NSAC's stance on TUE's for TRT - Something you may not know

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » NSAC's stance on TUE's for TRT - Something you may not know
POLL: Did you know?
Yes 20% (4)
No 55% (11)
Don King's Hair Needs TRT 25% (5)
Kpro
1/26/12 1:20:04PM
Just something that it seems like most people don't know, from browsing other MMA forums out there and seeing a whole lot of opinions and not much fact on the subject.

The NSAC years ago took the stance, as I'm sure most if not all other AC's have, that if someone `ever` pops dirty for any steroid they will never in their career be allowed to get a TUE for TRT.

What this means is for a 30 year old fighter like Mo Lawal, even if 5 years down the road he requires TRT to continue his career and/or lead a normal functioning life and is approved by the worlds most renowned endocrinologist, he will not be allowed a TUE for TRT. The AC's will point to the failed steroid test as abuse being the reason for the need for TRT and deny the fighter any license to fight, making retirement possibly the only option.

It's a need to know for fighters who are in their 20's and may not be looking that far ahead, and I think is a good stance to take and may ease at least a few people's minds on the amount some think TRT's could and likely will be abused as the years go on.

What this means is if a fighter like Hendo would've ever popped dirty years years ago, for instance, Hendo would've been forced to retire in 2007. Luckily he never did pop dirty and we would've missed out on so many amazing fights..

If Lawal hits the point where it's required to still compete, as Hendo did in 07, this positive test he just got is doing a whole lot more damage in the long run than the 1 year suspension and small fine. It could be robbing him of an extra half dozen years of his career also.

I just thought those on both sides of the TRT issue would like to know because after all...

Bubbles
1/26/12 1:32:52PM
TUE = Therapeutic Use Exemption

(i had to google it)
Kpro
1/26/12 1:39:44PM

Posted by Bubbles

TUE = Therapeutic Use Exemption

(i had to google it)

Yeah sorry about that, and thanks for spelling it out for those who didn't know. The TUE is what you need approved by the AC for TRT which is a combination of a lot of paperwork, test results, doctor recommendation, etc.
Budgellism
1/26/12 1:57:55PM
I went for Don King's hair needs TRT for obvious reasons
Poor_Franklin
1/26/12 2:39:47PM
didnt know, but voted for DK's hair
Bubbles
1/26/12 2:49:53PM
i didnt know, but the Don King option is like "all of the above" i used in high school
scoozna
1/26/12 4:47:54PM
Very interesting - I suppose there's only so much you can do with the drug testing, and separating former steroid use with some other cause for needing TRT is just not possible. Makes sense to me.
ncordless
1/26/12 6:19:23PM
Very interesting stuff, Kpro.
KungFuMaster
1/27/12 1:46:06PM
I voted yes because now I do.
tmas
1/27/12 5:58:08PM
wow i dont really like that rule.... on one hand its a good way to try and keep people from doing roids, on the other...well stuff happens and sometimes things should be forgiven...and then again sometimes the reason people need TRT is because they have done roids our testosterone things in the past and cant produce enough naturally anymore.......really i kinda dont like the idea of TRT you get old you retire thats the way its suppose to be dont use it to prolong a career use it because its needed to be healthy..
Kpro
1/27/12 6:18:59PM

Posted by tmas

really i kinda dont like the idea of TRT you get old you retire thats the way its suppose to be dont use it to prolong a career use it because its needed to be healthy..

It's a real medical issue that's not just for athletes getting old though. I like that they're taking steps like this to try and weed out many that would be using it for reasons it's not there for.

There are athletes in their early 20's, though rare, who need TRT treatment, most likely due to genetics. Without it they are a 20 year old who is too fatigued all day to train and they likely would have little to no sex life.

You don't want it to be used to prolong a career, but do approve it's usage to be healthy which is great But does that 20 year old athlete fit in the category of prolonging a career?