Number of viewers for UFC 100 on spike

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Number of viewers for UFC 100 on spike
slapshot
8/16/09 11:53:09PM
Dose anyone have the number of viewers for UFC 100 and the strikeforce events?

Im just curious as to how strikeforce faired against it. There is some noise about how ineffective its been in the past when the UFC tries to counter live events with taped ones.
emfleek
8/17/09 8:47:04AM
UFC 100 blew it out of the water. I guarantee it.

1.) Spike is NOT a premium channel (for most cable companies). It's usually free.
2.) Showtime *is* a Premium channel.

In other words...free is better than paying. Especially in today's economy.
hippysmacker
8/17/09 9:59:02PM

Posted by slapshot

Dose anyone have the number of viewers for UFC 100 and the strikeforce events?

Im just curious as to how strikeforce faired against it. There is some noise about how ineffective its been in the past when the UFC tries to counter live events with taped ones.

I have to add that they were effective the last few times as well. The hastily put together UFC fight night ,where Anderson KOed Irvin, went head to head against the Affliction where Fedor dropped Tim Sylvia. The affliction card was far far more stacked IMO, and the UFC still drew an avg of 3.1 million viewers with a peek of 4.46 million. Affliction claimed they made over a 100,00 ppv buys. We usually get 8-12 people over to watch UFC ppv's. A lot less people come over( 4-6) for fight night becuase you can watch it at home.We only had 4 for affliction, and they were all diehards. The buffalo wild wings where we occasionally go to watch UFC PPV's requires a reservation ,and the manager told me they usually get sold out quick despite the $5 cover charge. When we went to the 2nd affliction at BWW there were less than a 100 people,no charge, no reservation required, and about half weren't there for the ppv according to the same manager. Now I am of the belief that for every PPV buy , when you factor in sports bars, groups of peole etc- actually count for about 10 people. I have no proof though. A million peeps for affliction was not to shabby, and they were the first non UFC MMA PPV in America to make 100,000. To bad they couldn't keep their salary's under control, and Barnett couldn't stay clean, or they might have actually had something in time.
ncordless
8/17/09 10:22:18PM
The UFC has not counter-progammed against Strikeforce yet, so there are really no numbers like the ones you are asking for.

Also it is hard to compare ppv buys vs. watchers on a premium channel, or a premium channel vs. a regular cable channel, or a cable channel vs. network TV, or any other combination of those. What does 500,000 ppv buys mean in comparison to 2 million people subscribed to a premium channel or neilson rating share of 10?

As far as the effectiveness of UFC counter-programming in general... I think the results have been mixed. They certainly did well in the Anderson Silva fight night, but it is hard to estimate how many buys they took away from Affliction. Less effective was the replay they showed while Elite XC was on network TV.

My guess is that if the UFC is willing to schedule live events to counter-program it can be effective. But that replays are not as effective, especially if the other live mma programming is readily available and easily accessible.
hippysmacker
8/17/09 10:52:33PM
I'm of the opinion that as long as the UFC isn't trying to counter program against a CBS aired show it will keep helping them. Barring them signing a broadcast network deal themselves opinion. I think the might lose a 50-100 ppv buys if they ran a ppv against a CBS aired card. If they ran a live spike event, I think they would till lose some viewers, but with Tivo not that many.
slapshot
8/17/09 11:32:27PM

Posted by ncordless

The UFC has not counter-progammed against Strikeforce yet, so there are really no numbers like the ones you are asking for.

Also it is hard to compare ppv buys vs. watchers on a premium channel, or a premium channel vs. a regular cable channel, or a cable channel vs. network TV, or any other combination of those. What does 500,000 ppv buys mean in comparison to 2 million people subscribed to a premium channel or neilson rating share of 10?

They counter programed strikeforce in the last event with the UFC 100 so I guess I dont understand.

As far as the reading between the lines goes Im not too worried about that but you can absolutely brake down how many homes are tuned into showtime and how many were tuned in to spike and thats the stat that Im looking for. I know its out there just have yet to see it.
ncordless
8/18/09 12:03:50AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by ncordless

They counter programed strikeforce in the last event with the UFC 100 so I guess I dont understand.

