Official Dark Knight Rises Thread (SPOILERS)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Official Dark Knight Rises Thread (SPOILERS)
Next Page »
BlueSkiesBurn
7/20/12 7:51:32PM
I figure I will create this thread for people who want to talk about the movie without others potentially finding out things they didn't want to know.

Give your thoughts, reviews, etc. in here.

I wasn't impressed with this movie. Avengers was much better and, if I really think about it, I am actually pretty disappointed with the film. Bane went out like a bitch, Talia went out like a bitch. We spent most of the time watching a sick or injured Bruce Wayne. They pointlessly made Miranda into Talia only to kill her 5 minutes later. Absolutely stupid plot twist.

They brought back Scarecrow, for what? No point whatsoever?

I don't know. I expected better than that. It was good, but it certainly wasn't as good as the last one or as good as it could have been.
Chael_Sonnen
7/20/12 8:11:45PM
The only thing that was enjoyable when I went was the refreshments.....and the lobster tail afterwards

I give it a C -

My reason(s) why......

Groping for shape and substance in the long shadow of The Dark Knight, this movie is an unexpected disappointment.

Could've been titled 'Inception: Gotham City Edition.' About 90 minutes is near genius, the rest is useless. An endurable two hours and forty-five minutes, but I would never sit through it again - unless I could fast-forward to Catwoman's scenes.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/20/12 8:33:34PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by ChrisSabal

I am too tired to write a big review so I will give a little quick one. The marathon was a great experience. Seeing all 3 Batmen in IMAX was worth the $40 by a lot.

Ok now to the movie. First let me start off by saying if you think the Avengers was better than this then I will deem you clinically insane. The movie was fantastic. The only thing the dark knight has on it is the joker.

The beginning is a little slow but when they jump off boy do they jump off. It just gets better and better. This was the first movie in a long time that I sat on the edge of my seat.

The climax was perfect. I really couldn't see it happening any other way.

The ending was beautiful. That's all I will say about the ending.

Overall I give it a 9.5/10 since I believe no movie can be a 10/10.

Go see it.......now

Okay, let's really be fair.

Bane was the main villain and they killed him off like he was a pointless henchman with a bad joke that followed. That was absolutely weak. Miranda is revealed to be the real mastermind, but then she's killed 5 minutes later? They brought back Scarecrow for what purpose?

This movie was a 6-7 out of 10 at best. Batman spent the whole movie with either a broken back or some busted knees. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was the best part about this movie.

They pointlessly introduced 3 villains: R'as, Talia, Scarecrow.

Couple that with Bane getting blown up in a split-second scene and you have one of the worst executions known to man.

mrsmiley
7/20/12 9:00:38PM
I think the last film just had such big shoes to fill (Though I still think Batman Begins is better than the sequel).
I haven't seen it myself yet,but the consensus i'm getting in general is the film has some moments of genius followed with dissapointment. Still,I can't wait to see it this weekend.
TeamDEY
7/20/12 9:08:56PM
I honestly thought the movie was magnificent. I thought it was much better than The Avengers. The Avengers had really no story line like this film. I think Nolan took Batman to some place people would never imagine it could go. You see Gotham get conquered by Bane, but at the end you learn he wasn't even the worst villain of the film. Nolan literally made the ending one of the most epic in history. I don't know how people could say they weren't impressed with this film. The emotions of the film (especially at the end), had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I had doubts about catwoman but Nolan made it work perfectly. The movie may have not been better than Dark Knight but it ended the story perfectly and had an ending in which no one expected. I think it met its hype and worked about perfectly for the series.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/20/12 9:22:21PM

Posted by TeamDEY

I honestly thought the movie was magnificent. I thought it was much better than The Avengers. The Avengers had really no story line like this film. I think Nolan took Batman to some place people would never imagine it could go. You see Gotham get conquered by Bane, but at the end you learn he wasn't even the worst villain of the film. Nolan literally made the ending one of the most epic in history. I don't know how people could say they weren't impressed with this film. The emotions of the film (especially at the end), had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I had doubts about catwoman but Nolan made it work perfectly. The movie may have not been better than Dark Knight but it ended the story perfectly and had an ending in which no one expected. I think it met its hype and worked about perfectly for the series.

An ending nobody saw coming? I saw Miranda being Talia about an hour before it happened. The very minute that R'as made a cameo, I shouted Miranda is Talia.

I completely predicted Batman would get rid of the bomb and appear dead, but really be alive. I absolutely figured out that Blake was either going to be Nightwing or Robin.

