Noticing A lot of new "UFC" fans. (UFConFOX works)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Noticing A lot of new "UFC" fans. (UFConFOX works)
MuayThaiGeek13
12/31/11 6:54:08PM
My news feed on Facebook had 4 or 5 different debates going on about last nights Fight aswell as 140 and its coming from friends of mine that have never shown any kind of interest before.

I'm always "fighting for the freedom of mixed martial arts" just like most of you, but I'm really annoyed by these new FOX fans..

SpiderSilva
12/31/11 7:09:39PM
Don't hate it embrace it brotha. this thing is only gonna get bigger.
State_Champ
12/31/11 7:16:57PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Don't hate it embrace it brotha. this thing is only gonna get bigger.

Don't be some sort of MMA elitist.
They're new fans, they'll learn. It could probably help if people with MMA knowledge guide the new fans' learning.
I know that when I started to follow MMA the playground was a very helpful place to learn.

That said, I don't know these people.... maybe they're just stupid and annoying and nothing can be done about it.
MuayThaiGeek13
12/31/11 7:28:13PM
You're both absolutely right, and i always welcome new fans to this wonderful sport.

No one was happy about the 'Never back down' fans either, don't get it twisted gents.

Speaking for myself, I kind of take ownership of this sport since I've backed and supported it for years even though it wasn't the cool thing to do.

I know you all remember how Tapout was torn rom us!
Chael_Sonnen
12/31/11 7:45:50PM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

My news feed on Facebook had 4 or 5 different debates going on about last nights Fight aswell as 140 and its coming from friends of mine that have never shown any kind of interest before.

I'm always "fighting for the freedom of mixed martial arts" just like most of you, but I'm really annoyed by these new FOX fans..

All "fans" annoy me.
Budgellism
12/31/11 7:58:16PM
Embrace the new fans. We were all new fans at some point. I'm not going to lie though, when they start replacing mma with ufc it bothers me.
Geoffo
12/31/11 8:05:48PM
MMA fans are the worst fans of all time, as in they're easy to bash fighters. But at the same time we're the most passionate fans in sports.

Agree with what you guys said, fans that replace MMA with "UFC" annoys me. Or the select few on Facebook that think they know what they're talking about. Those who don't know who Overeem is, or think Fitch is the worst fighter ever.

Its hard to embrace new fans, but lets try lol.
prophecy033
12/31/11 8:19:43PM

Posted by Geoffo

MMA fans are the worst fans of all time, as in they're easy to bash fighters. But at the same time we're the most passionate fans in sports.

Agree with what you guys said, fans that replace MMA with "UFC" annoys me. Or the select few on Facebook that think they know what they're talking about. Those who don't know who Overeem is, or think Fitch is the worst fighter ever.

Its hard to embrace new fans, but lets try lol.

I Here we're passionate but futbol fans are CRAZY
Pookie
1/1/12 1:56:07AM
I say hold back and let them get comfortable, then school them when they're wrong.
mrsmiley
1/1/12 8:09:43AM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

I've felt your pain for a while:

MMA

I've come to believe you just have to accept the good with the bad.
Their will always be A holes but at least I have more people to talk about it with. Read Ju-Jitsu freaks post on the link.
Totally awesome! The difference now is that at least people are starting understand the sport instead of just wearing the clothing.
State_Champ
1/1/12 8:42:28AM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

You're both absolutely right, and i always welcome new fans to this wonderful sport.

No one was happy about the 'Never back down' fans either, don't get it twisted gents.

Speaking for myself, I kind of take ownership of this sport since I've backed and supported it for years even though it wasn't the cool thing to do.

I know exactly what you mean about "taking ownership". It seems like an instinctual reaction for me. It's as if the new (less knowledgeable) fans are trespassing and misrepresenting MMA (or at least, misrepresenting MMA fans), but new fans are still fans of the sport. The new fans like to watch MMA fights, they help to pay the fighters that I love to watch, and for that I thanks the noobs.

jjeans
1/1/12 12:30:10PM
Yeah, the fans are coming, I like most of us are just going to have to embrace it... And hope the trolls don't take over the site as the PG is the best by a long way!
Kpro
1/1/12 4:08:50PM
It's crazy that it's been 7 years since the `TUF fans` basically doubled the amount of board posts on MMA forums after the TUF 1 finale. I remember having to correct everyone and their mom back then; it was like pulling teeth. All fans of MMA are good no matter how new, since we all were at one point, but I like Pookie's snake in the grass method.
FastKnockout
1/1/12 4:10:25PM
I'm not an MMA elitist or anything, but if someone makes it's obvious they're a new fan and make ignorant comments I usually won't give them a chance, especially if the ignorant comment happens to be about Chuck Liddell after becoming a fan after Chuck's title reign.

"Chuck was the heavyweight champ for years until Randy Couture beat him then Brock Lesnar smashed Randy."

I'll never forget that comment. Pissed me because the guy had been talking the whole night like he was making his own documentary of the UFC.

Pookie
1/1/12 6:26:23PM

Posted by Kpro
Pookie's snake in the grass method.

Raise your hand if you thought of something naughty too,
Aether
1/1/12 8:02:05PM
Everyone's ignorant when they first enter the sport, you just need to break them in by smashing their arguments logically and calmly.

The only thing I really hate is the dudes who say nonsense like "what a pussy" or call any kind of grappling "gay". That drives me up a wall. My rule is if you wouldn't say it to the guy's face, you shouldn't be saying it at all.
prozacnation1978
1/2/12 3:42:47PM
If there are a lot new fans the ppv numbers would be a lot higher. I really don't like new fans talking out their ass about mma stuff they really don't know
fonduktoe
1/3/12 3:05:47AM

Posted by MuayThaiGeek13

i welcome anyone that wants to embrace mma no matter how uneducated or annoying. fans pay for this sport so to get elitist about who can and should watch mma is asinine and childish. ur backpedalling in ur post cause u say u welcome new fans but ur initial post was bitching about new fans...grow up.
pmoney
1/3/12 12:40:43PM
I welcome the new fans. I have been hoping for another growth in MMA for some time. I was hoping the Fox deal would help to bring that, and I think it is starting to.

As far as ignorant people talking out their asses goes, that happens with anything. You know when people try to use big words they don't know the meaning of just to try and sound smart? Nothing is more annoying to me. But all you can do is correct the person and tell them they sound foolish. Tell them what the definition of the word means, and hope they remember it and use it in an appropriate context in the future. Most people will.

I know when I started spending my PPV money on Pride and UFC instead of K-1,I was fairly ignorant to the nuances of the sport. But then, I didn't pretend like I wasn't. I've educated myself, and my love for the sport has grown, along with my knowledge.

Give the newbies a chance. I think this sport desperately needs new fans, as growth seems to be stagnating. I have a little over 200 people on my Facebook, and I only remember seeing about 5-6 post anything about the card the night of 141. Compare that to any NFL Sunday, more people talk about that than anything else.

I want MMA to be as big as the NFL someday. I want more fight cards, more money for fighters, and more benefit to the sport all around. We need the new fans to make that happen. We need the new fans to make the sport socially acceptable.
Patchedup15
1/3/12 4:12:30PM
Someone already mentioned this but just to expand.. Once people get more familiar with the sport you can be annoyed (just like people get annoyed when i say i'm a Chael Fan). But remember don't take em seriously just yet.. if anything suggest past fights for them to rewatch and educate them!