As far as the reading between the lines goes Im not too worried about that but you can absolutely brake down how many homes are tuned into showtime and how many were tuned in to spike and thats the stat that Im looking for. I know its out there just have yet to see it.

You are right about the recent Strikeforce event... not sure how that slipped my mind.
But again the numbers you are looking for are really meaningless. To compare viewership on showtime vs. viewership on spike will just lead to a skewed number that doesn't relate to the relative "success" of either party.

Here is a list from mmaweekly of the top 20 fights published last Oct. with the highest viewership. Because EXC was on CBS it makes it look like EXC is much more successful than UFC. That is not the case, it is just that they are on two different platforms. The same goes with comparing Spike to Showtime.

Here is the list:
MOST-WATCHED INDIVIDUAL FIGHTS IN U.S. MMA HISTORY
Based on Average Number of Viewers using Minute-by-Minute Ratings

1. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson--- 7.281 million viewers (Aired from 11:27 PM to 11:40 PM)

2. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock--- 6.524 million viewers (Aired from 9:42 PM to 9:45 PM)

3. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Seth Petruzelli vs. Kimbo Slice--- 6.451 million viewers (Aired from 11:08 PM to 11:08 PM)

4. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith--- 5.867 million viewers (Aired from 10.39 PM to 10:57 PM)

5. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Quinton Jackson vs. Dan Henderson--- 5.811 million viewers (Aired from 11:29 PM to 12:03 AM)

6. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young--- 5.508 million viewers (Aired from 10:09 PM to 10:17 PM)

7. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill--- 5.475 million viewers (Aired from 10:41 PM to 11:06 PM)

8. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley--- 5.338 million viewers (Aired from 10:34 PM to 10:44 PM)

9. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobold--- 5.171 million viewers (Aired from 9:45 PM to 9:59 PM)

10. EliteXC on CBS (10/4/08): Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy Nelson--- 5.154 million viewers (Aired from 10:12 PM to 10:20 PM)

11. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Kendall Grove vs. Chris Price--- 5.100 million viewers (Aired from 9:13 PM to 9:17 PM)

12. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Cheick Kongo vs. Mirko Cro Cop Filipovic--- 5.098 million viewers (Aired from 9:58 PM to 10:24 PM)

13. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor--- 5.023 million viewers (Aired from 9:35 PM to 9:39 PM)

14. UFC on Spike TV (7/19/2008): Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin--- 4.795 million viewers (Aired from 11:38 PM to 11:38 PM)

15. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Joey Villasenor vs. Phil Baroni--- 4.348 million viewers (Aired from 9:47 PM to 9:48 PM)

16. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Jason MacDonald vs. Ed Herman--- 4.297 millon viewers (Aired from 8:44 PM to 8:47 PM)

17. UFC on Spike TV (9/8/2007): Houston Alexander vs. Alessio Sakara--- 4.204 million viewers (Aired from 9:13 PM to 9:14 PM)

18. UFC on Spike TV (10/10/2006): Matt Hamill vs. Seth Petruzelli--- 4.007 million viewers (Aired from 8:09 PM to 8:28 PM)

19. UFC on Spike TV (7/19/2008): Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy--- 3.847 million viewers (Aired from 10:58 PM to 11:19 PM)

20. EliteXC on CBS (5/31/2008): Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy--- 3.824 million viewers (Aired from 9:26 PM to 9:27 PM)
juggernautakira
8/18/09 12:09:18AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by ncordless

I think its out there too. I mean, why not?

I, for one, get free showtime so I watched the events. I got 6 fights right and 3 fights wrong. And I chose them with heresay, but in most of the fights I knew of one fighter and not the other. That being said, I wouldve not liked the card as much without the betting system here.
DCRage
8/18/09 1:25:24PM
The numbers are out:
UFC 100 Replay: 2 million viewers according to Spike
Streikeforce: 576,000 viewers on Showtime. Peak was main event with 856,000
Keep in mind Spike's in 98 million homes, Showtime is only in 21 million.
slapshot
8/18/09 11:40:56PM

Posted by DCRage
Peak was main event with 856,000
Keep in mind Spike's in 98 million homes, Showtime is only in 21 million.

The showtime peak numbers are actually better than I had expected.