The Official 2012 MLB Season Thread

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Official 2012 MLB Season Thread
« Previous Page | Next Page »
ChrisSabal
10/29/12 2:51:13AM
what an exciting world series. One for the ages.
Bubbles
10/29/12 8:39:16AM

Posted by ChrisSabal

what an exciting world series. One for the ages.

aside from one of my disliked teams winning the World Series, I enjoyed it. Teams ignored, that is the kind of baseball I love to watch. Pitchers tossing gems + clutch hitting + close games = what baseball is all about. I know I'm in the minority but I prefer to watch a 2-0 game than a 9-7 game....unless my Cardinals come back from 6-0 down in game 5 of the NLDS
airkerma
10/29/12 9:35:25AM
Made 50$ on the Giants
BuffaloDave
10/29/12 10:54:35AM
Congrats to any Giants fans here.
Ordep
11/13/12 7:34:33PM
What in the living fuck are the Marlins thinking? Holy crap I thought that franchise couldn't get more pathetic and they are about to prove me wrong.

I guess Bubbles is gonna' have a party if that trade goes through.

Stanton is pissed about the move to, BRING HIM TO ATL!!!
Poor_Franklin
11/13/12 8:20:33PM

Posted by Ordep

What in the living fuck are the Marlins thinking? Holy crap I thought that franchise couldn't get more pathetic and they are about to prove me wrong.

making room for A-Rod. i would hate to be a Marlins fan.
Gogoplatapus
11/13/12 8:46:12PM
Anthopolous wins the A Rod trade if it happens.
Budgellism
11/13/12 9:14:08PM

Posted by Ordep

BuffaloDave
11/13/12 9:15:18PM
Marlins should be demoted to AAA, this is ridiculous on how they're managing this team. They remind me of the morons that play fantasy sports, and release players when their team is playing like garbage.

Stanton should demand a trade.
Ordep
11/13/12 10:21:00PM
Since the AAAstros moved to the AL the new MAAArlins wanted to keep the tradition.
prophecy033
11/13/12 10:40:27PM
You guys make me laugh, try being a Mariners fan. Every season starts with no hope.
jakewalters
11/13/12 10:50:01PM
How stacked is the AL East now??

Yankees-Red Sox-Rays-Orioles-Blue Jays

Damn son.
Bubbles
11/14/12 10:41:52AM
I can't believe Anthopolous actually did something significant. This is awesome

The Marlins tried being the Yankees, and failed miserably. Now they are trying to build a team the right way. I'll break down some of the players going to Miami

- Adeiny Hechavarria will be a stud very soon. He will win at least 5 gold gloves when his career is over and he has made significant improvement offensively every single season. I think he was the best defensive middle infield prospect in baseball. In the majors he played 3B or 2B and played exceptional defense...he's a natural SS. Watch out for him
- Yunel Escobar is an above average SS both defensively and offensively. His attitude and discipline are the only things keeping him from being a really good player.
- Henderson Alvarez is a good young SP that needs some refining. He's a sinkerball pitcher but needs to be more consistent and strike a few more people out. He's got a low-mid 90s fastball and a fairly good slider/curveball...he just needs to work on a out pitch. He was brought up to the majors too soon, due to a lack of depth in the rotation, so a season (or until callups are needed) at AAA will be very beneficial for him. He's only 22 right now, he's got a bright future.
- Jeff Mathis is a great defensive catcher with limited offense. He can greatly help with a young rotation though
- Justin Nicolino is one of the "Lancing 3", aka one of the 3 top pitching prospects in the system. He's a lefty, 20 years old, and averaged a K an inning. He only walked 21 batters in 124 innings in A ball. MLB.com has him as the #86 ranked prospect
- Jake Marisnick is a top 3 prospect in the system. Really good defensively, plus speed and a plus bat. Needs to work hitting with more power, but that will come with time. MLB.com has him as the #35 prospect in all of the minors
- Anthony DeSclafani I don't know anything about except that he's a pitcher and might end up being a reliever down the road
BuffaloDave
11/14/12 1:36:30PM
Tigers signed Torii Hunter to a 2yr 26M deal.
FlashyG
11/16/12 2:29:12PM
The Jays have now reportedly signed Melky Cabrera from the Giants.

