Odds makers have gone crazy Shogun 2-1 underdog vs Jones

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Odds makers have gone crazy Shogun 2-1 underdog vs Jones
POLL: Shogun or Jones?
The odds makers are carzy Shogun will beat this guy. 47% (17)
Its time for Jones to Shine. 53% (19)
UFC_Fanatic313
2/21/11 9:09:05AM
I mean in my opinion shogun will KO this guy but what do I know right? I know enough to know that pretty much the only advantage jones has over Rua is that f**king reach and for those of you who say jones will take shogun down, shogun works a lot of his back. Plus jones has never been in a 5 round fight, remember when carwin fought lesnar, carwin had never been out of the first round and in the 2nd he was completely gassed. i admit jones is really well-rounded fighter but come on its shogun he is by far the most dangerous fighter Jones has fought.So what do you guys think i really like hearing opinions.
Styles
2/21/11 9:45:37AM
Jones has the perfect style to give Rua fits. IMO, odds aren't off.
postman
2/21/11 10:45:46AM
I'm pretty sure Carwins cardio issues are not anything close to what Jon Jones will show us. I agree that the odds are amking me scratch my head but alot of that has to do with the publics picks and not who will win the fight.
UFC_Fanatic313
2/21/11 12:08:50PM

Posted by postman

I'm pretty sure Carwins cardio issues are not anything close to what Jon Jones will show us. I agree that the odds are amking me scratch my head but alot of that has to do with the publics picks and not who will win the fight.

yea i dont know what i was thinking when i mentioned the cardio lol. but there not giving enough credit to shogun right? idk maybe its just because i like him idk we will see who wins when they fight.
TeamDEY
2/21/11 12:33:48PM
I think Shogun will win but if Jones can get him to the ground (which he can) and keep him there it may turn out different. Either way I can't wait for this fight.
Taylor8766
2/21/11 12:53:50PM
I completely agree the odds makers have gone crazy if anything it should be a 2-1 favouring Shogun. Fact is Jones has been in there with great lhw but imo he hasnt been in there with the real beast of the 205lbs division, as well having never fought for a title and the fact that Shogun is with out a doubt the toughest fighter he will fight against.
tmas
2/21/11 2:29:43PM
there are a lot of guys who have never fought for a title and ...win the title....

Jones wins this i love both guys but Jones is easily gonna take this fight.....and he has been to decisions with no cardio problems, plus just to set the record straight Carwins issues were not cardio. He had an energy dump and his legs were unmoveable, i also saw something about a legit health issue that was linked to his so called lack of cardio....

Jones wins, wins easy wins big,........but he should be the underdog for he is untested and facing one of the best champs ever imo.
the_01
2/21/11 2:44:55PM
Jones is the man at the moment. The only person I think that can beat him is probably Anderson Silva or GSP. The guy is incredebly talented and good at what he does. So, get ready for a new champ, and one that will last a long time.
1daveufc
2/21/11 3:38:22PM
GSP?
BlueSkiesBurn
2/21/11 3:53:03PM
I don't think the oddsmakers have gone "carzy"

This is how betting works, they open the line for what will make them the most money. The Green Bay Packers, despite being a 6 seed, were favorites over the 2 seed Steelers.

Despite the fact that this Steelers team has won two Super Bowls in 6 years and is one of the most complete teams in the NFL, the Packers, who only had 2 players with any Super Bowl experience and the most imbalanced offense in the NFL, were the favorites

Jones has the tools to beat Shogun. He could, very easily, win this fight. He's as complete of a fighter as Cain Velasquez and Velasquez won the HW title with less experience. I'm sure that, as the fight draws closer, the line will close if not swing. But this is how Vegas operates. Nothing to be alarmed about.
sbulldavid
2/21/11 6:11:58PM
I think It will be about 55-45 Jones come fight time, and I'll pick Shogun because that's what I do, but Jones is going to be a difficult problem to solve for anybody coming off of a knee surgery.
Franklinfan47
2/21/11 8:46:23PM

Posted by the_01

Jones is the man at the moment. The only person I think that can beat him is probably Anderson Silva or GSP. The guy is incredebly talented and good at what he does. So, get ready for a new champ, and one that will last a long time.

