Your Top 5 NON MMA Athletes of all time

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Your Top 5 NON MMA Athletes of all time
« Previous Page
nastshabast
9/2/08 3:23:30PM
Get off Bure's nuts. He blows. 0 rings.
gsquat
9/2/08 5:01:33PM
I'm going to post MY top 5 non MMA athletes of all time. So if anybody has a problem with my list, remember, its just my opinion.

In no particular order...

Michael Jordan: Part of it is because I grew up idolizing him... but he was all too often there to make the plays that needed to be made in the most defining moments of the game. The dunk and finger wave vs Dikembe solidified his position on this list.

Tiger Woods: C'mon. Such dominance. Far and away the best golfer this world has ever seen. I believe we've only seen about half of what has yet to be seen of Tiger's rediculous career. The tour wins and majors records will be broken... just as soon as that knee heals.

Muhammad Ali: Favorite boxing match of all time: Ali vs Wepner. Classic! I love to watch his fights and the confidence he shows against his opponents. The way he controlled a fight is seen to seldom today. Though there are these two guys... Fedor and Anderson or something like that.

Roger Federer: Though not much of a tennis fan, I can't help but to notive this guy's in a lague of his own. Much like Tiger, he absolutely dominates what he does. Even with his nemesis Nadal's presence as of late, expect to recognize Federer as the greatest tennis player of all time when all is said and done.

Michael Phelps: Don't think I'm bandwaoggoning... I just think these past Olypics put him over the top. With a Gold in every event and a world record in all but one (still got Olympic record) of the 2008 Olympics, how can you say anything but. Thats what he's built to do and he does it well.

Watch out for King James to take over Jordan's spot at #1 by the end of his amazing career.

DJDark41
9/2/08 5:08:44PM

Posted by nastshabast

Just because he doesn't have any Cups doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic player. So if Ovechkin and Crosby don't win any Stanley Cups that automatically makes them suck? I'm willing to admit that within the next 5 years, Crosby and Malkin will win a Stanley Cup. Ovechkin however, doesn't have enough good players around him to win and I don't see him leaving Washington anytime soon. But one player alone CANNOT win a Stanley Cup, so how good a player is shouldn't be judged on the number of titles won.

And about Crosby having the scoring record if he played from '80-'00... He certainly would've been a 150+ points per season guy, but I dunno if he would've touched Gretzky. Back in the day it took alot of strength and grit to play. There was none of the gently skate up the ice and deke out one guy and get a breakaway. It was much rougher, and as we've seen, every little time Crosby gets bumped he goes down, and back in the day that wouldn't cut it. The refs would've completely ignored him, and Crosby would've been roughed up and there is no way he could've taken it. Sorry, I don't agree that he would be scoring leader if he played in that timeframe.
Boo_Radley21
9/2/08 7:00:59PM
1. Scott Stevens
2. Roy Jones Jr.
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Zdeno Chara
5. Marty Brodeur
DJDark41
9/2/08 7:46:31PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

1. Scott Stevens
2. Roy Jones Jr.
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Zdeno Chara
5. Marty Brodeur

Scott Stevens... just hearing that name brings me physical harm. He is, in all honesty, my second favorite player EVER. Coming from a Ranger fan thats almost sacreligious, but the man played the game like no one else. He is the reason for the phrase "Keep your head up." Brodeur, I can't dispute. The man is amazing, but unforunately for him the team playing in front of him hasn't been too good. Zdeno Chara though? Sure he's good, but I dunno if I would put him up there on the list of greats. I was actually upset when I went to a Rangers vs Boston game and Chara was scratched due to an injury. Was kinda anxious to see him play but didn't get the chance.
Boo_Radley21
9/2/08 7:49:17PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by Boo_Radley21

1. Scott Stevens
2. Roy Jones Jr.
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Zdeno Chara
5. Marty Brodeur

Scott Stevens... just hearing that name brings me physical harm. He is, in all honesty, my second favorite player EVER. Coming from a Ranger fan thats almost sacreligious, but the man played the game like no one else. He is the reason for the phrase "Keep your head up." Brodeur, I can't dispute. The man is amazing, but unforunately for him the team playing in front of him hasn't been too good. Zdeno Chara though? Sure he's good, but I dunno if I would put him up there on the list of greats. I was actually upset when I went to a Rangers vs Boston game and Chara was scratched due to an injury. Was kinda anxious to see him play but didn't get the chance.

Haha well I don't think he's one of the best of all time, but I do think he's good and I like him. He's not the best but he's fun to watch. And ****** eh, Stevens is the man.
iwannabesedated
9/2/08 7:52:53PM
Mario Lemieux
Jim Brown
Ali
Jordan
Ty Cobb

In any order...I guess you can argue Mario and Jim Brown with other guys from their sports...but its my list.
JukeboxJim
9/2/08 8:46:29PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by Boo_Radley21

1. Scott Stevens
2. Roy Jones Jr.
3. Alex Ovechkin
4. Zdeno Chara
5. Marty Brodeur

Haha well I don't think he's one of the best of all time, but I do think he's good and I like him. He's not the best but he's fun to watch. And ****** eh, Stevens is the man.

Brodeur's been my favourite goalie since he took over for Chris Terrerri back in the day. At that time, I had no idea Brodeur was good, I just loved giggling at Chris Terrerri's name so he was my favourite, Brodeur took his spot and I liked his helmet. But Brodeur is for sure going to finish top three all-time.

And Scott Stevens was such a nasty ************ I LOVED watching him play.
JukeboxJim
9/2/08 8:49:45PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by nastshabast

Just because he doesn't have any Cups doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic player. So if Ovechkin and Crosby don't win any Stanley Cups that automatically makes them suck? I'm willing to admit that within the next 5 years, Crosby and Malkin will win a Stanley Cup. Ovechkin however, doesn't have enough good players around him to win and I don't see him leaving Washington anytime soon. But one player alone CANNOT win a Stanley Cup, so how good a player is shouldn't be judged on the number of titles won.

And about Crosby having the scoring record if he played from '80-'00... He certainly would've been a 150+ points per season guy, but I dunno if he would've touched Gretzky. Back in the day it took alot of strength and grit to play. There was none of the gently skate up the ice and deke out one guy and get a breakaway. It was much rougher, and as we've seen, every little time Crosby gets bumped he goes down, and back in the day that wouldn't cut it. The refs would've completely ignored him, and Crosby would've been roughed up and there is no way he could've taken it. Sorry, I don't agree that he would be scoring leader if he played in that timeframe.

It's a pointless argument. The game has changed so much over the decades, it's unfair to really compare era to era.

Gretzky and Orr are probably the only two players, THUS FAR, who could've competed and succeeded in any era of hockey. They were head, shoulders, and torso above the other players in the league when they played. Ovechkin and Crosby aren't that much better than the competition. Maybe at some point they will dominate so drastically the way guys like Gretzky and Orr did, but it's yet to be seen.
Pages: 1 [2]