2 yrs 16 million.

Story
Bubbles
11/16/12 7:30:00PM
just waiting to Selig to approve the trade and the Jays will be World Series favourites
Ordep
11/19/12 6:52:06PM
"Hamilton to Brewers makes sense"

I wonder what ESPN actually meant with that sub-headline
Bubbles
11/19/12 9:48:14PM

Posted by Bubbles

just waiting to Selig to approve the trade and the Jays will be World Series favourites

trade approved
Shawn91111
11/19/12 11:26:14PM
They wont even finish above 3rd in the AL East
Bubbles
11/20/12 9:52:36AM

Posted by Shawn91111

They wont even finish above 3rd in the AL East

Renaming John Gibbons as manager, you're right
Bubbles
11/29/12 9:18:53AM
BJ Upton signs with Atlanta for 5 years @ $75 mil

Andy Pettite resigns with the Yankees for 1 year @ $11 mil so much for cutting payroll. Ichiro @ $5 mil for 1 year is a good signing

Jonathan Broxton signs with the reds for 3 years @ $21 mil

Shawn91111
11/29/12 3:45:00PM

Posted by Bubbles

Andy Pettite resigns with the Yankees for 1 year @ $11 mil so much for cutting payroll. Ichiro @ $5 mil for 1 year is a good signing

The cutting payroll is for 2014, and they essentially did with letting Swisher go.
BuffaloDave
11/29/12 4:12:08PM
Happy the Braves got Upton, hopefully he can get that avg. up. Good replacement for Bourn.
Poor_Franklin
11/29/12 4:57:32PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Happy the Braves got Upton, hopefully he can get that avg. up. Good replacement for Bourn.

agree. glad the Braves had a guy they wanted & actually got him.
Bubbles
11/29/12 8:50:23PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Bubbles

The cutting payroll is for 2014, and they essentially did with letting Swisher go.

I heard they were cutting costs for this upcoming season, trying to bring it below $180 mil
Shawn91111
11/29/12 9:13:31PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Bubbles

I heard they were cutting costs for this upcoming season, trying to bring it below $180 mil

2014 for $189 mil
Shawn91111
11/29/12 9:14:45PM
Mo Rivera signs for 1 yr around $10 mil
Poor_Franklin
11/30/12 4:10:08PM
Braves trade Starting Pitcher Tommy Hansen for Angels Reliever Jordan Walden.

Braves had a lot of starters so I knew we would trade one eventually. I don't know anything about him, but his #s def aren't jumping out at me.
Ordep
11/30/12 5:12:26PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Braves had a lot of starters so I knew we would trade one eventually. I don't know anything about him, but his #s def aren't jumping out at me.

Money move in principle but with a good upside. Walden was the Halos primary closer in 2011 but last year he wasn't that great. Anyway, he's ~25 with a really high AVG fastball speed (I believe is around 97). Way better RHP signing than Linebrink, Proctor, or Durbin. He is still in arb year so his cost would be around 550K while Hanson is set to make 4M. The move leaves the Braves with 13.5M left to sign(or trade for) a LF, fill the bench spots and(or) extend some of the current guys. Great move by Wren.
Bubbles
11/30/12 5:21:27PM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Money move in principle but with a good upside. Walden was the Halos primary closer in 2011 but last year he wasn't that great. Anyway, he's ~25 with a really high AVG fastball speed (I believe is around 97). Way better RHP signing than Linebrink, Proctor, or Durbin. He is still in arb year so his cost would be around 550K while Hanson is set to make 4M. The move leaves the Braves with 13.5M left to sign(or trade for) a LF, fill the bench spots and(or) extend some of the current guys. Great move by Wren.

I like the trade for the Braves. Walden in the 7th, Venters 8th and Kimbrel 9th is about as solid as you will get this year.

Hanson had a down year but he is still a nice #2 or great #3 in any rotation. With the Angels losing Haren and Santana, they needed this
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12