well, its official

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » well, its official
wiggum
12/23/08 4:13:28PM
link

well, its official....lietes-silva...booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Hendo67
12/23/08 4:16:44PM
God damnit, just another lackluster opponent for Silva, in all seriousness.
wiggum
12/23/08 4:18:12PM
cant agree more!.....so my question is, why wouldnt okami be ready by then?
Twenty20Dollars
12/23/08 4:38:23PM
Because Okami still has to win and be healthy.

This is actually a good fight, I wouldnt be suprised to see an upset. But i wouldnt bank on it, I just see it being an exciting fight.
wiggum
12/23/08 4:47:33PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Because Okami still has to win and be healthy.

This is actually a good fight, I wouldnt be suprised to see an upset. But i wouldnt bank on it, I just see it being an exciting fight.

if thats the case, then they should have waited one week to see if he was ok....your right, it should be a good fight as long as it lasts....which i personally see a first rd ko.....lietes needs to tighten up his standup, he leaves his chin up and exposed with a wide open guard way to much, and with a guy like silva, hes gonna touch it.....but what i dont like is the fact that hes not the number one contender...okami is.....theres no getting around it.....after that, throw in nate again or maia or even (for a strectch here) wait to see what kang does in his debut, escpially since the fights is likely in canada and kang is technically canadian (dont forget about gsp either)...but lietes hasnt done much to deserve a title shot when they still have options to exaust is my point...it will be nice to see silva fight....but im over him not being challenged the last couple outings
MikeyG
12/23/08 4:56:27PM

Posted by wiggum

imo okami will get it if he finishes lister early on and is exciting, i think thats the hangup of the UFC unfortunatly, if you dont excite you arnt rewarded as quickly, which is sad
mattjonesy
12/23/08 5:04:14PM
yeh okami is a great fighter , but sadly i dont think hes gonna get a title shot no matter how many wins he racks up, just because hes not that marketable.
copcopps
12/23/08 5:41:39PM
this is retarded, if I was Okami I would take a pay cut and go to Dream... maybe.
mk1630
12/23/08 5:43:45PM
Im alright with it. I dont think he has a very good chance, but he's won his past 5 fights. The winner of Okami/ Lister will probably get the next shot.
Wolfenstein
12/23/08 6:47:03PM
I think Okami lost his chance when he had to bow out of his match with Silva due to injury. Now he fights Lister and if he wins he's next up, and will probably be ready right away to fight Anderson--if Silva should want to take a few fights in relatively short periods in between.

I like Thales Leites vs Silva because of the style matchup. Thales is an accomplished grappler placing 3rd in the 2001 BJJ word championship. He is no joke on the ground. He's the only guy to submit Gustavo Machado, which is a huge accomplishment. His bread and butter arm triangle is a killer on the ground. Sometimes he transitions with the arm triangle ( katagatame) from the back like in the Machado and Floyd Sword fight, and it's pretty slick.

If Thales can get it down he's at a disadvantage, and the only time Anderson has looked in trouble on the ground was against another BJJ BB Travis Lutter. No offense to Travis but Thales is a much better grappler.

Obviously on the feet it's no contest. Like Wiggum mentioned he tends to keep his hands wide apart. His lead hand just kind of dangles around his shoulder. It kind of seems like an ongoing process. Each fight his guard seems to tighten up bringing his hands higher and higher. Hopefully by his fight with Anderson he'll have adopted a peek-a-boo boxing guard. Otherwise Silva will crush him with straight lefts.

Thales has won five in a row (he beat Nate Marquardt fair and square) and he's a dangerous opponent who's 14-1. I'll also add that his camp Nova Uniao is a camp to watch out for.

Well now that I'm done being Dana's mouthpiece..moving along...
PeteD
12/23/08 7:15:51PM
Yes, he did beat Marquardt fair and square, but with the numbers the scorecard put out, if Marquardt wasn't deducted the point for back of the head, Leites would have lost.

What I can't figure out, why is Leites more deserving of a title shot than Demian Maia? Maia is undefeated 9-0, has (IMO) defeated better competition, and (referring back to Wolfenstein) defeated Gustavo Machado in an MMA match.

I think Maia, is more well rounded, has a stronger MMA game, and would pose a bigger threat on the ground than Leites.
prozacnation1978
12/23/08 8:12:16PM
if they waited another week they would say okami

i feel for him and machida both getting the shaft
okami deserves his shot
jiujitsufreak74
12/23/08 8:31:46PM
Marquardt nearly KOed him, Silva is going to eat him for breakfast unless he develops a Division I All American Shot.
nickcuc547
12/23/08 8:38:01PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by wiggum

imo okami will get it if he finishes lister early on and is exciting, i think thats the hangup of the UFC unfortunatly, if you dont excite you arnt rewarded as quickly, which is sad

i don't know it makes me pretty happy seeing exciting fighters get better fights than boring ones.
nickcuc547
12/23/08 8:39:40PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

okami deserves his shot

imagine how awesome a card would be with okami and machida both on the main card with title fights. I got a good name for the card.

UFC __ Nap Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wallass
12/23/08 8:52:56PM
It sucks that with only a rumoured 5 more fights for Silva, we get real lackluster fights in Okami and Leites. Leites could be alright but Okami should be pretty boring. Just wish they would make these fights big, Anderson vs Chuck, Anderson vs GSP, Anderson vs Bisping ( even though he doesn`t deserve it yet), Anderson vs Cote 2. At least these four fights would be BIG money makers for the UFC.
Wolfenstein
12/23/08 9:02:50PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by prozacnation1978

okami deserves his shot

imagine how awesome a card would be with okami and machida both on the main card with title fights. I got a good name for the card.

UFC __ Nap Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a big Machida fan, but that was funny.
Khaos
12/24/08 4:04:42AM
It's a waste of a fight on Silva's contract is you ask me, I'd much rather see a fight like Okami-Silva, or Random LHW vs Silva, but THALES LEITES, ugh The only way he could win(IMO) is by using his unibrow to blind Silva, then sub him.
MMA
12/24/08 8:59:55AM
Leites almost got KTFO by McFedries so I don't think he'll last very long against Silva.
MikeyG
12/24/08 2:08:14PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by wiggum

i don't know it makes me pretty happy seeing exciting fighters get better fights than boring ones.

lesnar wasnt exciting in beating herring going 1-1 and look what he got
fonduktoe
12/26/08 2:47:56AM
silva will come out hardcore in this fight to circumvent the negativity surrounding his bizarre fight with cote (which ended as anticlimactically as possible).
on that note remember if silva wins this fight he will hold the new ufc record for consecutive wins in the octagon. he's currently tied with royce gracie and jon fitch at 8 wins but only silva has an active streak (not to mention props for most of these fights being belt defenses against high caliber opponents).
gsquat
12/26/08 4:25:28PM
I don't doubt Leites's JJ is good enough. He's just too damn slow for Silva. I know Silva is taken down quite a bit in all his fights, but Leites doesn't have the speed of Lutter even. I really see this as a BS fight, but thats not to take anything away from Leites. He could win if he finds a way to get it to the ground.