How is Nog getting the shaft?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How is Nog getting the shaft?
MFOTHER
9/2/08 9:22:51PM
I keep hearing Nog is getting screwed but i just dont get it.

He is still the interm champion, and gets a shot at Randy or Brock.

A) People say he should fight Randy first and Brock doesn't deserve it after one win.
Nog got his title shot after one win (in the UFC) and he almost lost in the first round. Brock is a big name, and dominated a game HH in surprising fashoin.

B) He is getting tons of exposure and name recognition from TUF which makes an mma legend more accessible to the casual fan ( great timing for him as he just opened a training center in miami with anderson, who with machida are supposed to pop on the show here and there as back up coaches). If they changed the finale which has been announced and hyped for months (and will just be more when the show starts) wouldn't be a smart move.

C) If he beats Mir he more than likely would have had to fight Brock or Werdum for his next fight (assuming the both won their next fight), since the division is so slim.

So Nog either looses to Mir, which was a fight thats been planned for months.

Wins, and will get the Randy fight, that everyone says he deserves anyway.

Or he wins and fights Brock (which beating Randy would prove he's a serious contender) and would happen eventually.

Why is he getting "screwed without lube" etc etc?

Not tryin to be a dick, maybe im just not seeing an angle?
nickcuc547
9/2/08 9:29:02PM
agree, people just love to bitch, but the fact of the matter is brock is a beast and is the most marketable guy they have. werdum may deserve a title shot more but nobody knows who he is outside of these web sites. the four guys in the tournament are all big names and are all good fighters, as much as everybody hates to admit it, it's all about the money and these guys will bring the ufc more money. you can complain all you want but if you were dana white you would do the exact same thing.
Twenty20Dollars
9/2/08 9:30:23PM
Big Nog can't fight couture just yet for the title because then TUF 8 coach thing would kinda be pointless.

Big nog isnt getting the shaft he's going to be facing the best, the opposing coach on TUF Frank Mir, and then the winner of couture/lesnar and then if big nog keeps winning and werdum beats that one guy he will face him.
Aether
9/3/08 12:26:32AM
Because now he needs to win twice in order to get the title. Had Randy not come back with the belt his fight against Mir would have been for the official title. Now he has to go through this entire TUF thing for no real reason at all. He has to beat Mir AND the winner of couture/lesnar to be considered the champion even though he just won the interim title. His title is basically being erased. His Mir fight is basically just a number 1 contender fight now.
TimW001
9/3/08 12:56:26AM

Posted by nickcuc547

agree, people just love to bitch, but the fact of the matter is brock is a beast and is the most marketable guy they have. werdum may deserve a title shot more but nobody knows who he is outside of these web sites. the four guys in the tournament are all big names and are all good fighters, as much as everybody hates to admit it, it's all about the money and these guys will bring the ufc more money. you can complain all you want but if you were dana white you would do the exact same thing.

Exactly. And we're still seeing great fights! And in time we wil see the best fights.
cmill21
9/3/08 1:04:56AM
He's getting the shaft because Randy should have fought him after he beat big tim. Randy disrespected Nog by saying the only fight worth his time was Fedor, well I guess Fedor, Brock and two other UFC fighters.
fonduktoe
9/3/08 1:47:17AM
i agree that randy disrespected nog (and hopefully we'll still see that fight)
the circumstances of the hw division are pretty f'ed up with randy's return and the obligatory tuf layoff for nog
neither mir or lesnar really deserve title shots and having a title shot in the first place with the interim champ on the sidelines seems weird but if you look at the timeline there's not much to be done about it
i wouldn't be surprised if after this whole fiasco lesnar is the undisputed hw champ
pretty silly, huh
Pookie
9/3/08 2:10:21AM
I he's getting the shaft for a few reasons -

He puts himself into a position where he gets to fight for the Championship and the Champions ducks him, then beats the guy who the champion beat to become champion, but he still only the Interim champ, because the UFC decided to keep couture as champion so that it would be harder to get out of the contract. Then when he comes back he gets to fight someone other than the champion to hold the Championship belt. While Nog only gets to fight for the interim championship belt, and this is even after news broke that Nog was fighting Mir for the True championship belt.
So instead of rewarding the man who has paid his dues to be champ while doing everything he could to become by naming him champion, they reward the guy that cut out and left the division in shambles, skipped his toughest challenges as champ and has done nothing for the sport in a year over just a little bit more money.

Couture should be stripped of the title, or he should have to fight nog immediately. But because the latter is impossible, the former should be put into place or they are just flat out disrespecting nogueria.

Pookie
9/3/08 2:11:36AM

Posted by cmill21

He's getting the shaft because Randy should have fought him after he beat big tim. Randy disrespected Nog by saying the only fight worth his time was Fedor, well I guess Fedor, Brock and two other UFC fighters.

