OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » OFFICAL Pride vs UFC thread
« Previous Page | Next Page »
zephead
10/10/07 8:07:14PM

Posted by cmill21

haha, i'm not bashing anyone, I just wanted to show everyone that hey lots of UFC stars have gone there and done worse, don't write these pride guys off yet, and don't say their "weak" because thats just garbage.

I agree completely.
hathcock32
10/11/07 7:52:26PM
I meant weak as in some of them don't know how to train for a fight. Ive watched all the big fights iv'e seen all the PRIDE fights. I loved PRIDE. The fact is i think the competition top to bottom is way better in the UFC. I wish Pride was still around. The only thing i dont like about Pride is the people that think it was so much better than the UFC. I love MMA period CMILL. Im not bashing pride at all.
jocksmall
10/15/07 9:09:34PM
i think the ufc just did a better job marketing the events and presenting fighters as the best. some are some are not . but to me that is the main difference. many of you guys have pointed out the losses of pride guys but i still consider rampage and anderson pride guys. most of the newfound depth has been generated by pride guys.
Chudly
10/18/07 6:16:37PM
I hope they can ////
Riggeee
10/22/07 6:32:29PM
i think pride put better events on but they had money issues alot at the end and had to sell it to the ufc so ufc did better in the money aspect of it i still like the ufc
skatenate
11/26/07 10:39:51PM
UFC ROCKS!!!!
cmill21
11/26/07 10:45:07PM
Going through my Pride Collection, there is ussually at least 5 top 10 fighters on most of the cards. I also came up with an obvious reason, the UFC AC's to deal with, Pride didn't. Now I love pride, the stomps and ring made the ground game harder, but I think for the fighters the UFC is safer. Come on UFC do a couple shows under the ole pride banner that you spent 70 mil on and make some Yen.
TimW001
11/26/07 11:53:44PM
zephead
11/30/07 3:23:59PM

Posted by cmill21

Going through my Pride Collection, there is ussually at least 5 top 10 fighters on most of the cards. I also came up with an obvious reason, the UFC AC's to deal with, Pride didn't. Now I love pride, the stomps and ring made the ground game harder, but I think for the fighters the UFC is safer. Come on UFC do a couple shows under the ole pride banner that you spent 70 mil on and make some Yen.

But alot of those Top 5 fighters were fighting cans. Or the belt holder was fighting a non-title fight or it was Silva vs. Saku 4 or Fedor Big Nog 8 or Fedor vs. Zulu or Mirko vs. Dos etc. etc.
cmill21
11/30/07 3:57:03PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

But alot of those Top 5 fighters were fighting cans. Or the belt holder was fighting a non-title fight or it was Silva vs. Saku 4 or Fedor Big Nog 8 or Fedor vs. Zulu or Mirko vs. Dos etc. etc.

True, but you still get some of that in the UFC, thier "tune up" fights, and there reamatches get angering when they have all the guys waiting in line for their shots. If your the fan of a fighter though you don't really care who he's fighting it seems, people just love seeing there guy fight. I was just pointing out the benifit of having the AC's, since your fighter will be fighting as close to healthy as he can, and thats always nice, even if you don;t get to see him as much. Side note, I was watching the Rampage Chuck 1 with Dana commenting, and he sounds alot like I do when I'm trying to tell people who don't know about a fighter, how he normally fights lol. Dana's a huuuge fan, and it's funny because you don't get to see that side of him alot, but it's true he has his favorites like we all do and he loves to watch em. I don't even think Gary Bettman watches hockey
12/1/07 6:14:58PM
Both orgainizations have there own pro's and con's. Bussiness Wise, UFC is better set up for the long term and can market great to the general public. One of my Favortie Things about pride is that, generaly anyone who watches it's events knows alot about mma, and that the japense fans are so respectful and never boo, like alot of the fans at the UFC's events. You can't say witch one is better, but you like each one for it's own reasons.
NatedawgThaM
12/3/07 12:55:21AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by zephead

