Number 1 HW???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Number 1 HW???
Next Page »
POLL: Whos #1 when Fedors not in the pic?
Brock Lesnar 64% (27)
Dos Santos 17% (7)
Barnett 7% (3)
Rogers 2% (1)
Allistair 5% (2)
Cain Velasquez 5% (2)
codyq
2/16/10 2:22:28AM
Honorable mention:

Carwin
Lashley

I voted Dos Santos. When you are a HW that can BOX ......that's devastating. OH its not bad that he is a brown belt in BJJ either.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2 Photo Attachment 3 Photo Attachment 4 Photo Attachment 5
codyq
2/16/10 2:26:19AM
Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but the guys 25 years of age and is just blowin through everyone, its kinda hard to put lesnar at #1 due to his absence and the fact that when he gets to defend his title he will not have fought in over a year. SAME thing for Barnett. Hopefully this guy can settle his differences so we can see him back in action.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
NatedawgThaM
2/16/10 2:39:58AM
I gotta say Lesnar. It's very rare you see a big guy with guerrilla strength with such speed, his takedown's are almost unstoppable like GSP's IMO. Not to mention his GNP is fast & furious. I just think he takes Dos Santos down and neutralizes his BJJ like he did to Mir and pounds him out same way too.

Dos Santos is beastly though, was pissed when he beat up Yvel but he definitely is the future though.
Jimbo
2/16/10 2:40:58AM
no mention of Nog? .........nice.........
codyq
2/16/10 2:57:33AM
If you look at everything, its tough to decide.

Brock is 4-1 at the age of 32, is the "on hold" UFC champ. Avenged his only loss

Notable wins Couture (18-10)
Mir (13-4)
Herring (32-10)

Dos Santos is 10-1 with a win over his ONLY loss as well, he is 25 years of age (Undefeated in the UFC)

Wins:

Cro-Cop (25-7)
Werdum (13-4)
Gilbert Yvel (36-14)
Stefan Struve (19-3)

Brett Rogers is 28, 10-1, ONLY loss was to Fedor.
Wins:

Arlovski (15-7)
Abongo Humphrey (5-1)

Cain Velasquez is 27 and 7-0
Wins:

Kongo (14-6)
Ben Rothwell (30-7)
Jake Obrien (11-3)

Allistair Overeem is 29 and has a 32-11 record
Wins:

Vitor Belfort (19-8)
Sergei Kharitonov (16-4)
Fujita (15-9)

Josh Barnett is 32 years old and has a 24-5 record
Wins:

Pedro Rizzo (17-9)
Noguiera (32-5)
Aleksander Emelianenko (15-3)
Randy Couture (18-10)
Jeff Monson (32-9)
Dan Severn (91-16)
Gilbert Yvel (36-14)

Every fighter on this list is STILL in their twenties except Barnett who is STILL younger than BROCK, BROCK is the oldest one on this list with a 4-1 record.
slapshot
2/16/10 5:08:52AM
Barnett? Who's Barnett.....

oh he's that dude that got caught juicing for the 4th time and was BANNED from all MMA in the united states and is never again going to be licenced to fight, much less anyone at the top of the list of heavyweits, that Barnett?

Barnet = non-factor.

That said its Allistair till brock makes a few more title defenses, he's the only other guy with all the right pieces atm.

Lesnar, Rogers Carwin and Velasquez need a few more fights to distinguish themselves from the pack and at least one more big win over a top 5 challenger.

Dos Santos needs even more wins over top ten guys than the others.

The bigger issue is for any of these guys to make a lasting impression they would need to fight one of the other guys on the list and IMO the most creditable match ups to judge who's the best cant be made because the fighters are in different organisations.

P.S. had Noguiera been on this list I would have picked him.
SpiderSilva
2/16/10 12:27:15PM
if Big Nog was on the list I would have voted for him after what he did to Couture he is back

But sense Lesnar IS the Champ
State_Champ
2/16/10 2:15:51PM

Posted by codyq

Honorable mention:

Carwin
Lashley

I voted Dos Santos. When you are a HW that can BOX ......that's devastating. OH its not bad that he is a brown belt in BJJ either.

Sounds like you're talking about Arlovski......
cmill21
2/16/10 2:24:54PM
Big nog...convo over. Big nog is the second best HW there has ever been. Alistair is not and should not be in the disucssion, it's become painfully clear what he's up to. Barnett should not be in this anymore either, he's been caught juicing to many times. I guess I'll give it to Brock on this list.
emfleek
2/16/10 2:25:55PM

Posted by codyq

Honorable mention:

Lashley

You've got to be kidding.
sbulldavid
2/16/10 3:13:09PM
Santos is going to be number 1 soon enough. As for Carwin...I don't understand why everybody is buying the Dana White Hype.
marcoDGK
2/16/10 3:42:00PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by codyq

Honorable mention:

Lashley

You've got to be kidding.

