UFC Offers Hector Lombard A Contract, Bellator May Counter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Offers Hector Lombard A Contract, Bellator May Counter
Budgellism
4/18/12 4:14:42PM
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has told Sherdog that his Middleweight champion Hector Lombard (31-2-1, 1 NC) has been offered a contract by the UFC. Rebney has the option to match the contract and will make that decision next week.

"We've received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector's attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we're going to match the agreement. We've got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector's counsel. We've been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at," Rebney told Sherdog.

As part of his Bellator contract, Lombard had to wait a couple of months after his current contract expired before he could talk to competing promotions. Now he is in a period where Bellator has the option of matching any contract offer he receives.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
4/18/12 4:38:48PM
I didn't think UFC was going to offer him a contract this time around.

Maybe they want to sign him or sign him to hurt Bellator.

Don't really see much success for him against UFC guys.

And for Hector, does he want to step in competition or be title holder and keep crushing cans/mid-level competition.
prozacnation1978
4/18/12 5:27:28PM
Bellator should let him go. There is no one to give a challenge besides maybe falcao
prophecy033
4/18/12 5:33:10PM
SAWEET!!!!! If this does in fact happen, put him against Belfort after Vitor knocks out Wanderlilly
Chael_Sonnen
4/18/12 5:44:48PM
Hector pales in comparison to the original Cuban Alpha-Dog
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
FastKnockout
4/18/12 6:11:52PM
Hector already made a statement about wanting to fight the best in the UFC. Doubt Bellator could match the offer.
tcunningham
4/18/12 6:26:11PM
hopefully he doesnt just take the money into consideration and goes with the fight potential. the ufc is where he needs to test himself. i dont see a ufc title in his future, but a move to the ufc is definitely the logical move.
Kpro
4/18/12 6:57:52PM
Bloody Elbow got the wording wrong, they meant "match" not "counter". It's like a Restricted Free Agent in a sport. Hector signed a contract with the UFC and if Bellator agrees to pay what the contract states, he stays in Bellator even if he wants to be in the UFC. It's out of Lombard's hands now.
prophecy033
4/18/12 7:35:55PM

Posted by Kpro

Bloody Elbow got the wording wrong, they meant "match" not "counter". It's like a Restricted Free Agent in a sport. Hector signed a contract with the UFC and if Bellator agrees to pay what the contract states, he stays in Bellator even if he wants to be in the UFC. It's out of Lombard's hands now.

when did that get implemented? Is only in specific fighters deals?
Kpro
4/18/12 7:48:35PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Kpro

All Bellator contracts per a few articles from last week talking about Eddie Alvarez & Hector Lombard's upcoming free agency. I double-checked around and it wasn't because they were champions, they were just the examples because of their name value, so it's standard issue in Bellator contracts. None of the articles stated if there was a time that it expired (like say 6 months or a year), so I'm not sure how long they have the restricted rights to all of their fighters after the end of a contract. And the right to match comes after a couple month long exclusive negotiating period. Bellator did a good job planning ahead with their contracts years ago.
DrivenDavies15
4/18/12 8:19:05PM
Hopefully the UFC gets him, lots of fun fights for him there
Twenty20Dollars
4/18/12 8:41:51PM
I wonder if he move to spiketv will help with him staying, in terms of them maybe making more money by being on that channel.
BuffaloDave
4/18/12 9:39:39PM

Posted by Kpro

What's this you say, Bloody Elbow got something mixed up??? Just like last week when they posted Fedor was fighting April 21st, when he's not fighting until June. How people still use them for reliable news source is beyond me.
jay98107
4/18/12 10:29:29PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Kpro

All Bellator contracts per a few articles from last week talking about Eddie Alvarez & Hector Lombard's upcoming free agency. I double-checked around and it wasn't because they were champions, they were just the examples because of their name value, so it's standard issue in Bellator contracts. None of the articles stated if there was a time that it expired (like say 6 months or a year), so I'm not sure how long they have the restricted rights to all of their fighters after the end of a contract. And the right to match comes after a couple month long exclusive negotiating period. Bellator did a good job planning ahead with their contracts years ago.

A good move for any non-UFC organization looking to survive IMO. If you're going to spend the time to build up prospects and champions, might as well put some things in place to help you keep them around when the time comes for contract negotiations.
jay98107
4/19/12 12:08:37PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I wonder if he move to spiketv will help with him staying, in terms of them maybe making more money by being on that channel.

Eh, I would stay away from Spike. It was solid when they had the UFC, but I don't think these days they could help Bellator very much. What's the lead-in for their late night programming, a nine-year old re-run of NCIS? I'd rather hear the death rattle of my only child then see what kind of programming Spike is pumping right now.