Didnt even read this post, you summed up my statement perfectly while typing less yet saying more . Got to spread the love though
cowcatcher
9/3/08 8:22:48AM
what do you people that are saying hes getting the shaft want? we get twice the HW matchups that matter for our money at a time where the HW division was getting very uninteresting. nog is a warrior and champion and would have had to fight lesnar or randy eventually anyways, interm champ or otherwise. im not in nogs head or anything, but im guessing hes going to welcome the competition, hes a fighter in the truest sense of the word and as ric flair said so many times, to be the man youve got to beat the man, or in this case if lesnar wins, the man that beat the man. nogs not going to be at home biting his pillow, so theres no reason to cry for him, hes going to get to prove that he should be the champ beyond a shadow of a doubt, its just going to take one more fight, and its going to be a fun ride getting there as a fan.
Jackelope
9/3/08 8:30:52AM

Posted by cowcatcher

what do you people that are saying hes getting the shaft want? we get twice the HW matchups that matter for our money at a time where the HW division was getting very uninteresting. nog is a warrior and champion and would have had to fight lesnar or randy eventually anyways, interm champ or otherwise. im not in nogs head or anything, but im guessing hes going to welcome the competition, hes a fighter in the truest sense of the word and as ric flair said so many times, to be the man youve got to beat the man, or in this case if lesnar wins, the man that beat the man. nogs not going to be at home biting his pillow, so theres no reason to cry for him, hes going to get to prove that he should be the champ beyond a shadow of a doubt, its just going to take one more fight, and its going to be a fun ride getting there as a fan.

Agreed. However, Nog's win over Sylvia, Mir, Lesnar and Couture should all count as the title win, then 3 defenses So he's still getting the shaft
VictimSix
9/3/08 8:49:45AM
I could kinda care less about the hw div but how can anyone say Nog isn't getting bent over by the UFC. Dana White put the UFC belt around Nog's waist and made it nice and snug. Nogs next fight should be either him defending the belt or fighting for the actual title.

Also Brock getting a shot at Randy is just insane. Brock could be as marketable as Brad Pitt for all I care but it dosn't make it right that a 2-1 fighter is getting a fight like this.

Whats awesome though is that Nog probably could care less about the situation. As long as the UFC puts someone infront of him that is top notch and is coming for blood I'm sure he's more then happy.

what do you people that are saying hes getting the shaft want?

The interim Champion to fight the Champion.
cowcatcher
9/3/08 9:18:53AM

Posted by VictimSix

what do you people that are saying hes getting the shaft want?

The interim Champion to fight the Champion.

so you want them to cancel the nog mir fight that will be hyped for weeks on TUF? come on man, you cant possibly think that that could happen, its just silly. also they arent going to have randy sit for months after resigning him, the guy isnt gtting any younger and has to get into the cage 3 more times, so he has to fight asap, and who else is out there in the HW division that doesnt have an upcoming fight or an injury? the UFC is doing the best possible thing here given the matchups already signed and the timing of randy re-signing. heres an idea: youre a fan, so sit back and enjoy the next few months because the HW division is getting some relevance back, and you will get to see the interm champ vs the champ that we all want to see in just a few more months.
MFOTHER
9/3/08 9:20:23AM

Posted by cowcatcher

thank you.
I bet Nog could care less, and i'm hoping for an interview this weekend (assuming they are in atlanta to hype up TUF) or soon after to confirm.
nickcuc547
9/3/08 10:34:39AM
wah, nog my pride hero is getting a tough road to the real title, wah how can they do this to the second best pride fighter of all time, wah pride is dead and i'm in denial that the ufc is better.

the fact is i'm happy we get to see three great fights no matter who wins, and chances are nog comes out of this the champ. who cares who has what on paper, the real heavyweight champ will be decided at the end of all this. life's not fair brock is a beast and brings in big bucks, until you have control of that amount of money you can't say you would put werdum in when you know he will sell half as many ppv's.
VictimSix
9/3/08 12:00:22PM

what do you people that are saying hes getting the shaft want
so you want them to cancel the nog mir fight that will be hyped for weeks on TUF? come on man, you cant possibly think that that could happen, its just silly. also they arent going to have randy sit for months after resigning him, the guy isnt gtting any younger and has to get into the cage 3 more times, so he has to fight asap, and who else is out there in the HW division that doesnt have an upcoming fight or an injury? the UFC is doing the best possible thing here given the matchups already signed and the timing of randy re-signing. heres an idea: youre a fan, so sit back and enjoy the next few months because the HW division is getting some relevance back, and you will get to see the interm champ vs the champ that we all want to see in just a few more months.

For the sake of argument and my contempt for Randy at the moment I'll say this. Have the Nog/Mir fight just have it for the title and let Randy fight Brock for a shot. A few months ago he wasn't interested in defending his title and now he just gets to waltz in the title picture again. Bj Penn didn't get to come back with his title after a contract dispute.

I'm half kidding. Plus I don't care about titles and what the UFC is doing is the best realistic way of handling the situation but it dosn't mean it's fair. Even if they sell a billion ppv's and we have a few decent hw fights it still dosn't mean Nog didn't get boned out of this whole Randy ordeal.
cowcatcher
9/3/08 12:09:05PM
i see what youre saying, but randy was never stripped of the title so hes still the champ. theres not much else to do other than what the ufc brass has come up with so im fine with it. and lets face it, the guys that win these 2 matches to set up the unification bout will deserve to be there. if brock beats randy hes proven himself in my eyes, same with mir. randy wins and he did what he was supposed to, same goes for nog. so in the end everyone will be happy unless there is a horrible decision or stoppage, but for now i dont think anyone is getting shafted, to me its more like everyone involved is having to prove their claim to be the champ.
cmill21
9/3/08 1:28:23PM
This is the right thing to do now I guess, but it should be Werdum instead of Lesnar(obvious money grab) and Couture should have fought Nog 7 months ago instead of crying to fight Fedor only to come back with one more fight then he left with. The UFC and Couture are kidding themselves if they think they can sign Fedor. Couture will have to lose before thats even possible, then they will have to convince Affliction to let Fedor fight in the UFC(so Dana will have to give up something to them, haha) and after all that they will have to give Fedor the biggest stage to show case his talent and quite possibly steal everything away from the UFC's HW div, only to walk away and take alot of fans with him.