Notes from UFC/FOX press conference

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Notes from UFC/FOX press conference
emfleek
8/18/11 1:41:08PM
- 4 shows per year on Fox Network. First fight November 12th in Anaheim, CA.

- 6 shows per year on FX. (Ultimate Fight Night)

- Live Ultimate Fighter Reality show. Fighters will be in house and footage will be taped and played on Friday, followed immediately by that week's fight live.

- Current deal is for 7 year term.

emfleek
8/18/11 1:43:26PM
32 shows??? Holy crap. This makes me think that the Strikeforce: Challengers series is going to become the "minor leagues" of sorts for the UFC.

And a live version of TUF. Interesting!

EDIT: Disregard. I think it was misinterpreted and incorrectly reported...I don't know where the number 32 came from. MixedMartialArts.com was reporting that.
kingsmasher
8/18/11 1:44:51PM
Thats pretty sick....schedule...

Makes me think Stikeforce challenger series is gonna be no longer and just mix the fighters into this..32 shows on Fridays arent gonna all be premium fighters...Gonna be lots of smaller names and up and comers...
kingsmasher
8/18/11 1:51:49PM
A live Ultimate fighter is interesting...I bet you have to pay for live feeds online...

I would like to see the ultimate fighter allow the guys to have a tv...but no cable and a complete library of the ufcs past shows....otherwise that show can be very boring...I think with a tv and libaryry of fights would generate alot of testosterone and more arguments and drama...
telnights
8/18/11 1:56:14PM
This is huge for MMA fans. TONS of free fights.
FastKnockout
8/18/11 2:15:31PM
I'll miss the gladiator intro.
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/11 3:00:28PM
Now, are the 4 shows are FOX, going to be like figh night cards or will they be semi-stacked cards like maybe a ppv type.
emfleek
8/18/11 3:03:36PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Now, are the 4 shows are FOX, going to be like figh night cards or will they be semi-stacked cards like maybe a ppv type.

You know as much as we do, man.

Personally, I can't imagine Zuffa blowing their wad on this. They'll likely be Fight Night-type cards with an exception (PPV quality card) here and there I'm guessing.
Chael_Sonnen
8/18/11 3:31:42PM
Now, I gotta find out what channel Fuel TV is on my cable provider.
Chael_Sonnen
8/18/11 6:28:24PM
For Charter customers....channel 211
prozacnation1978
8/18/11 8:34:40PM
I wonder if nov 12th in anaheim will be a numbered event??

Headliner could be henderson vs evans
Comain event. Guida vs henderson
Or fitch vs akiyama
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/11 9:12:23PM
Well even if the ones on FOX aren't ppv type cards, the main events will be 5 rounds so...

We do have our first match up for the Nov. 12th card, Dustin P vs Pablo Garza
Pookie
8/19/11 2:57:42AM
I believe less fighters will get cut. They'll need a bigger roster.

Also, GUS JOHNSON. God i hope that guy doesnt commentate on fox.
ncordless
8/19/11 2:28:50PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Not me. I think one of the best things about this deal is that I willl never have to see gladiator man rub the sand on his hands ever again. I will never have to hear a growling man who says he needs a minute to himself and then devolve into barking. I will never again be threatened with being KOed just because I am going to watch TUF. You guys know how much I love MMA. . . but more than once I have questioned what the hell I was doing while sitting through the intros. I can't be the only one. This move will broaden the appeal of the sport by getting rid of some of that out-dated version of what people think 18-34 males listen to.
emfleek
8/19/11 2:35:39PM

Posted by ncordless

Not me. I think one of the best things about this deal is that I willl never have to see gladiator man rub the sand on his hands ever again. I will never have to hear a growling man who says he needs a minute to himself and then devolve into barking. I will never again be threatened with being KOed just because I am going to watch TUF. You guys know how much I love MMA. . . but more than once I have questioned what the hell I was doing while sitting through the intros. I can't be the only one. This move will broaden the appeal of the sport by getting rid of some of that out-dated version of what people think 18-34 males listen to.

+1

Personally, I could live without being blown a "kiss" by the ring girls before fights and in between rounds of EVERY fight. That's just flat out cheesy as far as I'm concerned. Show the girls with their cards and leave it at that. I love a nice sh*tter as much as the next guy, but following them to their seats with the camera fixated on their butts every time? Douchey. It makes me feel like I should have a fauxhawk, a pink shirt with a popped collar and holey jeans on.
telnights
8/19/11 3:30:17PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by FastKnockout

I also feel if the sport is going to truly keep growing it needs to get away from the image the intro portrays.
Kpro
8/21/11 2:40:58AM

Posted by emfleek

Personally, I could live without being blown a "kiss" by the ring girls before fights and in between rounds of EVERY fight. .

Get on the TRT bandwagon bro; makes the blown kisses by the ring girls that much better.
KNIGHT
8/22/11 1:34:14AM
I'm glad they got on fox sports because i think they do sports as good as anyone. I always thought the ufc would be a great fit for f/x and vise-versa. Really don't know what to think about tuf i wanted it to just go away and have something like friday night fights I don't really like the reality part. I guess I will just have to wait and see how it turns out.