Didn't see coming? These were so cliche it was disgusting. There was absolutely nothing original about that other than Catwoman and Batman ending up as a couple.

You want to know WHY I was so disappointed? Because everything was completely predictable and poorly executed.

Hell, I even predicted Bane would break Batman's back in the middle of the movie and Batman would recover and come to the rescue at the 11th hour.
Ordep
7/20/12 9:24:31PM
I'm on the same boat. Still Begins is my fav, followed by DK and then this. Nolan did it right again but got some flaws, some already mentioned here.

BSB nailed with his points, the Talia twist was awesome but short (compare it to the two-face twist in the 2nd and you'll know), then Catwoman comes in blows Bane off and ta daaan we won't see him again.

What pissed me off big time was this.. Wayne got crushed by Bane, almost killed, then spend a few D-A-Y-S in a small prison cell and MOST of those days he was all fucked up, then trains for about 10 days maybe? comes back and was beating the crap out of Bane.... yeaaaahhh right.

I really don't want to compare with Avengers since to me what Nolan was doing with Batman was a different concept than other superhero movies, but I definitely was expecting a bit more from this. Will see it again but just because of Hathaway.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/20/12 9:27:05PM

Posted by Ordep

Will see it again but just because of Hathaway.

This sentence sums up my entire feelings about the movie. Absolutely perfect.
mrsmiley
7/20/12 10:23:58PM

Posted by Ordep

I'm on the same boat. Still Begins is my fav, followed by DK and then this. Nolan did it right again but got some flaws, some already mentioned here.

BSB nailed with his points, the Talia twist was awesome but short (compare it to the two-face twist in the 2nd and you'll know), then Catwoman comes in blows Bane off and ta daaan we won't see him again.

What pissed me off big time was this.. Wayne got crushed by Bane, almost killed, then spend a few D-A-Y-S in a small prison cell and MOST of those days he was all fucked up, then trains for about 10 days maybe? comes back and was beating the crap out of Bane.... yeaaaahhh right.

I really don't want to compare with Avengers since to me what Nolan was doing with Batman was a different concept than other superhero movies, but I definitely was expecting a bit more from this. Will see it again but just because of Hathaway.

Yeah I think Nolans Bat films are hard to compare to the avengers. They're different beast,granted we can still choose what we like better. By nature, I find the idea of the avengers more appealing ( a team,cosmic warfare), they all remind me of my family (minus the super powers and more redneck) but I love batman as well.
For me,I will wait for a justice league movie. Then i'll make an avengers comparison.

In trilogies,it seems their is always somewhat of a letdown. Just look at X3,Spiderman 3,Aliens 3,and even though I loved it I heard a lot of criticism of Return of the King. But hearing all the spoilers just makes me want to watch this final Batman film even more,so that in itself says a lot for it to me.
DeadHead988
7/20/12 11:23:32PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by TeamDEY

An ending nobody saw coming? I saw Miranda being Talia about an hour before it happened. The very minute that R'as made a cameo, I shouted Miranda is Talia.

Don't be that guy
BlueSkiesBurn
7/20/12 11:56:44PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by TeamDEY

Don't be that guy

I should have been a little more specific. This was the middle of the day and there was nobody (I went to the crappy theater) in there. Oh, and when I say shouted, I mean movie theater "shouted." Basically, I said it out loud.

I'm not that guy who would ruin things for people. I removed a post in another thread and brought it here because Gogo reminded me some people hadn't seen the movie yet. People were writing reviews, so I thought spoilers had already been said. It was my bad, I didn't read all the posts. As soon as he told me, I moved it.

So, I'm not that guy, but I see why you said that. Thought I should clarify.
Chael_Sonnen
7/21/12 12:20:23AM
After watching this steaming pile of Donkey doo-doo, I really miss the cinematic magic of Batman Begins........

.......thank you Catwoman for getting me through the 4 hour run time.

Is it me or does Bane (with the mask on) speak more coherently than Rampage.....hmmm.....makes you wonder.
ChrisSabal
7/21/12 1:12:50AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by TeamDEY

I completely predicted Batman would get rid of the bomb and appear dead, but really be alive. I absolutely figured out that Blake was either going to be Nightwing or Robin.

Didn't see coming? These were so cliche it was disgusting. There was absolutely nothing original about that other than Catwoman and Batman ending up as a couple.

You want to know WHY I was so disappointed? Because everything was completely predictable and poorly executed.

Hell, I even predicted Bane would break Batman's back in the middle of the movie and Batman would recover and come to the rescue at the 11th hour.

You predicted it? Batman pointed out himself that he was going to live by mentioning the auto pilot.

