After odd win over Cote, Anderson Silva has something to prove at UFC 97

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » After odd win over Cote, Anderson Silva has something to prove at UFC 97
Wolfenstein
4/15/09 3:08:18PM
"I wasn't very happy with the way that the fight ended," said Silva, who said he felt a kick he delivered in the second round is what wound up injuring Cote. "I felt that my performance was good in the fight. I felt that I showed – I executed everything that we did in training. But unfortunately, when he got that kick in the second round and in the third round his knee popped, the fight didn't necessarily end the way the world and myself would have expected.

link
McBee
4/15/09 4:02:46PM
anderson has nothing to prove! he could retire today and he would be a legend, period
wapttn
4/15/09 5:10:04PM
Anderson has proven to be the deadliest striker in mma, but I still feel that he hasn't proven to be the p4p god and everyone has made him out to be. He was taken down, mounted and almost subbed by lutter, taken down and grinded on by marquardt and dominated in the first round by henderson. His most impressive wins have come against people who insist on standing with him, and the rest of his wins have been him taking advantage of his opponent's carelessness. I believe that henderson, marquardt and okami have a shot at taking silva's title via strategic ground and pound as long as they fight smart rather than into silva's strengths.

As for the article, didn't cote say that it was a recurring knee injury? I didn't see any leg kicks that seemed to affect cote during the fight, and it was a slip on the bud light decal that seemed to tweak and then blow the knee out both times.

With all that said, silva is a ufc legend, is a great ambassador to the sport and I do look forward to seeing how he'll fair against Leites if Leites avoids the stand up
McBee
4/15/09 5:16:09PM

Posted by wapttn

Anderson has proven to be the deadliest striker in mma, but I still feel that he hasn't proven to be the p4p god and everyone has made him out to be. He was taken down, mounted and almost subbed by lutter, taken down and grinded on by marquardt and dominated in the first round by henderson. His most impressive wins have come against people who insist on standing with him, and the rest of his wins have been him taking advantage of his opponent's carelessness. I believe that henderson, marquardt and okami have a shot at taking silva's title via strategic ground and pound as long as they fight smart rather than into silva's strengths.

As for the article, didn't cote say that it was a recurring knee injury? I didn't see any leg kicks that seemed to affect cote during the fight, and it was a slip on the bud light decal that seemed to tweak and then blow the knee out both times.

With all that said, silva is a ufc legend, is a great ambassador to the sport and I do look forward to seeing how he'll fair against Leites if Leites avoids the stand up

just because someone has momentary success against him does not stain his name, he has always finished those people and done it violently, Lutter may have looked close but after seeing what he can get out of and the knowledge that he is not a slouch on the ground shows that it was not as close as it looks. Fedor has gone the distance with multiple fighters while Anderson has been finishing everyone of his fights and submitting Hendo when he had not been submitted. I do not think he is above Fedor but I think they are neck and neck because of fedor's relative inactivity
wapttn
4/15/09 7:46:14PM

Posted by McBee
just because someone has momentary success against him does not stain his name, he has always finished those people and done it violently, Lutter may have looked close but after seeing what he can get out of and the knowledge that he is not a slouch on the ground shows that it was not as close as it looks. Fedor has gone the distance with multiple fighters while Anderson has been finishing everyone of his fights and submitting Hendo when he had not been submitted. I do not think he is above Fedor but I think they are neck and neck because of fedor's relative inactivity

We're not talking momentary success, we're talking momentary dominance, lost rounds, and near finishes.

Fedor has gone the distance with multiple fighters, but these fighters have been the elite of the elite... and fedor has NEVER been beaten... the guy hasn't even lost a round in all 29 fights.

Anderson hasn't finished all of his fights, he's finished all of his fights in the ufc.. he has 5 decision wins, which is only 2 fewer decision wins than fedor.

Henderson has been submitted, once by each nogueria brother... the guys who trained silva.

Fedor's relative inactivity? The doode just walked through two former ufc champions in a combined 3:50 in the last year with another top10 slated for the summer.

Get ur facts right.
prozacnation1978
4/15/09 10:54:59PM
he has nothing to prove but for him i quick and fAst ko is the way to go
i think silva will go after him and knock leites out within 3 min
but more than that i wanna see the ice man get a ko after 2 plus years and do his trade mark celebration in the cage
Dragoslav
4/17/09 7:58:09AM

Posted by wapttn

People seem to be forgetting that Anderson was still rehabbing from double knee surgery when he fought Lutter. His knees were hurting so badly that he had to be helped from the ring, and he still finished Lutter. I wouldn't exactly say he was grounded on by Marquardt. He was taken down yes but Nate is a great wrestler and Anderson quickly reversed the situation taking no damage in the process. Yes, he lost a round to Henderson but let's look at that too. Henderson is an olympic caliber wrestler. He took Anderson down and was able to hold him down an entire round but he really did no damage. At the end of the day Anderson finished both fighters convincingly and either Nate or Dan could fight at LHW.