NSAC head: Chael Sonnen needs to answer for testosterone, referee criticism

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » NSAC head: Chael Sonnen needs to answer for testosterone, referee criticism
Rabi
4/5/11 2:34:51PM
Chael Sonnen's fate as a coach on "The Ultimate Fighter 14" likely was sealed three weeks ago.

Sonnen then met with Nevada State Athletic Commission officials in Las Vegas to explain statements he'd made about his use of prescribed testosterone. He also was set to learn what to expect if he applied for a second's license that would allow him to coach the reality show later this year.

The meeting – which was also attended by UFC president Dana White, UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta and other high-ranking officials from the promotion – did not go well.

Link
ncordless
4/5/11 3:16:00PM
Chael comes off as pretty slimy in this article, as well as many others written about him recently.

His argument about not lying when he said that Kizer had given him the ok on his roids when they had never met before is pretty horrible, and will probably cost him big time.
Theoutlaw08
4/5/11 3:17:02PM
I just don't get why he is lying about stuff. If he comes clean, he will likely be able to fight again soon. He is making it worse for himself.

However, I don't want to watch a full season of TUF with fricken' Bisping as a coach. That guy makes me ill sometimes.
cowcatcher
4/5/11 3:20:31PM
I don't think Sonnen even realizes he's lying half the time, I think he just talks without thinking. I have to admit that I find the guy extremely entertaining though, and kind of find myself cheering for him at this point. I don't like his politics, I am not a big fan of blatant lying, he's never been one of my favorite fighters to watch, but still I love hearing what he has to say on anything and everything. I guess comedy trumps all the other stuff for me.

He's in deep shoo-poo though, and it's going to be awhile before we see him again, which sucks because him and Bisping on TUF would have provided a ton of hilarious soundbites.
ncordless
4/5/11 3:27:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I don't think Sonnen even realizes he's lying half the time, I think he just talks without thinking. I have to admit that I find the guy extremely entertaining though, and kind of find myself cheering for him at this point. I don't like his politics, I am not a big fan of blatant lying, he's never been one of my favorite fighters to watch, but still I love hearing what he has to say on anything and everything. I guess comedy trumps all the other stuff for me.

He's in deep shoo-poo though, and it's going to be awhile before we see him again, which sucks because him and Bisping on TUF would have provided a ton of hilarious soundbites.

To me, while he might provide the funny soundbite from time to time, I don't abide liars, cheaters, and thieves. Chael Sonnen is all three, and has shown no signs of turning over a new leaf.

I wouldn't care if never fought again at this point, and it is a good thing that he didn't beat Anderson.
cowcatcher
4/5/11 4:05:00PM
I hear you, but I figure he just adopted this new persona before his last fight, and he hasn't had time to perfect the act yet. The guy made a fight that had little intrigue going into it a big time event, and then he went and backed it up for almost the entirety of the fight until getting caught in a crazy come from behind sub only to be found later to have used steroids and be involved in a real estate scheme. I know you know all this, but when it's all typed out there it looks like a friggin movie script and it's kept me pretty entertained. His character is unquestionably flawed, I don't think anyone can argue that.
DeadHead988
4/5/11 5:49:40PM
I don't like Keith Kizer one bit. Also, Sonnen was perfectly right to criticize Josh Rosenthal.
BigIP
4/5/11 9:20:11PM
After his calling out Lance Armstrong then flat out denying it and now this I'm starting to think Chael is a compulsive liar. But who knows....
RearNakedJoke
4/6/11 12:10:56AM
I dont see where his legal issues outside the MMA world should have anything at all to do with him getting a seconds license.

i also dont see how his opinion on a refs performance has anything to do with it.

Sounds like Kiezer has a grudge (understandably) against him, but to pile on all this other stuff is just ridiculous.
ncordless
4/6/11 2:05:39AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

I dont see where his legal issues outside the MMA world should have anything at all to do with him getting a seconds license.

i also dont see how his opinion on a refs performance has anything to do with it.

Sounds like Kiezer has a grudge (understandably) against him, but to pile on all this other stuff is just ridiculous.

Did you read the article? Sonnen told the CSAC that he'd talked about his testosterone therapy with Kizer, when Kizer had never even met Chael before. Then, when Chael finally did meet Kizer and Kizer asked for an expanation, Chael tried to worm his way out of it.
Darnok
4/6/11 10:52:58AM

Posted by BigIP

After his calling out Lance Armstrong then flat out denying it and now this I'm starting to think Chael is a compulsive liar. But who knows....

Isn't this a prerequisite for being a politician.