I was going to post that but you beat me to it.
Pookie
2/16/10 5:00:35PM
Nog
codyq
2/16/10 5:21:51PM

Posted by codyq Honorable mention: Lashley You've got to be kidding.

And Lesnars #1????

They are the same fighter, except lashley has THOSE "AFRICAN AMERICAN" Genes LOL

Sounds like you're talking about Arlovski......

Even if I was.....would that be a bad thing?? The only thing is, Dos Santos is pretty much undefeated. That's why I put him up there as #1 aside from Fedor. So this Forum is pretty much WHO'S # 2.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
CwB
2/16/10 5:23:02PM

Posted by cmill21

...Alistair is not and should not be in the disucssion, it's become painfully clear what he's up to. Barnett should not be in this anymore either, he's been caught juicing to many times. I guess I'll give it to Brock on this list.

Bingo!!!

Alistair - No - Not because of the possible "Juice" but based on the fact he hasnt fought a top Ten fighter in MMA , in any weight class, since fighting in Pride

Barnett - No - Roids

Dos Santos, Rodgers, and Carwin - Maybe -They can knock anyone in the world out cold, but to many questions still about there ground game

Cain - Maybe - For the exact opposite reason as above. He didnt fair very well when striking with Kongo.

Mir and Nog - Probably - Great striking mixed with Great ground skills (I cant wait for this rematch - Mir has improved both physically and skill wise and Nog has seemed to return to his Top Form, Nuff said.

Brock - maybe - Brock said, Mir had him "seeing stars" during the second fight. So how will he hold up against a HW striker with a Good TD-Defense. Can he stop Nog from finding the Sub.

Everyone on this list is Capable of both losing and winning to everyone else on this list. So its a tough call. So many questions in the HW div. and the answer to all of them is Fedor but without him who the Hell Knows.

I think it comes down to Brock, Nog, or Mir

I like Carwin though...
TimW001
2/16/10 5:39:30PM
When Fedor is off who is the #1 HW?

Fedor.

Fedor is #1, whether he exists or now.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/16/10 5:48:43PM

Posted by codyq
The only thing is, Dos Santos is pretty much undefeated.

My vote would go to nog , but since hes not on the poll , i will take brock because hes also pretty much undefeated .

emfleek
2/16/10 6:12:35PM

Posted by codyq

Posted by codyq Honorable mention: Lashley You've got to be kidding.

And Lesnars #1????

They are the same fighter, except lashley has THOSE "AFRICAN AMERICAN" Genes LOL

1 - I never said anything about Lesnar. However, the argument for him to be #1 blows away ANY argument you can make for Lashley. Your comment is laughable.

2 - Bringing race into the discussion in the manner you're doing it could lead to you getting banned without warning. Tone it down, please.*

* EDIT - My apologies. It was pointed out to me that the comment was made in reference to a Brock Lesnar interview.
codyq
2/16/10 6:16:34PM

Brock - maybe - Brock said, Mir had him "seeing stars" during the second fight. So how will he hold up against a HW striker with a Good TD-Defense. Can he stop Nog from finding the Sub.

Well played sir.

The correct answer was "Tweety Birds" The answer we were looking for was tweeting birds.

Brock has never faced a good striker.

I think Mir will take this lesnar rubber match and come back strong. The guy is taking this seriously which IMO is kinda scary. If lesnar gets caught in a sub he better tap RIGHT AWAY cause Mirs looking to break something OFF. Mir is scary when it comes to submissions, hes scary when hes pissed.

codyq
2/16/10 9:44:34PM
Yeah I know the result of that fight.......... like the pictures though : )

He beat that same fighter as well - why I used "Pretty Much" in my sentence.

cute avatar though man.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
codyq
2/16/10 10:04:33PM

1 - I never said anything about Lesnar. However, the argument for him to be #1 blows away ANY argument you can make for Lashley. Your comment is laughable.

Who did you vote for??? you're one of the 9 that didnt vote for lesnar?

Also you're talking about me getting banned, so its ok for you to talk ****?? Just wondering, seriously. You dog on my post, then talk about me getting banned for saying "African American" If you think about it, this statement is politically correct and studies and research has shown. ITS SCIENCE. There is extensive and persuasive research that elite black athletes have a phenotypic advantage-a distinctive skeletal system and musculature, metabolic structures, and other characteristics forged over tens of thousands of years of evolution. Logically and visually, my statement is true and is in no way racist.

