off the knee bar on Brock Lesnar was, or when he actually BROKE Tim Sylvia's arm. How can that not be exciting?

Haters will be haters, of course, but I just don't see how someone has to "force themself to sit through a Frank Mir fight"

Edit: Here's a HL video. Honestly, when was the last time you saw someone put somebody in a shoulder lock? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOf8anPP83E
JBatch
5/6/08 10:20:04PM
I wouldn't mind that fight at all. Both men are great on the ground and both can hold thier own standing. It would be a good fight with som amazing ground transitions and sub attempts and defense.

As talked about earlier itwould help to have these guys hold up the HW belt for a while as the division sorts itself out and a clear contender list emerges.

Also Monson is a good HW at Jits.
chubbud22
5/7/08 12:50:20AM
I like Mir. I think he is a good fighter and agreat announcer. I think Big Nog will win this fight fairly easily though, but who knows anything can happen. Look at Matt Serra.
GrandMaster313
5/7/08 1:06:24AM
Who Is your Friend that was accepted to try out for the next TUF>>???????????
Kpro
5/7/08 1:36:19AM
I guess I'm against the grain in thinking that Mir has the talent and charisma to be one of the best coaches ever for TUF. Nog's English is a much bigger concern.
Buddharox
5/7/08 1:46:42AM
Mir might be great as a coach, but he doesn't deserve a title shot.

But I guess that isn't something that's new in the UFC, or mma for that matter.
Pages: [1] 2