Posted by cmill21

True, but you still get some of that in the UFC, thier "tune up" fights, and there reamatches get angering when they have all the guys waiting in line for their shots. If your the fan of a fighter though you don't really care who he's fighting it seems, people just love seeing there guy fight. I was just pointing out the benifit of having the AC's, since your fighter will be fighting as close to healthy as he can, and thats always nice, even if you don;t get to see him as much. Side note, I was watching the Rampage Chuck 1 with Dana commenting, and he sounds alot like I do when I'm trying to tell people who don't know about a fighter, how he normally fights lol. Dana's a huuuge fan, and it's funny because you don't get to see that side of him alot, but it's true he has his favorites like we all do and he loves to watch em. I don't even think Gary Bettman watches hockey

In all honesty I couldn't stand Dana's commentating during that fight. I thought he was completely one sided bias. He sounded so disappointed the whle fight because his little fighter wasn't winning. The two other commentators were treating the fight like it should have been treated. An excellent brawl and a great fight. Dana sounded like I do when I wake up in the morning.

Just my opinion..
cmill21
12/3/07 2:33:36AM
Keep in mind he had $250,000 riding on that fight, and chuck was getting destroyed.
thisbeme
12/3/07 2:21:19PM
I've always hated this question...

I'm a fan of both... but u can't really choose which is better or who has the better fighters.... First off the rules are different, givin a certain type of fighter advantages and disadvantages depending on their style..(example: Rampage.. great fighter in PRIDE but never really dominant... his move to UFC, because of the rule changes he can now use his strength more... which is his ground and pound power....and he's a force there and same goes for the Forrest Griffin Shogun fight...Shogun is used to being able to stomp his opponents on the ground where as these tactics arenot allowed in the UFC making him to use other means.) second, one is a ring the other is a cage... huge difference when training and preparing for a fight... Fighters that fight in the UFC have a bigger advantage because they incorporate the use of the cage.... and vice versa...example: Cro Cop... in his fight with Gonzaga he never trained inside a cage and was never used to fighting in one.. a cage and ropes play huge factors in where as it's not easy to get away when ur caught in a cage gettin pounded on where as in the ropes u can escape....

So it all depends on which fighters are fighting and where they are to fight under which rules....
Webbie
12/20/07 3:23:46AM
First and foremost, I didn’t come in here to argue that either organization is better than the other.

I just want to go on record and say that I have no real favorite. I like the ring because it just makes the sport look professional, but I like the cage because there’s no falling between the ropes and no breaks in the action to move the fighters back to the center of the ring. I’ve always liked a lot of PRIDE fighters and a lot of UFC fighters as well. I do enjoy the crowd in Japan more than the crowd in America, but other than that, I really have no preference in which organization I’m watching. I just like watching two highly skilled fighters going to war. It’s all about the fights to me, not the orgs.
Kracker_Jap
1/2/08 9:48:35AM
People talk about Pride, like I remember the Chicago Bulls in the 90's

Which is perfectly fine and true for the most part if you are comparing Pride 5 years ago to the UFC 5 years ago

But I don't like living in the past.....

I have no idea how people how people can make a decent Pride argument about Pride vs UFC post tuf, Clearly the landscape changed after tuf nobdy can argue against that....

Pride will always be rembered but the UFC vs Pride doesn't matter because...

PRIDE IS DEAD
CornishMMA
1/2/08 11:36:31AM

They have removed the word PRIDE from this forum and should also UNSTICKY this thread

PRIDE IS DEAD BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LONG LIVE THE UFC!
DoTheMMAth
1/30/08 2:45:27PM
De-sticked for now due to it being 4 weeks since the last reply. If the Pride vs UFC topic starts popping up like wildfire again we'll just sticky it again
hippysmacker
2/3/08 4:13:52PM
UNFORTUANATELY pinned again. thanks to EliasG for starting another right after we de-pinned it again.
cmill21
2/3/08 4:38:16PM
We knew this would be pinned again....sadly.
EliasG
2/4/08 12:39:42AM
I've never posted at this forum so I didn't know you have constant arguments about this.