My statement is like someone saying "WHITE MEN CANT JUMP" ITS TRUE!!! They even made a movie about it and it was not criticized.

It is funny that it is "Laughable" to compare lashley to Lesnar. Why??? Save the resume, I already know it, and if that's your answer I am going to have to join you in on a laugh. Ban me if you want, but my statement is politically correct, and was in no way racist. IF anything, its a compliment.
TimW001
2/16/10 10:12:58PM

Posted by emfleek

2 - Bringing race into the discussion in the manner you're doing it could lead to you getting banned without warning. Tone it down, please.

It was a reference to a Brock lesnar interview where he said something similiar.
emfleek
2/16/10 10:58:02PM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by emfleek

2 - Bringing race into the discussion in the manner you're doing it could lead to you getting banned without warning. Tone it down, please.

It was a reference to a Brock lesnar interview where he said something similiar.

I stand corrected. My apologies to the TS. I didn't hear/see the interview.

Who did you vote for??? you're one of the 9 that didnt vote for lesnar?

I didn't.

It is funny that it is "Laughable" to compare lashley to Lesnar. Why??? Save the resume, I already know it

Resume has EVERYTHING to do with it. You're saying Lashley is your honorable mention for being the #1 Ranked Heavyweight (after Fedor)...based on what? That's the question here. If they're the "same" fighter, how can you NOT give the edge to Lesnar based on resume and resume alone? Using your logic, you can pull any professional wrestler from WWE, have him fight 4 mediocre and sub-par fighters and then you'll consider them one of the top fighters in the world.

I don't understand why you give the edge to Lashley over Lesnar. I don't understand how you can give the edge to Lashley.
codyq
2/16/10 11:20:49PM

esume has EVERYTHING to do with it. You're saying Lashley is your honorable mention for being the #1 Ranked Heavyweight (after Fedor)...based on what? That's the question here. If they're the "same" fighter, how can you NOT give the edge to Lesnar based on resume and resume alone? Using your logic, you can pull any professional wrestler from WWE, have him fight 4 mediocre and sub-par fighters and then you'll consider them one of the top fighters in the world. I don't understand why you give the edge to Lashley over Lesnar. I don't understand how you can give the edge to Lashley.

If I gave the edge to lashley then he would have been one of the names on the poll where lesnar was and lesnar would have been honorable mention.

Skill wise they are the same.

ALSO.

Beating couture is nothing to brag about

Couture at the time:

45 years of age
16-9 record
Couldn't beat chuck at LHW, lost 2 in a row to the SLO/SB native
Got fed against Sylvia outta retirement for the BELT, in everyone's eyes, Sylvia is a SLOP. I would differ from others opinions but most of the people say he is no good.
Couture beat gonzaga who was livin off the Cro-Cop Hype.
PLUS, how many average fighters have upset a superstar? I could name a bunch. You should know who they are, so I will not drop a list for ya.
Couture went 2-2 in the HW division
In his last five fights at LHW he went 3-2.
Hes hit or miss
His longest win streak came in 2001 where he won 4 in a row and beat guys like Horn and Randleman. BIG DEAL.

Then Lesnar avenged his only loss to Mir where he beat him impressively.
Brock lost to Mir when Mir was not even in the mix and was "Irrelevant" at the time. If brock beats mir in a best outta 3, I will give him credit for beating Mir, I dont think it will happen seeing as Mir has "Bulked" up quite a bit.

Then Lesnar couldn't finish off a mid level fighter (herring)

All I know is, Lashley is undefeated and has one more win than lesnar, they might have been SLOPS but since he won, we cant really bash the guy can we? Lesnar has only impressed me by smashing Mir into a pulp, he also lost to the guy too. I gave lesnar the benefit of the doubt by putting him in the poll and putting Lashley as honorable mention, why are you picking at me, cause I feel they are the same fighter?

emfleek
2/16/10 11:28:43PM

Posted by codyq

why are you picking at me, cause I feel they are the same fighter?

Because of this...

Posted by codyq

Honorable mention:

Carwin
Lashley

There's just absolutely no way on Earth that Lashley's name can even be mentioned in this discussion. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, though.
gartface
2/17/10 12:01:10AM
Lesnar, based on his ability. I would like to say I don't understand the hate that comes from Lesnar bashers, but I do. I understand that they think he's "tainted" the sport, and that he's still a pro wrestler.

