Nogueira’s coach: “Couture has no punch”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nogueira’s coach: “Couture has no punch”
SmileR
8/23/09 8:00:00AM
“We think that Couture will fight standing against him, and Rodrigo thinks that too. Rodrigo is 100% prepared standing. I always said that this fight were good to Rodrigo, because Couture has no punch to knock him out, and Rodrigo boxes better than him… Rodrigo is prepared in the ground too and will work to submit, because Rodrigo has everything to submit him”, explained the coach. “Our strategy is stay away from the fence”.

– Luiz Alves, the Muay Thai coach for Antonio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira, tells Tatame.com that his fighter is set to stand and trade with Randy Couture at UFC 102 because the “Natural” doesn’t pack much heat on his feet. He may be right — Couture doesn’t have a clean knockout on his resume in 25 career fights. But that hasn’t necessarily stopped him from handling (and defeating) the big dogs, including Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Pedro Rizzo and Kevin Randleman, among others. Will he add “Big Nog” to that list on Aug. 29? For the record: Nogueira has one knockout, and just one technical knockout, in 37 career fights.

Link
mshalosky
8/23/09 9:23:45AM
Neither one of them have ko power this will be a decision win for couture by takedowns and more technical boxing.
ncordless
8/23/09 10:17:37AM
“Our strategy is stay away from the fence”.

It actually sounds like Nog's camp is on the money. I don't know for sure that Nog's hands are really better than Couture's, but staying off the fence would be huge as it would take away Couture's control.
team_demon_fighter
8/23/09 10:50:27AM
i dont think nogs hands are better at all. i think randy is more techinical eveywhere in striking, clinch, wrestling. only thing nog may be better at is jui jitsu itself, and i stil dont see him subbing randy at all. so randy will obviously be a winner here. an most likely by "UD" unless a good punch makes it a "tko" from ground n pound.
TimW001
8/23/09 12:45:33PM

Posted by mshalosky

Neither one of them have ko power this will be a decision win for couture by takedowns and more technical boxing.

I completely agree.
BigBadAl
8/23/09 1:16:36PM
Nog's striking did not look that great against Mir so I don't know about him having better hands than Randy. The KO record speaks for itself. Neither have real KO power so this will be about who can impose thier will and break the other fighter. Nog will not go down easily so I see this as a UD in Randys favour.

Keep away from the fence....It always suprises me when camps come up with a game plan then gives it to the opponent.
telnights
8/23/09 1:21:37PM
I dont see either one having real power but randy's stand up is much better than Nog's. Nog has 0 head movement and his footwork is very lacking as well. Randy doesnt have KO power but he does have good footwork and good head movement. I don't see Nog subbing Randy, but I think its smart of Nog to avoid the fence as much as he can but I dont think it will will change the outcome which is Randy by UD.
postman
8/23/09 2:43:25PM
Mir is the only person to ever have the Punch to ko Nog.
xdanish020
8/23/09 2:44:43PM
He might not have a punch, but he will have much better cardio conditioning than Nog who has really shown his age in his past few fights in the UFC.
gartface
8/23/09 2:48:42PM
Didn't he rock Tim Sylvia big time? Didn't he end up getting a tko on Gabe Gonzaga? Maybe he doesn't have straight boxing ko power, but he can take the fight to different spots and finish it with his hands, no question.
Nightmare27
8/23/09 3:38:30PM
I read on bloodyelbow that there are rumors going around saying that Nog has been getting KO'd in sparring. Not a good sign. It doesnt matter if what his coach thinks if that sort of thing has been going on. MMA gloves are way different than your average 16oz boxing gloves.
Boo_Radley21
8/23/09 3:52:33PM

Posted by ncordless

“Our strategy is stay away from the fence”.

It actually sounds like Nog's camp is on the money. I don't know for sure that Nog's hands are really better than Couture's, but staying off the fence would be huge as it would take away Couture's control.

Everyone wants to stay away from the fence against Couture, it doesn't mean it's gonna happen.
scobac
8/23/09 4:20:17PM
I guess randy should come out and say "Im going to avoid submissions". Why bother to state the obvious. Neither of them have shown much in way of knock out power but I would bet Randy hits harder and Im sure he has the more technical boxing.
jae_1833
8/23/09 4:24:30PM

Oh, and nice AV princess!

What bet did you lose?
scobac
8/23/09 4:43:32PM

Posted by jae_1833

Oh, and nice AV princess!

What bet did you lose?

I picked this avatar, you dont like it?

not really, I was going to stop posting untill I got my avatar back (maybe I should have)

I picked Cramer over Riddle, I will think twice before I make a bet like that again.
Aaronno9
8/23/09 7:20:58PM
Tell that to Tim Sylvia.
Sir_Karl
8/23/09 7:41:47PM
Well I sure hope Nog brings more to the table against Couture than he did against Mir. Nog was in outerspace in the Mir fight. He looked like a confused old man.
prozacnation1978
8/23/09 7:49:01PM
i don't know about that, randy has dirty boxing, andbig nog won't ko randy, he could submit him, but i do think alot of clinch against the cage will be a factor, i see decision either way
Pookie
8/24/09 12:32:10AM
In a straight boxing match, for sure nog has the better hands especially when fighting a fighter who likes to weave in to strike without much power. I think Coutures stand-up is being a bit overrated here, although in the clinch he should be able to secure a victory in a 3 round fight.

But with Randy's reflexes fading with age and the fact that nog throws lots of accurate punches i fear that Couture could get caught on the outside while coming in, by a fighter with much longer arms than him.