NOOBS

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » NOOBS
JunCTion
2/21/07 3:00:03PM
since its been brought up lately in some of the posts id like to officially say that im a NOOB and id like to give props to DoTheMMath & madmarck for their comments and zephead for all his info.

ive only been into MMA for about 2 years and i dont fight (except with my wife, but she always wins) this is also the first time ive ever been involved in a forum (i dont know anyone that is into MMA except for you guys). so i appreciate both the ignorance and knowledge on this site (anything that helps me learn.) I regularly visit these websites for to improve my knowledge (ufc, pride, mmanews, mmaweekly, sherdog, and i appreciate zephead for all of his links). i also watch every show on spike, FSN north & ion. i dont have ppv available to me and i dont hang out at bars to watch events (i dont drink and i dont have friends). i have however watched every dvd available to me including PRIDEFC 1- 21& bushidos 1 - 4(im actually watching pride 10 again and just saw the yvel/goodridge fight with yvels high kick ko). i still have 22 - 28, bushidos 5-8 & all the tournaments up to 06 to watch. UFC 1-7 (they just put out 8&9) and ufc 42 to present. im also throughthe first 30 KOTCs. ive watched a lot of hook&shoot, IVC,ADCC,Gladiator Challenge, ExtremeFC & many others. ive also watched every fight that any of you guys have set up links to.

My first point is, to qoute madmarck "IF WE DONT HAVE "NOOBS" WE DONT HAVE NEW MMA FANS AND THE SPORT WILL DIE!"

My second point is, is that some of us NOOBS love this sport, and myself in particular, want to learn about the history of it and its fighters.

so again, on behalf of us NOOBS i appreciate the "hard core fans", or IMO, the experienced fans, that appreciate us NOOBS. thanks and id like to here from you guys, whether its comments, advice, websites, or any info that can help us along.

i would also like to here from other NOOBS who have any input or would like to discuss and compare our avenues of learning that have brought us this far.

if you dont have any positive input for this thread dont bother wasting your time on the keboard because youll just be wasting our time.

again props from JunCTion go out to madmarck, DoTHeMath & zephead

Posted by madmarck

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by OB_Juan

So are you a newb or have you just been living under a rock the past 3 yrs?w

/sigh

Perhaps he just hasn't spent time on lots of MMA message boards over the last couple years? There are fans who just watch all the events but aren't part of an online community. A kidnapping in Brazil isn't the kind of thing to make North American headlines. Apologies on the behalf of Waylon if he hasn't reached your level of knowledge yet

Its not his fault he isnt a Keyboard warrior. I get the feeling OB_Juan has had some forum bannign expericene has he is quick to flame people.

To all the People otu there. IF WE DONT HAVE "NOOBS" WE DONT HAVE NEW MMA FANS AND THE SPORT WILL DIE! I apologize for the caps but it had to be done.

ffforgottenx
2/21/07 3:27:43PM
everybody is a "NOOB" at some point bro.. everyone's interest has to be sparked at some point, and all the 'experienced fans' as you put it had to learn everything also.. dont let the keyboard warriors get you down if they talk trash for not knowing something (im assuming the brazilian kidnapping thing was about vitor belfort's sister?).. keyboard warriors make me laugh.. thats why this is the only MMA forum i post on.. the bullshit is kept to a minimum here..

that being said, here are a few other websites that some people may not check or know about..

www.lockflow.com - has a news section, product reviews, and interviews.. also has a very extensive library of grappling techniques if you have an interest in learning about grappling..

www.mmauniverse.com - has a pretty good news section.. they have a column 'the grapevine' that is rumors from around the world about different fighters and orgs.. usually a good site to check on for news

www.fcfighter.com - good news section, i find alot of stories that other websites dont have on this site..

ill let you check those out.. if you want any more recommendations just let me know bro..
Trapt1nw0nder
2/21/07 3:34:18PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

everybody is a "NOOB" at some point bro.. everyone's interest has to be sparked at some point, and all the 'experienced fans' as you put it had to learn everything also.. dont let the keyboard warriors get you down if they talk trash for not knowing something (im assuming the brazilian kidnapping thing was about vitor belfort's sister?).. keyboard warriors make me laugh.. thats why this is the only MMA forum i post on.. the bullshit is kept to a minimum here..

that being said, here are a few other websites that some people may not check or know about..

www.lockflow.com - has a news section, product reviews, and interviews.. also has a very extensive library of grappling techniques if you have an interest in learning about grappling..

www.mmauniverse.com - has a pretty good news section.. they have a column 'the grapevine' that is rumors from around the world about different fighters and orgs.. usually a good site to check on for news

www.fcfighter.com - good news section, i find alot of stories that other websites dont have on this site..

ill let you check those out.. if you want any more recommendations just let me know bro..