However I , thought I was posting the obvious---former Pride fighters are now the CHAMPIONS in the UFC. If Pride was still around and all their champs were UFC fighters that went across and won the Pride champ titles...the OBVIOUS would be the same...but it's not. The champs are former Pride contenders or champs. You can't argue facts you can only argue your opinion about who's better. But to be fair, all of them are NOW UFC FIGHTERS. So arguing about it is silly. If you read my post, you'll notice that I said it should "END" argument not start it. ;)
jocksmall
2/6/08 2:35:31PM
i havnt posted this tread for a while now but with the recent win of big nog i thought i would revisit. i started this tread saying that pride cards are better and in many cases so are the talent. now the hw champ, lhw champ and mw champ are all former pride guys. many pride guys didnt adjust to the cage or the rules or the scoring differences or the way the ref handles the match but i stand by my original statement and believe it has been proven true. i also believe that there are more than a few lw fighters who if signed woulf fare well in the ufc. dana is crazy when he says pride guys came and they lost and fedor isnt a real fighter and bashes cro-cop. DANA THE UFC IS ONE LEAGUE ITS NOT THE ONLY MMA
Pookie
2/6/08 6:01:34PM

Posted by jocksmall

i havnt posted this tread for a while now but with the recent win of big nog i thought i would revisit. i started this tread saying that pride cards are better and in many cases so are the talent. now the hw champ, lhw champ and mw champ are all former pride guys. many pride guys didnt adjust to the cage or the rules or the scoring differences or the way the ref handles the match but i stand by my original statement and believe it has been proven true. i also believe that there are more than a few lw fighters who if signed woulf fare well in the ufc. dana is crazy when he says pride guys came and they lost and fedor isnt a real fighter and bashes cro-cop. DANA THE UFC IS ONE LEAGUE ITS NOT THE ONLY MMA

WAR PRIDE!!!!!

chubbud22
2/8/08 5:38:40PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

People talk about Pride, like I remember the Chicago Bulls in the 90's

Which is perfectly fine and true for the most part if you are comparing Pride 5 years ago to the UFC 5 years ago

But I don't like living in the past.....

I have no idea how people how people can make a decent Pride argument about Pride vs UFC post tuf, Clearly the landscape changed after tuf nobdy can argue against that....

Pride will always be rembered but the UFC vs Pride doesn't matter because...

PRIDE IS DEAD

Coulnt have said better myself
hodge
2/24/08 3:56:31PM
Ive always been a UFC fan purely because i couldnt get pride events on ppv. But i really like the tournaments that pride used to have and wish that the ufc could bring some in. The pride fans are alot more respectful aswell and never seem to boo or jeer at the fighters.

Im also upset that the UFC could not sign fedor i really wanna see that fight.
MMA
3/15/08 5:55:48PM
Well, PRIDE is reborn as DREAM so this thread doesn't need to be pinned anymore.
joshjr
3/18/08 5:13:02AM
One thing is that Pride always had more fights. I liked that alot and they usuall had more then 2 fights I wanted to see. I can say that one thing I did not like about Pride was that they would have a bunch of foreign fighters that had not good records in PPV's time and time again. That being said Pride almost always had a really good card.
hippysmacker
3/18/08 5:19:01AM
Unfortunately this will have to be pinned again, as it never goes away.
CornishMMA
3/18/08 8:54:20AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Unfortunately this will have to be pinned again, as it never goes away.

that doesnt mean it has to be pinned tho does it? like, people arent actually going to make a new thread on ufc vs pride are they?

This thread has had and could have weeks or months go by without a post in it
hippysmacker
3/18/08 9:28:48AM
It has been unpinned 4 times now. Every time it does someone tries to make a new one. I will leave it here till the end of time, if it will stop these arguments from spilling out on the forums.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9