OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread
« Previous Page
soundboy1
8/7/08 8:33:05PM

Posted by madchaodizzys

Debating UFC vs. Pride is like arguing American league vs National league. IT'S THE SAME SPORT!! Yes, there are differences, but they are two sides of the same coin. Let the fighters fight, let the fans enjoy.

But its obvious they were at least equal. I mean how many marquee matchups were there in the last year that did not include former pride fighters. My nuthugging for pride comes from the fact of watching it on FSN. I feel like that show was written for new fans to the sport.
RhythmAndStyle
9/22/08 12:19:05PM
one of the reason why i watch Pride more was because they had the GP..man i f*ckin miss watchin those...
mkiv9secsupra
9/22/08 5:02:26PM
It seemed like UFC and PRIDE FC unifying would have been the best thing ever at the time but now looking back I miss having two opposing organizations, 2 different sets of rules, and 2 unique environments. It was like Fire and Ice. 2 completely different organizations striving to become the best in the business and now the UFC is top of the food chain and know it. They can run their organization however they want and do things the fans dont necessarily wnat them to do, because now there is no one to steal the show from them.
higdon10
10/29/08 7:56:27PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

It seemed like UFC and PRIDE FC unifying would have been the best thing ever at the time but now looking back I miss having two opposing organizations, 2 different sets of rules, and 2 unique environments. It was like Fire and Ice. 2 completely different organizations striving to become the best in the business and now the UFC is top of the food chain and know it. They can run their organization however they want and do things the fans dont necessarily wnat them to do, because now there is no one to steal the show from them.

I couldnt agree more..
cmill21
10/29/08 8:08:26PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Awsome post, there is no one to challenge them and they can do whatever they want. Including crappy title matches
mentalcase
11/2/08 6:17:29PM
I always loved both equaly both have pros and cons but why do people always feel they need to take a side i love MMA so i like both pride and ufc they were like my children no need to favouratise

gsquat
11/3/08 12:06:40PM

Posted by mentalcase

I always loved both equaly both have pros and cons but why do people always feel they need to take a side i love MMA so i like both pride and ufc they were like my children no need to favouratise

Favouratise? What... are you George W. Bush?
mentalcase
11/3/08 3:25:15PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by mentalcase

Favouratise? What... are you George W. Bush?

what i cant spell, so what english wasnt my first language u know what i meant
mrsmiley
11/26/08 5:24:24PM
PRIDE will probably always be my favirote ORG.
The way they set everything up was amazing,and i still believe to this day they had the most exciting,and most significant fights for the sport of MMA.
soundboy1
11/27/08 11:07:54AM
I just hope that someone is able to start a decent organization that respects the fighters. Affliction is a good start but they need more weight classes.
djCre8iveStyles
12/13/08 3:36:16AM
I miss Pride.. UFC puts 1-3 good name fights per card.. then the rest they fill up with no namers that they only have to pay a few grand too... it really sucks!
warglory
12/17/08 6:20:51PM

Posted by djCre8iveStyles

I miss Pride.. UFC puts 1-3 good name fights per card.. then the rest they fill up with no namers that they only have to pay a few grand too... it really sucks!

I really don't see your logic, are you a new fan of mma? They usually have at least one title fight a card, and a televised undercard that almost always has at least one big bout. If you are a fan of the UFC then you'd recognize that they have more big names fighting at any one time than anywhere else.
BigEvil
12/18/08 3:38:35PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by djCre8iveStyles

I really don't see your logic, are you a new fan of mma? They usually have at least one title fight a card, and a televised undercard that almost always has at least one big bout. If you are a fan of the UFC then you'd recognize that they have more big names fighting at any one time than anywhere else.

Fo sho!
MMAui
4/9/10 3:30:43AM

Posted by BabbyHughes

I love both. There are things about Pride I dont like and things about the UFC I dont like.

Pros

Pride: Many very competitive matches, fighters I know of on every fight card just about, expensive fighter entrances , some very entertaining fighters (Fedor, Wandy, Shogun, the Nogs, Gomi, etc), 1st round is 10 min, strong HW and LHW divisions, and a very respectful audience.

UFC: Great announcers, awesome Gladiator style entrances (crowd surrounding the fighters cheering), the Octagon, energetic crowd, great promoting of matches and fighter information (interviews mostly), some competitive matches, good referees (except Yamasaki), strong WW and LHW division.

Cons

Pride: the female entrance announcer's voice scares me, the announcers need improvement, the ring, the referees seem biased, not enough title bouts, some really one sided match ups (Fedor vs. Zulu), past events weren't live for US television.

UFC: often too many no name fighters fighting instead of well known fighters on every card (there are enough great fighters under UFC contract, to have great matches every UFC), weak HW divison prior to Cro Cop, inapropriate booing from crowd happens often.

And that's about all that comes to mind, at this moment...

@your cons for the UFC. The part where it says that there are enough great/good fighters to fight EVERY card. I thought the same thing at one point, but I used wikipedia to search up a fight card that UFC had, and I read all the injury reports. There was so many fighters that were injured and had to sit out like two fight cards to heal / get in a fight it was unreal. So you have to consider the training they do and the injuries they get while training.

