Nogueira's trainer: Sylvia Cheated

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nogueira's trainer: Sylvia Cheated
Next Page »
Manfred
2/7/08 11:44:24PM
LINK

Luiz Alves, the muy thai trainer for Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, was recently interviewed by the Brazilian news site tatame.com and has made some interesting remarks concerning “Big Nog’s” recent victory over Tim Sylvia. Alvez made the claim during his interview that “the Americans” were using baby cream which would not become slippery until it came in contact with sweat

If his claims are valid it will be interesting to see what course of action the UFC will take to punish this sort of behavior, or to prevent this sort of foul from being committed in the future.
ufcboss
2/7/08 11:54:25PM
Well he missed his neck I guess!

Seriously, Nog has nothing to gain from this so it must be true.
DevonFoxy
2/7/08 11:55:11PM
Wow if this is in fact true what a blow to Big Tim's rep. Hes already been caught cheating once and if this claim comes to fruition then the NSAC most likely will come down mighty hard on him.

Things just don't seem to be working in Tim's favor. You got to feel for the guy cause he tries so hard but it's hard to support a guy who feels like jabbing his way to a title defense is sufficient.

In the Big Nog fight I think we saw what happens when Tim tries to be "exciting" he makes mistakes and isn't enough of a well rounded fighter. This is just my opinion but when Tim tries to get fans he looses matches and when he Wins matches they are so boring and cautious he gets booed and looses fans.

I really hope we get to the bottom of this claim but its gonna be hard to find the truth I think.
SqWaGGy
2/8/08 12:06:18AM
I doubt there would be any way to provide any solid proof. Nothing that would get him in any hot water now. But it's something that the athletic commision should watch closely in his upcoming fights. Regardless if it's true or not, it's another blow to his reputation...something Tim could definitely have gone without
loller90278
2/8/08 12:11:22AM
"the american" powdered himself up and still tapped out "the american way" right after nog got the guillotine in?

war nog + okami.
cmill21
2/8/08 12:12:51AM
Well at least he's not saying that after a loss lol. I don't think theres any way to prove it, but it would have been a good idea, but it didn't work so...lol

EDIT: What is baby cream? I've heard of baby powder, not cream though.
Manfred
2/8/08 12:14:12AM
I thought Nog's double leg shots were so telegraphed, it wouldn't have mattered anyways. I kept screaming for him to go for a side trip (like at the end of round one)

Nog isn't known as a trash talker and he won so I tend to believe him. But like you guys said, I doubt they can prove it now.
Manfred
2/8/08 12:31:40AM

Posted by cmill21
EDIT: What is baby cream? I've heard of baby powder, not cream though.

I have kids. There is baby cream, lotion, gel, powder, oil, you name it, Johnson & Johnson has it.

But it was probably just a bad translation. I doubt it was baby oil, since that is greasy even when the skin is dry.
DevMahon
2/8/08 12:47:22AM
Obviously, I have no proof of this one way or another, but I have to say that it seems somewhat far-fetched. I have several points. . .

1) Fighters don't sit around backstage, they warm up, stretch, etc. all of which would cause someone to sweat. Not horribly, but if you had some sort of chemical agent that reacted with sweat, I'd imagine it would be hard to hide.

2) Nog did take Sylvia down twice (the first takedown didn't do anything because it was at the end of the round), and he did it with good takedowns. The failed shots weren't successful not because he was slipping off of Sylvia, but because they were sloppy attempts and Sylvia does have good takedown defense.

3) I doubt Sylvia would cheat again, knowing how little respect he gets from. . . everyone. If he was found out, it would make him a pariah forever.

4) He offers no proof at all (at least not any given in this article), and I'm not condemning any fighter, even Big Timmy, on someone's unsubstantiated word.
telnights
2/8/08 12:52:36AM
Its a little late to be bring this up. I wouldn't be shocked by it in fact I think there are a few fighters out there that are doing this. I will go as far to say I think Evans has done this. Both Tito, Bonnar, and one of the guys from TUF all said they think had some kind of lotion or oil on him.
loffspring
2/8/08 1:08:16AM
the title is really misleading, Nog's trainer never mentioned Tim
apparently the was told some "Americans" where using baby-cream
Manfred
2/8/08 1:14:22AM

Posted by loffspring

the title is really misleading, Nog's trainer never mentioned Tim
apparently the was told some "Americans" where using baby-cream

He was vague. But who else would Nog's trainer be talking about right after Nog / Sylvia??
RMFG_187
2/8/08 1:28:12AM
don't believe it, but only time will tell
Svartorm
2/8/08 2:29:26AM
I don't buy it, and heres why. Anyone that buys the UFC dvds knows they film the guys from in their hotel room, to the trip to the arena, to them warming up, to them walking into the octagon itself. If someone was sitting in their locker room smearing oil all over themselves, its on camera.