EEKS
2/21/07 3:36:37PM
I love posting here too cause all the crap that most people post on other websites is kept to a minimum. Its like all those keyboard warriors out there forgot how they started im pretty sure that at one point none of us even knew what the hell a guard was.
JunCTion
2/21/07 3:39:29PM

Posted by ffforgottenx

yeh, my interest was actually sparked by TUF and chris leben but i dont know if im into either of them anymore. but once i saw pride, i was hooked.
thanks for the sites / are there any good ones with free past fights?

and im glad this is the first forum site i found
JunCTion
2/21/07 3:41:25PM

Posted by EEKS

I love posting here too cause all the crap that most people post on other websites is kept to a minimum. Its like all those keyboard warriors out there forgot how they started im pretty sure that at one point none of us even knew what the hell a guard was.

yeh, my wife just calls it two guys humping. its the only time she actually watches for more than 5 seconds
ffforgottenx
2/21/07 3:45:20PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by ffforgottenx

yeh, my interest was actually sparked by TUF and chris leben but i dont know if im into either of them anymore. but once i saw pride, i was hooked.
thanks for the sites / are there any good ones with free past fights?

hm.. the best thing i can recommend is either youtube, daily motion, or google video.. you can do a search for certain fighters or fights, and you usually come up with a few results.. you may not, but you may.. hope that helps
DoTheMMAth
2/21/07 3:46:33PM
[Moved to padded room]
JunCTion
2/21/07 4:46:54PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

[Moved to padded room]

huh
hippysmacker
2/21/07 5:38:29PM
Glad to have you. Ffforgottenex is right, about google, daily motion and youtube. Without it I would have never seen a lot of the non UFC.Pride fight's I've enjoyed. if you aren't sure who someone is always just go to SHerdog fight finder and look them up. You might also want to look up fighter rankings and look for video on guys you don'y know. Enjoy
JunCTion
2/21/07 5:54:01PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Glad to have you. Ffforgottenex is right, about google, daily motion and youtube. Without it I would have never seen a lot of the non UFC.Pride fight's I've enjoyed. if you aren't sure who someone is always just go to SHerdog fight finder and look them up. You might also want to look up fighter rankings and look for video on guys you don'y know. Enjoy

thanks. i did find the fight finder and it is a huge help for me when a make picks. i just hope it works out with my record. i did excelent with the fighters that i knew but did lousy with the others on our 1st event.
the videos would help too. i can watch all of the pride, ufc,kotc dvds but not many more.
Ydoc
2/21/07 6:47:35PM
The records on Sherdog help on fighters you have no clue about.
JunCTion
2/21/07 6:56:37PM

Posted by Ydoc

yeh, thats pretty much what ive been looking there for
im just not always sure based on wins and losses

if a guy has 10 wins(8 by knockout) and his opponent has 4 losses(3 by knockout) thats how ive been picking

i picked gomi unanimous because i think they both have good striking and ground games but gomi wins all his decisions and diaz loses his.

i know its a little elementery but thats my experience factor. ill guess ill see how it works after the next event
madmarck
2/21/07 9:22:12PM
Wow someone actually read what i said. Hm Guess what i said was meaningful. In the real world everyone is considered equal. On the Internet it seems like no one is. Its a shame people can't even be half decent on here.
snakeplissken
2/22/07 3:29:42PM
I got into MMA from UFC 2 then I missed about 37 of them and then got back inot again. Then I discovered Pride and now Im a fully fleged fan of the sport.
madmarck
2/22/07 3:55:54PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by Ydoc

if a guy has 10 wins(8 by knockout) and his opponent has 4 losses(3 by knockout) thats how ive been picking

i picked gomi unanimous because i think they both have good striking and ground games but gomi wins all his decisions and diaz loses his.

i know its a little elementery but thats my experience factor. ill guess ill see how it works after the next event

Try checking out youtube there are lots of old Pride fights on there. Most of the UFC ones get taken down quickly though.
JunCTion
2/22/07 3:56:24PM

Posted by snakeplissken

I got into MMA from UFC 2 then I missed about 37 of them and then got back inot again. Then I discovered Pride and now Im a fully fleged fan of the sport.

pride made me a serious fan. now i dont just want to watch. i want to learn the history of fighters and orgs also. im currently watching all pride events from 1 to current. ive seen all ufcs available but i do hope theay release 10 thru 40 over time. also all the KOTC events.

i have all those 3 orgs dvds available to me. so its kind cool.

choice name
JunCTion
2/22/07 4:01:01PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by Ydoc

Try checking out youtube there are lots of old Pride fights on there. Most of the UFC ones get taken down quickly though.

thanks.