Its funny, I remember saying the same thing about Lyoto Machida a little over a year ago.

Also, I think Jones will take this, but 2-1 odds is a little crazy.
soundboy1
2/22/11 1:38:46AM
I'm a huge shogun fan. Too bad they don't allow soccer kicks he would win for sure. Jones will win this fight though. He's too athletic for Rua. If Shogun can batter his legs a bit he would have a better chance. but if I'm betting i'm betting on Jones.
That guy will be hard to stop.
Pride rules though? Shogun wins every time.
TS92turbo
2/22/11 2:55:01PM
IMO, Rua is my favorite fighter, but he isnt my favorite in this fight. I wish Rua would have a few more defenses before this bout, but that isnt up to me. Jones is a monster. Cannot be contained. Jones is technically undefeated. The one loss he has is by DQ. I would like to see Jones win, but Rua is a dominant striker. Jones' jaw hasn't been put to the test. I think Rua if he wins, it will be by KO in RD3 or by Submission RD4. Jones will most likely KO Rua RD1 or RD2. Or if Rua can go the distance, Jones by Unanimous. Cant wait
TS92turbo
2/22/11 2:57:54PM

Posted by soundboy1

I'm a huge shogun fan. Too bad they don't allow soccer kicks he would win for sure. Jones will win this fight though. He's too athletic for Rua. If Shogun can batter his legs a bit he would have a better chance. but if I'm betting i'm betting on Jones.
That guy will be hard to stop.
Pride rules though? Shogun wins every time.

Hell yeah. Pride was vicious. Shogun would like jump 6 feet in the air and land his heel on a guys face! Jones has the cardio of a Kenyan Track Runner. Plus this is Rua's first title defense, and his first fight in about a year. Rua is really coming off a big leg injury too. Its gonna be a good fight though. My money is on Jon "Bones" Jones.
Pookie
2/22/11 3:03:36PM
If you feel the oddsmakers have gone crazy, bet real money on shogun. You'll never catch him as this big of an underdog again.
jjeans
2/22/11 3:04:32PM

Posted by TS92turbo

Jones' jaw hasn't been put to the test

Did you watch the same fight starring Ryan Bader as me? Darth caught him clean with a solid right hand, and he didn't even flinch
TS92turbo
2/22/11 4:00:43PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by TS92turbo

Did you watch the same fight starring Ryan Bader as me? Darth caught him clean with a solid right hand, and he didn't even flinch

He just doesnt get rocked or wailed on alot.
Pookie
2/23/11 2:53:11AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by TS92turbo

I dont think Bader is a solid litmus test in terms of striking ability.
DatBme
2/23/11 8:18:33PM
The same reason why Jon Jones is the favorite in this fight is the same reasoning why Lebron James deserved much of the hype he received before he even played a minute in the NBA. Lebron didn't have to actually play against any NBA players for people to believe that he could school them. People often put too much weight on resumes. Jon Jones shows that he has an intimate knowledge on the MMA game just like a veteran whould, it is demonstrated by the way he parlays his physical talents into performing moves and transitions never seen before.

Jon Jones is well deserving of all the hype that he is receiving. Shogun is coming off a big win against Lyoto, and I predicted him winning both fights against Lyoto, but Lyoto's style just needed to get solved more than anything. Rampage also proved that. Shogun has never fought someone like Jon Jones. I am a fan of Shogun, but I can't help but be objectionable and say that Jon Jones is the real deal. I became GSP's fan way back when he wore the white knee pads because I seen the physical talent he possessed. I became a bigger fan when I learned how much class and humility he showed in his interviews. I believe Jon Jones has the same qualities that made GSP such a prospect in my mind. Jon Jones will be on top for a long time.