Wake up! He's 4-1... His game has changed by leaps and bounds since his first fight with Min Soo Kim. The guy has shown he has a good chin so far, at least in my mind. He got tagged a couple times by Couture and Mir and never looked dazed. I guess he got staggered somewhat, but took Mir down immediately and recomposed himself; a veteran move by a "pro wrestler."

His speed and strength alone make his potential scary. The fact that he has such a great wrestling pedigree and power in his hands makes him my number one after Emelianenko.

2. Nogueira
3. Mir
4. Dos Santos
5. Werdum

Glad to see that Carwin wasn't on this list though.
codyq
2/17/10 1:54:28PM

Wake up! He's 4-1.

HAHAHA

Yeah lets wake up. He's tearin through everyone. I only bash cause of one thing (4-1)

If he had the same attitude with an amazing record, I'd like that, I would like that hes confident, but the guys acting like he can OWN MMA. Even when he lost, he was shaking his head still trying to hide the fact that he just LOST, just how Rogers acted when he got tore up.

Thats great n all that he pounded mir into ground chuck, but thats ONE win. He also lost to Mir. Giving lesnar credit for the herring and couture win is just laughable.

Give the guy time.

Why cant we give Rogers MORE credit than Lesnar? Just sayin.

Guys 10-1 to Lesnars 4-1

Rogers lost to Fedor in the Second round
Lesnar lost to Mir in the 1st round
Rogers is only 28
Lesnar is already 32
Rogers beat Arlovski in the first round (Seconds) who IMO can beat both Mir and Couture.

Rogers 10-1 only loss was to the greatest of ll time
Lesnar 4-1 only loss was to an irrelevant @ the time MIR.
Lesnar beat Mir in the second round

Also, why is everyone bashing on carwin? GUYS 11-0 ending all of his fights in the first round, are you guys serious?!?!?!

The ONLY fight Lesnar finished in the first round was Min Soo Kim lol.

codyq
2/17/10 1:59:25PM

odyq why are you picking at me, cause I feel they are the same fighter? Because of this... Posted by codyq Honorable mention: Carwin Lashley There's just absolutely no way on Earth that Lashley's name can even be mentioned in this discussion. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, though.

Well how could I throw NOG or MIRS name in there?

MIR lost to Brock and NOG lost to MIR. It wouldnt make sence to put them in a poll of whos #1. REALLY.....who's # 2.

Lashley though beating SLOPS, STILL is undefeated, so is carwin. I also put them as honorable mention, they were not even in the poll.

But thanks for letting me have my own opinion.
gartface
2/17/10 2:36:25PM

Posted by codyq

Also, why is everyone bashing on carwin? GUYS 11-0 ending all of his fights in the first round, are you guys serious?!?!?!

The ONLY fight Lesnar finished in the first round was Min Soo Kim lol.

They have two completely different fighting styles, despite the fact everyone seems to bank on Carwin's wrestling that I've yet to see.

Carwin has no head movement and goes in "guns blazin" and goes for that knockout. Lesnar works his ground game. The difference is, aside from the leg lock from Mir, when have you seen Lesnar in legitimate trouble? Now how many times has Carwin been dazed?

I think Carwin has potential, but he needs to learn to move his head and block better if he's going to try and stand and trade with top heavyweight strikers.

And if you want to bring age into question, as you seem to do so often, Carwin is 35 years old. Just for future reference.
codyq
2/17/10 3:17:29PM

They have two completely different fighting styles, despite the fact everyone seems to bank on Carwin's wrestling that I've yet to see. Carwin has no head movement and goes in "guns blazin" and goes for that knockout. Lesnar works his ground game. The difference is, aside from the leg lock from Mir, when have you seen Lesnar in legitimate trouble? Now how many times has Carwin been dazed? I think Carwin has potential, but he needs to learn to move his head and block better if he's going to try and stand and trade with top heavyweight strikers. And if you want to bring age into question, as you seem to do so often, Carwin is 35 years old. Just for future reference.

DUDE.....11-0 ALL IN THE FIRST ROUND. They have 2 completely different styles??? NO brock has his wrestling and Carwin has his. Except carwin can BOX and he can submit you as well. Hes a purple belt in BJJ.

When have we seen lesnar in trouble besides the MIR fight??? Dude he has had 4 fights lol and he has gotten submitted already anyways.

When have we ever seen Carwin in trouble?? He has finished everyone off in the first round!

Brock also claimed he was seein tweety birds when mir gave him that knee to the dome.

I think lesnar has potential, but he needs to work on his all around game. Once he faces a "STRIKER" that can hold his own on the ground, hes in a world of trouble. The best striker he has faced so far was MIR.
Pages: [1] 2