Almost everyone who looked up info on the movie or was even into the movie had a feeling Talia was Tate because there was mention of a 3rd hidden villain and most people felt Blake would be Robin because Nolan signed on to be producer for the next Batman 'reboot'.

If you pay attention to the comics you know Bane is know for breaking the Bat. A 12 year old could have made that prediction if they knew anything about Bane.

ChrisSabal
7/21/12 1:14:43AM

Posted by Ordep

about your Batman coming back and beating the crap out of Bane. No that really didn't happen. Batman fought smarter than Bane. Bane was beating the crap out of him but Batman started knocking off his mask and Bane mentioned in the beginning of the movie that if they removed it that it would be extremely painful.

Batman didn't beat the crap out of Bane. He came back and fought smarter. Got Bane mad and made him sloppy which led to Batman finishing him off.
prophecy033
7/21/12 1:49:42AM
Just got back from watching it. I really liked it but there were some areas that were kinda lame and others that had me pulling off the Jersey Shore fist pump.

I liked the way that Catwomen was introduced to the story. Stealing from Bruce Wayne himself and jumping from the window. I also liked the way Hardy played Bane. I truly got the feeling that dude was a badass and that i probably shouldn't fuck with him if i ever met him. I didn't care for the way the scarcrow was used in this movie and there were a few slow spots but overall i liked it.

When Bane starts getting sloppy during the second fight with Batman because he got real angry was what R'as told Bruce during Batman Begins. When your angry or after revenge your mind gets clouded and you get sloppy and predictable and when your sloppy and predictable you're vulnerable. Bane got vulnerable and got worked by Batman.

The one thing that kinda pissed me off was how Bane went out. That was some weak shit, although, if you get hit with that gun it's probably gonna end it right then and there. But with the way he handled Batman the first time, you would think he would have put up more of a fight
frizzzlecake
7/21/12 4:06:58AM
Tom Hardy as Bane was a great casting roll he's one of my favorite actors and in my nutthugging opinion did an amazing job. I refuse to believe the man that broke batman's back died from that blast.

Anyone else pick up the girly scream Batman made when he got stabbed? I mean his back get's broken and he sounds like Hatebreeds backup singer, but when he get's stabbed he screams like a girl?lol

Overall: B

Question: Could Robin have his own trilogy without the help of Bats?
prozacnation1978
7/21/12 4:33:02AM
Just got back from movie

Overall I enjoyed the movie.
A little too long. First hour dragged.

I did guess about jgl being robin
Glad Batman didn't die. And lived with Alfred seeing him across the table was touching.

Bane death was shitty. Should have been more memorable as well as talia's

Overall great movie. Gotta watch avengers and Batman again to see which one is the better film. Spidey was great too but Batman was better for me
SpiderSilva
7/21/12 10:54:15AM
I likedit thought it fit in just perfect with the other 2 movies. I never go in expecting anything great from comic book movies but these batman movies have built a good rep and this film didn't hurt it at all imo
ChrisSabal
7/21/12 11:50:44AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Tom Hardy as Bane was a great casting roll he's one of my favorite actors and in my nutthugging opinion did an amazing job. I refuse to believe the man that broke batman's back died from that blast.

Anyone else pick up the girly scream Batman made when he got stabbed? I mean his back get's broken and he sounds like Hatebreeds backup singer, but when he get's stabbed he screams like a girl?lol

Robin is a boy wonder so he wouldn't get his own trilogy. He would instead be Nightwing.
FastKnockout
7/21/12 1:28:32PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by frizzzlecake

Robin is a boy wonder so he wouldn't get his own trilogy. He would instead be Nightwing.

I'd watch it. Nightwing is one of my personal favorites from DC.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/21/12 2:58:48PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You predicted it? Batman pointed out himself that he was going to live by mentioning the auto pilot.

Almost everyone who looked up info on the movie or was even into the movie had a feeling Talia was Tate because there was mention of a 3rd hidden villain and most people felt Blake would be Robin because Nolan signed on to be producer for the next Batman 'reboot'.

If you pay attention to the comics you know Bane is know for breaking the Bat. A 12 year old could have made that prediction if they knew anything about Bane.

I don't get this post. You basically just agreed with everything I just said about its predictability.

Yes, I predicted the ending. It was a movie about a bad guy with a nuke. How do these things almost ALWAYS end? We JUST did this in the Avengers. Remember? Tony Stark took the nuke into space and people thought he died? Or G.I. Joe with Ripcord.