I'm a newbie in MMA, I train at TapouT. I don't have my technique down for my kicks yet, and I kicked somebody while sparring now I have this weird pain in my achilles tendant, I think it's called. This already has me missing a week of training. I'm saying this, to compare it to the injuries they might have, and the length it will prevent them from fighting.
PrideFCfan
5/31/10 6:23:10PM
I think its safe to say its obvious which org. I'm a fan off. However while I PREFER Pride to the UFC the blind fan boys make me mad. Pride is better cause of *Insert cliche about Pride* UFC blows cause *Random Ignorant comment*. While I prefer Pride I understand it is an opinion. I love going back and re watching the pride event and probably always will. I still will, and always have, watched the UFC since UFC 3. Why can't people realize its an objective thing.
Rush
6/3/10 12:36:15AM

Posted by PrideFCfan

Why can't people realize its an objective thing.

You mean subjective thing.
Aminal
10/15/10 1:03:18AM
I miss Pride. It wasn't just the soccer kicks, head stomps, crazy screaming lady, the awesome introductions, the epic staredowns, takase banging on the gong in a diaper, the BTT/Chute Box rivalry, the Yakuza or even the Grand Prixes.

It was what was MMA was always supposed to be and can be once more.
gartface
10/15/10 8:52:16AM
C'mon, you and me both know it was the crazy screaming lady.
DutchRebelP
12/30/10 7:39:23AM
you lost for even comparing ufc crap to PRIDE FC!!!
i rather watch some old PRIDE then new boring crap ufc crap
DARRYL_Ledonne
1/3/11 1:53:06AM
I'll say both.

Ufc is the most dominated...
But pride is good too.

PRIDE better organization
UFC has fighters.

Both Pride & UFC
They are good........!!!
mmaisthehit
4/20/11 12:19:24PM
PRIDE ruled and was much better, but it's gone now so comparing the two now is pointless in my opinion.
KungFuMaster
5/18/11 2:18:05AM
One of the best thing about Pride was they put on fights for the fans. It did not matter if one fighter has not earned it; all that matters was if the fans asked for it or if the fighters wanted to go at it.

The UFC and many other organizations should adopt Pride rules for judging a fight. There are many flaws in the 10 point must system which are evident in many ufc fights which have resulted in controversial outcomes.

Another thing is the issuing of yellow and red cards: This does not necessarily ensure a good fight, but what it does do is it will prompt the fighters to engage more and not just shadow box to earn a pay check.

Furthermore, I like the 10 minute first round which is a true test of a fighter's abilities. In a real fight, one does not have the luxury to take a time out or a breather in between exchanges. The 10 minute first round allows for better opportunity for a fight to be finished. There have been many times where fighters have been saved by the bell in which I do not like at all.

The only two things I dislike about Pride was the fact it was fought in a ring and the restart. The restarts tend to make fighters lose momentum.

Other than that, Pride was an awesome organization.
Kpro
10/30/11 5:15:10AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I like the 10 minute first round which is a true test of a fighter's abilities. In a real fight, one does not have the luxury to take a time out or a breather in between exchanges. The 10 minute first round allows for better opportunity for a fight to be finished. There have been many times where fighters have been saved by the bell in which I do not like at all.

Not that this will ever be responded to since no one looks in this thread but 10 minute first rounds with elbows allowed would give us so many cut stoppages. If the UFC adopted 10 minute firsts you'd see so many fighters just trying to slice the other open with elbows knowing their cutman can't work on it for another 8-9 minutes. That'd frustrate me a whole lot more than fighters getting saved by the bell at the 5 minute mark.
Pookie
11/3/11 2:54:30AM
Knees would then overtake elbows on the ground. And all would be perfect.
KungFuMaster
11/5/11 1:52:02AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by KungFuMaster

I like the 10 minute first round which is a true test of a fighter's abilities. In a real fight, one does not have the luxury to take a time out or a breather in between exchanges. The 10 minute first round allows for better opportunity for a fight to be finished. There have been many times where fighters have been saved by the bell in which I do not like at all.

Not that this will ever be responded to since no one looks in this thread but 10 minute first rounds with elbows allowed would give us so many cut stoppages. If the UFC adopted 10 minute firsts you'd see so many fighters just trying to slice the other open with elbows knowing their cutman can't work on it for another 8-9 minutes. That'd frustrate me a whole lot more than fighters getting saved by the bell at the 5 minute mark.

The referee is trained to look at the fighter's injury ( in this case, cut ) and when he deems it necessary to be checked by a doctor, he can call a halt to the match and have it looked at.

I don't think the issue of cuts will be a huge problem. It will happen but it can be dealt with - and I would also offer that the fight doctor be able to administer a quick treatment by applying some lotion or whatever it is they use.

Cuts are always going to happen in mma. Whether it happens in the first round of a 10 minute round or in the first round of a 5 minute round, the cut will become a potential factor for stoppage no matter how you see it. It only takes a little brushing of the injured tissue to cause the cut to open up and bleed again after the cut-man has worked on it.
Krazypoison
11/15/11 7:58:44AM

Posted by mmaisthehit

PRIDE ruled and was much better, but it's gone now so comparing the two now is pointless in my opinion.

TheBlackChip
12/29/11 1:07:16AM
I think it's officially OK to un-sticky this thread. Just sayin' NOGAS (No One Gives A ****)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]