Noons: 'I’m a Free Agent'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Noons: 'I’m a Free Agent'
grappler0000
10/8/08 6:20:03AM
Karl James Noons is looking towards greener pastures, which may or may not include his return to the EliteXC cage, he says.

“I’m a free agent,” Noons told Sherdog.com Monday, the result of EliteXC taking back his championship belt.

Noons, 25, was stripped of his EliteXC 160-pound title on Sept. 19 after the promotion said he refused to defend his title against Nick Diaz.

Noons bested the mouthy Stockton, Calif. native with a first-round TKO on cuts in November 2007. Words between the fighters and their families ensued in the cage, and a rematch loomed.

EliteXC attempted to promote said rematch on three separate cards since July. But Noons took umbrage with Diaz’s pay scale, which was nearly three times more than his.

Private discussions spilled into the public forum when an EliteXC rep announced Noons had been given a 24-hour deadline to accept the bout.

Though Noons was subsequently removed from EliteXC’s champions mantle, he said a piece is missing from the timeline.

“We weren’t coming to agreements on the fight, so I gave them written notice that I’d give them the belt back five days prior before they stripped me,” he said, in the hopes of “working something out.” “I didn’t make it public, and I guess to prove a point, or maybe out of ego or whatever they want, they stripped me.”

Noons said his contract, of which two fights remain, only pertains to his reign as a titleholder.

"Since I’ve been stripped, I’m no longer the champion and I don’t owe them the fights," he said. "I owed them fights for being a champion.”

Jeremy Lappen, EliteXC’s Head of Fight Operations, doesn’t agree.

"KJ still has two more fights on his contract," Lappen said Monday. “I’m hoping we’ll work something out, but there’s really not much to work out. He’s still under contract with us.”

Link
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/8/08 6:45:50AM

Posted by grappler0000

EliteXC attempted to promote said rematch on three separate cards since July. But Noons took umbrage with Diaz’s pay scale, which was nearly three times more than his.

This will always make me !!!
nickcuc547
10/8/08 6:49:37AM
i hear palace fighting championships is making a hard run for him, rumble on the rock and extreme challenge are the other two front runners. good career move kj.
ohiostate1016
10/8/08 7:38:46AM
KJ is a talented kid. He did beat Diaz fair and square, and I wouldn't bet against him doing it again. He was the champ, and he even defending his belt against Yves Edwards. I don't really see why he wasn't making near what Diaz was making.

The crap that XC had with Diaz running in the cage after his fight was bullsh*t and WAS NOT the way to promote a fight. That's what makes MMA fighters look like thugs (but who would argue that Nick Diaz ISN'T one?).

I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC snapped up Noons. Enough of the Diaz nuthugging.
Bowen50
10/8/08 9:31:50AM
hopefully the UFC does pick him up so we can see the next best thing...Nate Diaz vs. KJ Noons.
nickcuc547
10/8/08 9:54:13AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

KJ is a talented kid. He did beat Diaz fair and square, and I wouldn't bet against him doing it again. He was the champ, and he even defending his belt against Yves Edwards. I don't really see why he wasn't making near what Diaz was making.

The crap that XC had with Diaz running in the cage after his fight was bullsh*t and WAS NOT the way to promote a fight. That's what makes MMA fighters look like thugs (but who would argue that Nick Diaz ISN'T one?).

I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC snapped up Noons. Enough of the Diaz nuthugging.

u serious?? the guy refused to defend his title against the top contender, elitexc does suck at promoting but that's no excuse for kj not taking the fight. and yes noons did beat diaz fair and square, but he didn't beat him up, nobody likes to win by cut and it proves absolutely nothing.
cmill21
10/8/08 11:50:00AM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by ohiostate1016

u serious?? the guy refused to defend his title against the top contender, elitexc does suck at promoting but that's no excuse for kj not taking the fight. and yes noons did beat diaz fair and square, but he didn't beat him up, nobody likes to win by cut and it proves absolutely nothing.

Really? I thought he beat him up pretty damn good lol.
nickcuc547
10/8/08 12:07:58PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by ohiostate1016

he got the best of him in that first round absolutely no questions asked, but diaz always takes a pounding early in the fight, that's the type of fighter he is. i guarantee if nog lost in that fashion everybody would be up in arms.
Wolfenstein
10/8/08 4:09:06PM
It's funny...apparently KJ doesn't understand the difference between being stripped on the title and being released from a contract. Two seperate things my man.
bls1919
10/8/08 5:02:13PM
KJ can always wait for EXC to implode
pmcnamara
10/8/08 5:10:16PM
How much longer can this EliteXC survive.. they are so out of money and the Kimbo Slice debacle has to be killing them.
4u2nv
10/8/08 5:15:32PM
idk what KJ can do. EliteXC will self implode someday and i hope it takes both the diaz brothers with them. There's always WEC for all of them.
Kpro
10/8/08 5:35:11PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by ohiostate1016

If Nog had lost by cut stoppage from the Herring kick, if Nate Diaz had lost by cut after the first round against Pellegrino, etc. etc. all would look like a dominating first round TKO via cut stoppage. Without cuts in those fights both guys came back and won the fight easily.

No one disputes the win but taking a round 10-9 and winning by cut stoppage doesn't prove one fighter is better than the other.

My opinion.
Naturaldisaster
10/8/08 7:36:37PM

Posted by 4u2nv

idk what KJ can do. EliteXC will self implode someday and i hope it takes both the diaz brothers with them. There's always WEC for all of them.

WEC would be his best move once he's gone from EXC because I think he would get owned in UFC. Sherk, BJ, Nate, florian, Stevenson, lauzon, maynard, etc would all beat him IMO
Bloodhound
10/8/08 7:40:45PM
haha i would like to see that fight
Pookie
10/9/08 7:50:52AM
Im sorry but LOL
disorderlyvision
10/9/08 11:01:52AM
"KJ still has two more fights on his contract," Lappen said Monday. “I’m hoping we’ll work something out, but there’s really not much to work out. He’s still under contract with us.”

did everyone but Wolfenstein miss that part of the article. everyone seemed to overlook it in the thread in the "other orgs" section too