This is what I mean. People can't see the basic plot here. At the end of the day, it's a bad guy with a nuke and innocent victims at stake. So, no. I wasn't surprised when Batman came back at the 11th hour to save the city from a nuke and "die" in the process. Most Hollywood movies will not reinvent the wheel.

Bad guy with a nuke isn't exactly a new concept here, bro. And you said it yourself, anyone with a brain knew Bane would break his back. Almost everyone knew Tate was Talia.

So, again, what about this movie was "surprising?"

EDIT: I feel like I should say this. Just because it was predictable didn't make it awful. I was just disappointed because I thought they would do a little more than this. Some people might not get that. I really feel like this one didn't capture me even half as much as the other two.
frizzzlecake
7/21/12 3:01:47PM
Another question I have, Why does Bane always have his arm's in a position to rip his shirt off? Does he do it because it leaves his hand closer to his face to be ready to scrap? Or is just his thing, like the Jokers creepy walk?

BlueSkiesBurn
7/21/12 3:03:30PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Another question I have, Why does Bane always have his arm's in a position to rip his shirt off? Does he do it because it leaves his hand closer to his face to be ready to scrap? Or is just his thing, like the Jokers creepy walk?

I always just figured that's how someone like that would stand around. If you were bigger than shit and on a drug that made you impervious to pain AND you had all this training, wouldn't you stand like a badass, too?
warglory
7/21/12 5:08:13PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by TeamDEY

Bane breaking Batman's back is part of the comic book series, so I don't think that was supposed to be a surprise.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/21/12 5:20:24PM

Posted by warglory

Bane breaking Batman's back is part of the comic book series, so I don't think that was supposed to be a surprise.

I realize this, but I was talking about it more in terms of placement within the movie. A la most sports movies where a player overcomes a major injury to lead his troops to victory. Or other superhero movies where they seem completely defeated, but somehow rise from the ashes (Harry Potter).

I don't think Bane breaking his back wasn't expected, but many people wondered if he would have his back broken at the end. If it would somehow be the way Nolan ends it. Bane is defeated and Gotham is saved, but Bruce is no longer Batman.

You knew Blake was going to be some future superhero. So, breaking Bruce's back at the end, but having Blake take over--you know, like it actually happened in the comics--wasn't out of the question. I knew it would happen this way.

Similar to Enter The Dragon.
warglory
7/21/12 5:21:57PM
So here's my assessment. I enjoyed the film for the most part. Nolan continued with the dark imagery, with the bad guys often coming out on top for much of the movie, which is a plus in my book for a superhero film. My biggest qualm about this film though, was how epic Nolan tried to make it.

This film did not need to be as long as it did, and it did not need to have the whole saving Gotham City from a nuke angle either. I just thought this story arc dragged on for far too long and lost it's luster. Holding a city hostage for 5 months? Granted, we needed a way to explain how Bruce Wayne recovered from his injuries, but it was just a bit much for me. I was really hoping they would have stuck with the Knight Fall story arc more (which clearly this film was based on), as that is one of the best Batman stories ever.

You could have had the Bane thing, the Talia thing, the fall of Wayne Enterprises, etc, but the whole nuke thing just went way too far.

Bubbles
7/21/12 7:04:54PM
BSB, what new movie is really any different than any older one when you break it down to its basics (bad guy with nuke in this case)? How many "boy meets girl and ends with girl" movies is being pumped out every 3 months? How many "protagonist overcomes adversity to achieve goal" movies have you seen?

Unless its a mindfuck movie, every skeletal plot is the same. I don't disagree with your pov, as the ending was as cliche as can be, but lets not get carried away calling it a disappointment. I too believe Avengers > DKR, but this movie is like an 8/10
Ordep
7/22/12 12:05:19AM

gartface
7/22/12 7:46:20PM
Loved every second of this movie. Felt that Nolan did an amazing job and tied the trilogy up very well.

Oh and who said Bane died?
Poor_Franklin
7/23/12 2:51:24AM
i went into this movie not expecting any surprises & think it was pretty damn good. i can see where some could be disappointed, as i might have been too had i gone into it hoping for the film to surprise me in some way.

kind of like the last harry potter (NERD ALERT). i knew what was going to happen, therefore instead of looking for the surprise, i was more into the artistic impression of the original story.

i still liked the other 2 better, but that doesnt mean that i didnt like the way they ended it.

i rank them:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises

i also loved that they possibly introduced us to Nightwing.

Sir Michael Caine was amazing.
Tom Hardy did a great job as well.
And I loved seeing Anne Hathaway bent over that bike

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Pages: [1] 2