Speaking optimistically about his future, Alistair Overeem said on Thursday night's MMA Uncensored Live on Spike TV that he and his team would soon go in front of the Nevada state athletic commission (NSAC) with hopes of receiving a conditional license for a possible Dec. 29 heavyweight title fight against champion Junior dos Santos. He even went so far as to say that a date for the meeting had been tentatively set, but not confirmed.
This came as news to the commission's executive director, Keith Kizer, on Friday morning, who told MMA Fighting that while NSAC will hold its regular monthly meeting on August 24, Overeem is not among the scheduled topics of discussion. In fact, he said, he hasn't even heard from anyone in Overeem's camp about putting him on the docket.
"That must be wishful thinking," he said. "He will not be on the agenda."
Furthermore, Kizer said under existing state statutes, Overeem would not be able to apply for a license until December 27, making his eligibility for a fight two days later a near-impossibility. In effect, Kizer said, there is no legal way to grant him an early hearing.
"I see no way to do that. I know of none," he said. "But even if the commission had some discretion to grant some waiver of time, I personally don't see this as the case. I'd be against that. There is some discretion at the commission level, but I don't think this is the case to use that discretion. This is not just a guy who engaged in cheating, but a guy who ran out the front door when the testing was being done."link