Thats how Akiyama got busted after his fight with Sakuraba, because they looked at the film they had of him and saw him greasing myself up.
mrsmiley
2/8/08 7:44:19AM
Isn't that the same reason why Sakuraba's fight with Akiyama was declared a no contest?Because he oiled his body prior to the fight?
cmill21
2/8/08 8:36:19AM
I guess since it's Nog trainer he could be speaking about anyone that any of his fighters has faced. Anderson, Vitor, the Nog's, Lyoto, Berreto, Nino, Rafeal or Filho.
stock
2/8/08 9:17:55AM

Posted by cmill21

I guess since it's Nog trainer he could be speaking about anyone that any of his fighters has faced. Anderson, Vitor, the Nog's, Lyoto, Berreto, Nino, Rafeal or Filho.

Yeah, it doesn't necessarily sound like they were trying to single Sylvia out, but just saying that American fighters do this type of thing.

This reminds me of when NFL running backs used to put vaseline on their jerseys back in the day.
Aaronno9
2/8/08 9:22:28AM

Posted by Svartorm

I don't buy it, and heres why. Anyone that buys the UFC dvds knows they film the guys from in their hotel room, to the trip to the arena, to them warming up, to them walking into the octagon itself. If someone was sitting in their locker room smearing oil all over themselves, its on camera.

Thats how Akiyama got busted after his fight with Sakuraba, because they looked at the film they had of him and saw him greasing myself up.

Also, If you watch the fight theres no take down attempts where nog just slips of tim, he held of for quite a long time on a few occasions aswell. Seems pretty out of character for nog to say somthing like this without any proof. I doubt anything will happen about it becouse like svartorm said, they record the fighters backstage so if tim was oiling up or whatever, theyd have it on film.
cowcatcher
2/8/08 10:04:14AM
tims not the fittest guy so im guessing his sweat has the consistancy of crisco and thats all it was.
atlas777
2/8/08 11:31:11AM
Doesnt matter what it was unless something drastic happens Tim will never get respect in this sport maybe he should go play basketball.
TNunley
2/8/08 11:41:14AM

Posted by Svartorm

I agree completely... although this is somewhat disturbing.

Why on earth was Akiyama greasing you up? You said, "and saw him greasing myself up. "

Just curious... unless this is similar to the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" motto.

-Edit-
Before you get all "I aint your pal, D***face." (That was your line from Bloodsport right?) Just wanted to say I was only playing... unless it's true and you want to share the story.

MMAnomale
2/8/08 1:49:26PM
He, Sylvia, can't be punished for this. This is one person's word vs. another's. However, they probably will now add regulations and have the regs watch closer, etc., but they didn't catch him "red-handed" so he won't get in any trouble, suspension, whatever. It's not like a urinalysis (drug screen) after the fight that comes back positive for a banned substance. They, UFC officials and owners, only have hearsay. They'll probably talk to Nog and Tim, and warn all of the fighters against this type of behavior and it'll all be over.
I agree with one of the early comments on this post that Big Nog has nothing to gain by saying all of this so it may be true. However, he might be trying to make himself look better for losing the first couple of rounds. However, they weren't really on the ground that much then, so that slippery crap doesn't much apply to the round he lost. Then again, maybe it did prevent him from doing some of the things he would've normally have done or tried. I don't know.
Svartorm
2/9/08 2:40:05AM

Posted by TNunley

Posted by Svartorm

I agree completely... although this is somewhat disturbing.

Why on earth was Akiyama greasing you up? You said, "and saw him greasing myself up. "

Just curious... unless this is similar to the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" motto.

-Edit-
Before you get all "I aint your pal, D***face." (That was your line from Bloodsport right?) Just wanted to say I was only playing... unless it's true and you want to share the story.

The story will be printed in this months issue of Penthouse Letters.
Rush
2/10/08 12:37:32AM
I'm not taking sides, but I really don't understand what Nog has to gain from this.

If it were a real problem during the fight the corner could have asked to check Tim in between rounds.
zephead
2/10/08 11:34:37AM
I've heard of sore losers, but sore winners
whardin19
2/10/08 1:42:52PM
Yeah I don't buy this either. I have bought UFC DVDs myself and they show everything on them until they get in the ring. Plus I don't think theres anyway to prove it happened now.
XblacksheepX
2/10/08 2:11:25PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Hes already been caught cheating once and if this claim comes to fruition then the NSAC most likely will come down mighty hard on him.

Just out of curiosity, how he cheated the first time?
Manfred
2/10/08 2:40:13PM

Posted by XblacksheepX

Posted by DevonFoxy

Hes already been caught cheating once and if this claim comes to fruition then the NSAC most likely will come down mighty hard on him.

Just out of curiosity, how he cheated the first time?

Popped for steroids. Tim maintains it was only to look more ripped and improve his physique
xenophon
3/1/08 2:40:55AM
This isn't the first time we've heard the "he was greased up" comment from someone who won. After his fight with Joe Doerksen at UFC 54, Matt Lindland made a remark to his corner to the same affect. I think that if you really believed it, you would have them checked out, it shouldn't be that hard with the cameras watching them and all.
KeNn
3/16/08 7:48:06PM
My bans up yahoo
Pages: [1] 2