Nogueira v. Kongo in December?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Nogueira v. Kongo in December?
Next Page »
DangerousDjohn
9/26/07 6:17:57PM
Kongo versus Nogueira?

I think this is how it should be...both deserving to be in this spot. Of course Nogueria would have the ground advantage and Kongo, the stand up, but Kongo will really have to work on the ground if he wants to last a round, much less actually compete. However, I really like Cheick and think he will make it a contest.
pv3Hpv3p
9/26/07 6:22:20PM
If Nog could handle the woopin Sapp gave him (not saying Sapps a great fighter or even on Kongo's level, but delivered Nog a woopin either way), and he could withstand CC's first round onslaught... I think he could weather any storm that Kongo brings his way...

Big Nog by armbar, second round
SteedTheDeed
9/26/07 6:25:40PM
rodrigos last fight wasn't very impressive, heath almost had him ko'ed and kongo is a much better striker than heath. maybe another former pride star upset?
Kastro
9/26/07 6:41:21PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

If Nog could handle the woopin Sapp gave him (not saying Sapps a great fighter or even on Kongo's level, but delivered Nog a woopin either way), and he could withstand CC's first round onslaught... I think he could weather any storm that Kongo brings his way...

Big Nog by armbar, second round

Agree with you here..

Noguiera is a veteran, also one of the top ranked fighters... he is one of the few from Pride that I really see making a big impact here..

Noguiera is going to beat Kongo.
TheHitmanTL
9/26/07 6:51:19PM
kongo takes it by tko then fights randy and gets pwnedd
hook_tothe_body
9/26/07 6:56:52PM

Posted by SteedTheDeed

rodrigos last fight wasn't very impressive, heath almost had him ko'ed and kongo is a much better striker than heath. maybe another former pride star upset?

I wasn't as impressed with Nogueiras UFC debut as I usually am when I watch a Nogueira fight from PRIDE, but I wouldn't say that his performance against Heath Herring wasn't impressive. Sure he got caught with a high kick and almost lost the fight, then needed to take the rest of the round to recover, but anyone can get caught.

He showed great boxing in that fight. I loved watching the submission master show great boxing skills and out strike a powerful striker in Herring.

There is no way that if this Kongo/Nogueira fight was set up that I would bet against Nogueira.
NatedawgThaM
9/26/07 6:59:19PM
Kongo will get killed....

Unlike Cro Cop Big Nog favors a cage via grappling and will out strike him and submit him in the 1st or second...
Twenty20Dollars
9/26/07 7:10:40PM
Kongo needs to keep his distance in the middle of the ring and then just outstrike him and then work those knees from the clinch and most likely avoid the ground. unless he's on the top position for G'n'P
nickcuc547
9/26/07 7:36:46PM
bad matchup for kongo, nog is the best hw grappler and kongo still needs a lot of work in that area, i think nog will beat him rather easily because of the matchup. cro cop was a good matchup for him but nog is a nightmare matchup for him.
hook_tothe_body
9/26/07 8:14:18PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Kongo needs to keep his distance in the middle of the ring and then just outstrike him and then work those knees from the clinch and most likely avoid the ground. unless he's on the top position for G'n'P

You're right. This is the only way I see Kongo even getting close to winning this fight. But if Kongo goes punch for punch with Nogueira I think that Minotauro will eventually get the upper hand. Nogueira looks to be a better boxer in terms of speed, technique and footwork.

But if Kongo does what he did against Mirko, I think it would work for a while. I just think Nogueira is better on the ground and on the feet. So wherever this fight goes Nogueira will get the upper hand, and Kongo wont be able to do anything but clinch. Then he might get taken down/tapped out.

Also, if Kongo workedt he GnP, there is a good chance he would get tapped out if he can't pass Nogueiras guard.
cmill21
9/26/07 11:31:54PM
This is a fight between arguably the best BJJ guy in the HW div vs. a guy who was mounted by Cro Cop....
loonytnt
9/27/07 12:31:28AM
kongo is going get taped any round nog wants to imo
cmill21
9/27/07 12:42:38AM
And nog's got solid boxing so i dunno. I don't think this is a smart fight for kongo to take unless he really thinks he's a good wrestler lol.
jgtribbett
9/27/07 8:05:37AM

Posted by DangerousDjohn

Kongo versus Nogueira?

