NSAC SUSPENDS DIAZ ONE YEAR FOR POSITIVE TEST

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » NSAC SUSPENDS DIAZ ONE YEAR FOR POSITIVE TEST
sparky
5/22/12 9:35:29AM
Nick Diaz was suspended for one year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his positive test for marijuana metabolites following his loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143 in Las Vegas.

The UFC welterweight, who was already under temporary suspension since the failed drug test, was also fined $79,500 (30 per cent of his purse).

Appearing before the commission Monday, Diaz’s lawyer Ross Goodman argued that the NSAC could not suspend him for violating its policies since marijuana metabolites do not constitute a prohibited substance.

Diaz, who has a medical exemption to use marijuana in his home state of California, has been taking it to help deal with ADHD.

Link
kopower
5/22/12 10:32:16AM
Now Nick can smoke to his hearts desire. Maybe this will make him change his ways
ghandikush
5/22/12 12:05:43PM

Posted by kopower

Now Nick can smoke to his hearts desire. Maybe this will make him change his ways

Yeah, next time he'll get clean in time lol. All those performance enhancing marihuana effects.
MMAcca
5/22/12 4:29:44PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by kopower

Yeah, next time he'll get clean in time lol. All those performance enhancing marihuana effects.

It's on the banned substance list. End of.
Wolfenstein
5/22/12 4:32:23PM
I think that's a really harsh judgment. There are guys like Overeem and Chael Sonnen who are getting caught using Testosterone, or steroids--and they get 6-9 months.
MMAcca
5/22/12 4:36:13PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think that's a really harsh judgment. There are guys like Overeem and Chael Sonnen who are getting caught using Testosterone, or steroids--and they get 6-9 months.

Don't forget it's Diaz's second offence.

I don't think 12 months is that harsh considering.
BeeR
5/22/12 7:35:23PM
go ahead and use cocaine, testosterone or other PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS, go on police chase rampages possibly taking a life, or assault your wife or girlfriend though, you'll be back in 6-8 months if that

KungFuMaster
5/22/12 11:36:10PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I too think the punishment was a bit harsh. Whether this is Diaz's first or second offense, it does not change the fact he only did marijuana and marijuana IMO is not anywhere as bad as steroids when it comes to competition.

I guess the Athletics commissions are adapting the California law - three strikes and you're out which I don't particularly agree with entirely.
crushedbacon
5/23/12 4:38:41AM
I would suggest Diaz should have his licence re-instated immediately and fighters like Henderson and Sonnen be required to compete without the use of TRT, and if they can't do that... Retire.... that's the natural progression...
NSAC won't let Nick Diaz and rational thought force them into re-evaluating an absurd list of rules they enforce, much easier for the NSAC to stay ignorant and punish Diaz for challenging their ridiculous rules, how dare he put them in a position where they would have to explain the merit behind them... because we all know, none of them could do that.

TRT... OK & Marijuana.... 30% of your purse gone, can't fight for a year... in fucking combat sports. Diaz will have to smoke more weed just to process and cope with the borderline retarded philosophy these assholes employ.
FR33B1RD
5/23/12 8:49:33AM
People on TRT need to retire if people can't smoke a bowl and fight
ghandikush
5/23/12 1:30:37PM

Posted by FR33B1RD

correction, smoke a bowl 5 or so days before the fight. Definition of performance enhancement.
MMAcca
5/23/12 4:05:42PM

Posted by BeeR

go ahead and use cocaine, testosterone or other PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS, go on police chase rampages possibly taking a life, or assault your wife or girlfriend though, you'll be back in 6-8 months if that

Cocaine isn't enhancing anybody's performance, at anything.......
thevoodooninja
5/23/12 4:35:01PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by BeeR

it enhances the a-hole within
BeeR
5/23/12 7:37:22PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by FR33B1RD

correction, smoke a bowl 5 or so days before the fight. Definition of performance enhancement.

um if you know anything about drug testing, urine, and blood are very inaccurate when dealing with marijuana especially. Hair testing is really the only accurate read, and still cant give an accurate read on when the subject last used. THC stays in your system for months, cocaine, opiates benzos and all other drugs are gone from your system in a matter of days, so for Guillard and others to test positive for cocaine, means they used it less then a week before their fight, what did they get, 8 months?

I am a daily medicinal cannabis user and I can tell you from experience, I can quit for 14-22 days and still produce levels of THC that would suggest I was smoking my face off less then 24 hours before the test, furthermore, I can quit for 2 months, and still produce above average levels, I do it 2 times a year when I have to stop vaporizing and go back on the dirty meds that destroy my organs.

the only accurate read is hair testing, anyone suggesting or claiming Diaz was smoking 5 days before the fight because of his THC levels has no clue.
Diazs doctor is obviously biased, aswell as the States doctor, obviously the state doctor is purely reading from the AMA handbook

also, if you think marijuana is performance inhancing maybe try smoking it sometime.

BeeR
5/23/12 7:42:15PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by BeeR

who said it was?
I was stating different scenarios that fighters have been suspended for less then a year after doing something stupid.

you're obviously replacing testosterone with cocaine in my post.......even after you quote it.

maybe read it three times?
MMAcca
5/24/12 8:47:53AM

Posted by BeeR

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by BeeR

who said it was?
I was stating different scenarios that fighters have been suspended for less then a year after doing something stupid.

you're obviously replacing testosterone with cocaine in my post.......even after you quote it.

maybe read it three times?

Easy, easy.

Now breathe........Calm down.

It was an 'off the cuff' dig at people who use cocaine in general.

Nothing personal and no offence intended.