Nogueira Addresses KO; Talks Fight Against Couture

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nogueira Addresses KO; Talks Fight Against Couture
Wolfenstein
12/28/08 8:31:26PM
"It was the first knockout of my career, said the ever-gracious Nogueira at the post fight press conference. "I feel like I didn't fight well tonight; I didn't fight my distance. He had a great fight tonight. He was a great fighter. He had better distance than me, he had some good shots at the beginning of the fight that changed everything I was planning. He's just great, he had a great night tonight and fought very good... he threw some strong hands.

Nogueira was a bit somber, but appeared in good spirits following the fight; stating that he's committed to improving his game and insisting that he'll come back stronger and faster.

As for an upcoming opponent? How about Randy Couture?

"Yep. For sure I would accept this fight against Randy Couture," Nogueira said. "He's a great fighter. He just lost his last match but he's a true legend in this sport and I'd love to fight him. It would be a good promotion; we're both very experienced fighters and it would be a nice match."

link
The-Don
12/28/08 8:48:48PM
Nog and Couture would be a great co main event to Mir Lesnar 2.
ohiostate1016
12/28/08 8:56:07PM
I think that it's pretty obvious that the UFC needs to make this fight happen. Legend vs. Legend. PRIDE vs. UFC. Nog...vs....RANDY!!!!
Manak
12/28/08 9:00:09PM
This fight needs to happened. It should have happened along time ago
Mhunt1140
12/28/08 9:48:26PM
I agree, I will go as far as to say that this fight must happen. It would be just another showcase of the UFC vs. Pride. Two legends, two of the most respected fighters, and arguably two of the top heavyweights of all time against each other. This would be a great fight and not to mention and amazing marketing tool for the UFC.
The-Don
12/28/08 9:54:33PM
yea it would... If Randy could somehow beat Nog buy T/KO something Fedor was not able to do it could still fuel the hype for a fight between Randy and Fedor.. not that I really think Randy has a chance there now.. maybe he did a few years ago. And if Nog demolishes Randy It shows he has no place in the Ring with Fedor. of course that is all MMath and we all know anything can happen.. Like Nog Getting TKO'ed by Mir.. I think Mir was just as surprised as the rest of us. You could see Mir's game plan was to just keep moving in and out and keeping the fight on its feet as much as possible as I think he was just trying to win rounds to go for the decision and when the situation presented it self Mir just reacted.
Jackelope
12/28/08 9:56:35PM
Before the Nog vs. Timmah fight I would say this would showcase UFC vs. Pride perfectly. However, now it's obvious that Nog may be getting punched out. I can't put the weight on this matchup that I would have a year ago.
Shawn17
12/29/08 12:57:59AM
nog is all done. randy will retire him if he brings the same striking game he did against Mir.
cmill21
12/29/08 1:08:47AM

Posted by Shawn17

nog is all done. randy will retire him if he brings the same striking game he did against Mir.

Thats what shocked me the most, Nog is a much better boxer then he showed, I'm really surprised that he looked like that.
SpiderSilva
12/29/08 1:20:10AM
I don't think he wated to stand and thought Mir would tangle with him on the ground so he game plan was all messed up do to that
prozacnation1978
12/29/08 1:31:39AM
i think fight will happen in june in germany or saved for ufc 100 card
BIGKAT
12/29/08 1:49:59AM
"I feel like I didn't fight well tonight; "

Really!?

LL
BIGKAT
12/29/08 1:52:22AM

Posted by The-Don

Why would anyone care about a Couture - Nog fight at this point in the game? Would be somewhat like watching two old dudes wrestle for the last tube of BenGay creme
ChokeUout
12/29/08 3:26:57AM

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by The-Don

Why would anyone care about a Couture - Nog fight at this point in the game? Would be somewhat like watching two old dudes wrestle for the last tube of BenGay creme

Kpro
12/29/08 3:29:06AM
<333333333333333333
The-Don
12/29/08 3:33:01AM

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by The-Don

Nog has one bad fight and suddenly he is washed up??? A couple of months ago people were saying Mir was washed up he beat Lesnar and Nog.. and the latter in a convincing fashion. No excuses there He beat Nog. OH no.. Nog Lost.. Big deal.. he has lost before... OH no Randy Lost... He has lost before.. Randy looked damn good in that fight with Lesnar he just got caught... It happens its called MMA... Nog had a bad show.. Big deal how many great ones did he have? they may not be quite in thier primes.. but Both are still relevant.. Until they lose 4 or 5 in a row and are beat by guys like Tank and Kimbo then call them washed up. Nog lost to Mir who looked better that night then I think he ever looked. His stand up was tight. Nog looked like he was trying to lure him into a ground game and Mir backed off a couple of times and made the ref stand it up. 3 months ago everyone was saying it was going to be Nog and Randy for the title.. just because they got beat they are suddenly washed up? talk about fair weather fans. In the situation that was created it is only natural that in this 4 man tourney that was created the two losers would face each other.. both coming off of a loss have something to prove. This could be a great fight. Even the one who loses could not be counted out these 4 are probably the top HW's in the UFC. Then mix guys like Kongo and some of the others into the mix. the UFC HW division while not overly deep is looking exciting.
telnights
12/29/08 4:47:05AM
I don't think Nog is washed up at all but I don't think he is the Nog of old. Now saying that I still feel Nog is a top 10 HW and could cause problems for anyone. You have to give credit were it is due. Mir came in with a good game plan and his stand up looked better than it ever has. His hands were very fast, hard, and accurate. The problem was Mir had faster hands and was pulling the trigger before Nog every time. Mir would have given any UFC HW a run for their money that night. Now lets see if MIr can keep it up and see if Nog can get over the loss and come back fighting like the Nog he was in Pride.
ziegler3334
12/29/08 10:00:41AM
This might not be the fight it once was (nog v randy), but it would still be a great one to see. Its the obvious matchup for either guy to jump back into a title shot. I think it will be saved for UFC 100 in order to better celebrate the career of both fighters, which will in turn promote the fight more.
ncordless
12/29/08 11:37:24AM
I like this fight. However, it does bring up some of the problems with this sport. This fight should have happened 8 years ago and again 2 years ago.
keith-hackney1
12/29/08 12:13:58PM

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by The-Don

Do you idiots even know who Nog is ??? He aint no old dude, he's been considered as the number two HW in the world for the last some 5/6 years.
Nog will be back, and he will hold that belt, i bet you all !!!
mrsmiley
12/29/08 12:23:48PM
Hard match to call.
I slightly give it to Nog at the moment though.
Unless Randy can come out with a standup game like Mir did,I think Randy is going to do exactly what Nog wants him to.
clintjack
12/29/08 12:51:27PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Hard match to call.
I slightly give it to Nog at the moment though.
Unless Randy can come out with a standup game like Mir did,I think Randy is going to do exactly what Nog wants him to.

Did you just say Randy is going to do exactly what Nog wants him to?
I think it will be the other way around. Nobody makes Randy do what he doesn't want to do.
The-Don
12/29/08 10:52:42PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by BIGKAT

Posted by The-Don

Do you idiots even know who Nog is ??? He aint no old dude, he's been considered as the number two HW in the world for the last some 5/6 years.
Nog will be back, and he will hold that belt, i bet you all !!!

Now I hope you were not calling me an idiot. if you read what i said it is simply his next opponent should be Randy as they were both the losers in this little mini tournament. if you were referring to the other guy.. well read up for my thoughts there.
breakdown5
12/29/08 11:16:58PM
I like this fight. Way better than the lame idea of Chuck vs. Randy 4. I'm glad that this is the fight that is being talked about for Randy. Good matchup for sure.