I think this is how it should be...both deserving to be in this spot. Of course Nogueria would have the ground advantage and Kongo, the stand up, but Kongo will really have to work on the ground if he wants to last a round, much less actually compete. However, I really like Cheick and think he will make it a contest.

i agree on both plans. i can see him pounding on nog a big. but!!!!! anyone who has watched nog knows he has a great chin... there have been "almosts" in his career.. but still.. a great chin
and on top of that.. i dont see cheick being able to stay away from nog's subs.
if nog can tap coleman... he can tap kongo
DCRage
9/27/07 9:04:58AM
If it's mostly standup, Kongo has a decent chance. On the ground, Nog takes it. Now of course if Couture comes along and says he think Kongo will win, then that's it, all bets are off. We all know not to bet against Couture.
garrick
9/27/07 10:27:36AM

Posted by DCRage

If it's mostly standup, Kongo has a decent chance. On the ground, Nog takes it. Now of course if Couture comes along and says he think Kongo will win, then that's it, all bets are off. We all know not to bet against Couture.

True dat
JWils
9/27/07 12:21:55PM
I'm pretty much with everyone else on this one. Kongo just can't compete with Nog on the ground. If Kongo gets taken down, Nog will finish him fairly quickly.

Nog/1st round Submission. (but the way my picks have been going, Kongo will win by Unanimous Decision)
mrsmiley
9/27/07 5:24:24PM
I'm saying Kongo by TKO in round 2.
hook_tothe_body
9/27/07 5:34:57PM

Posted by cmill21

This is a fight between arguably the best BJJ guy in the HW div vs. a guy who was mounted by Cro Cop....

Exactly. You're exactly right.

End thread right there.
cmill21
9/27/07 5:45:57PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Nog is very hard to tko or Ko, if your set on kongo then pick him by UD. Keep in mind he coulden't finish Cro Cop who had broken ribs and sore balls.
chickmagnet
9/28/07 12:35:54AM
Big nog will finish him very early in this fight via submission(no doubt)
OchoCinco
9/28/07 12:54:04AM
CK has no ground game Big Nog will smash him.
MMA
9/28/07 9:20:36AM
Unless Nog decides to stand with Kongo, this fight should end via submission in the 1st round. Kongo's ground game still has too many holes in it.
Great-Ajax
9/28/07 1:23:09PM
kongo is only an inch tall that nog so I dont think size will be that much of a factor
BigEvil
9/28/07 2:46:40PM

Posted by garrick

Posted by DCRage

True dat

Yeah whatever Couture says he's the Cleo the psychic of MMA at this point
nubby
9/28/07 3:12:23PM
I have a feeling that Congo is going to be working his ground game heavily for this fight. Specifically I would expect to see some sweep attempts that might give Congo just the chance he needs to keep the fight standing. Something about Ibarra's camp has me thinking upset. No no no, I have to go with Nogueira here. The only way I see Congo winning is with a really strong first round where he KO's or nearly KO's Nogueira.

jgtribbett
9/28/07 3:17:39PM

Posted by JWils

I'm pretty much with everyone else on this one. Kongo just can't compete with Nog on the ground. If Kongo gets taken down, Nog will finish him fairly quickly.

Nog/1st round Submission. (but the way my picks have been going, Kongo will win by Unanimous Decision)

hahahhahha yeah i feal you on that one
Azzkiker
9/28/07 8:33:40PM
Kongo is an amazingly strong and freakish human. But Big Nog has mad ground skills. Kongo might put up a fight in round 1 but i dont seem him making it out of round 2.
mkiv9secsupra
9/28/07 8:45:33PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mrsmiley

Nog is very hard to tko or Ko, if your set on kongo then pick him by UD. Keep in mind he coulden't finish Cro Cop who had broken ribs and sore balls.

There are a few thing guranteed in MMA:

1.Arona isn't getting subbed.
2.Matt Serra will always be a jackass.
3.Sherk is going to win via UD.
4.Coleman is going to gas.
5.You can't KO "Minotauro" Nogueira
cmill21
9/28/07 9:31:31PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mrsmiley

There are a few thing guranteed in MMA:

1.Arona isn't getting subbed.
2.Matt Serra will always be a jackass.
3.Sherk is going to win via UD.
4.Coleman is going to gas.
5.You can't KO "Minotauro" Nogueira

Add in you can't KO hunt lol.
Pages: [1] 2