Ninja or Shogun: Who's Better?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Ninja or Shogun: Who's Better?
POLL: Shogun or Ninja: Whos better?
Shogun 80% (28)
Ninja 0% (0)
Too close to call 11% (4)
Who cares? 9% (3)
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/08 7:01:42PM
I have pondered this for quite a few months now. Who is the better fighter of the two? Who is the more well rounded?

Ninja: Good striker, good takedowns/wrestling, good BJJ, good stamina.
Ninja had a very good showing against Henderson and even though he dominated 2 rounds and outgrappled an olympic wrestler and he still lost the decision.

Shogun: Great striker, poor takedowns/wrestling, good BJJ, good stamina.
Shogun dominated Rampage, ranked by many as the number one LHW.

They are very similar with Shogun prefering the standup and Ninja prefering the ground game. But i firmly believe that Ninja is the better fighter and the more well rounded fighter. Ninja is one of the few guys id pick to defeat Anderson Silva.

What is everyone elses oppinion on these two in comparison?
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/08 8:08:08PM
I see a bit of Shogun votes but no explanation to the reasoning....

Shogun cant KO ninja(Randleman couldnt KO him after a lot of clean hits) but Ninja can GnP and dominate on the ground.....how can Shogun be better?
bls1919
3/30/08 2:24:12AM
IDK about this one. I've seen more of Ninjas fight and like him better. But Shogun has the better "name" ...not referencing the nicknames. i do know that i cant wait until the Ninja vs baroni fight on the first EliteXC card on CBS. Should be a barn burner
Kpro
3/30/08 2:25:49AM
with or without drug testing?

ZING!
Kpro
3/30/08 2:28:50AM
Shogun has the better chin.
cmill21
3/30/08 2:34:03AM
I'd say shogun is much better and more well rounded. He has great striking as you said but I think his trip takedowns are pretty good. I think they are both very good fighters and I hope Ninja starts showing what he can do and I hope Shogun gets healthy.
WhiteWidow
3/30/08 5:57:40AM
ninja has pretty such said in so many words that shogun is better, so i'll take his word for it if not for the fact that he is the better one all around
ICSlegend
3/30/08 8:46:47AM
Let's not forget Ninja's "victory" over Rampage. The judges might not have thought he won, but everyone who had their blindfolds off did (including Rampage).

I'd say they're pretty even.
Pookie
3/30/08 7:15:44PM
Shogun is by far the more talented fighter.

Better stand-up by more than can be explained on the internet, a much better chin, much better cardio, smarter fighter, more explosive, more knockout power, and has more potential.

Ninja doesnt really have all that great of cardio, he might be better on the ground... i say might because shogun hasnt really been tested on the ground while 100%. And i wouldnt say his ability to take it to the ground is much better than shoguns at all.

Shogun is an A-Class fighter
Ninja is a C-Class fighter, maybe C+
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/30/08 7:54:58PM
Shogun by a mile
Rush
3/30/08 8:12:25PM
With the exception of his fight with Forrest, Shogun is a much more consistent fighter than Ninja (and I'm not holding Shogun's UFC fight against him).

Ninja's work ethic has been questioned and he seems to have losing streaks almost as big as his winning streaks. I thought he was robbed against Henderson, but as I mentioned to someone earlier, beating one top 10 guy does not make you a top 10 ranked fighter in my rankings.

I also feel Shogun has beat a more broader range of fighters that include great submission artists, wrestlers and strikers.

Pookie, I don't agree that Ninja is a C+ level fighter. I give him a B or B+
Pookie
3/30/08 8:21:40PM

Posted by Rush

With the exception of his fight with Forrest, Shogun is a much more consistent fighter than Ninja (and I'm not holding Shogun's UFC fight against him).

Ninja's work ethic has been questioned and he seems to have losing streaks almost as big as his winning streaks. I thought he was robbed against Henderson, but as I mentioned to someone earlier, beating one top 10 guy does not make you a top 10 ranked fighter in my rankings.

I also feel Shogun has beat a more broader range of fighters that include great submission artists, wrestlers and strikers.

Pookie, I don't agree that Ninja is a C+ level fighter. I give him a B or B+

Its probably just what we feel the letter grade represents, but to me B and B+ in the MW division would be Yushin okami and Nate marquardt, that level of competition.
NatedawgThaM
3/30/08 8:29:52PM
Shogun's better on the feet, Ninja is probably better on the ground so it comes down to all the little things and Shogun takes them all IMO. I think he has better cardio, a better chin.

If Shogun didn't lose to Forrest, I don't think this question would have been asked since before that fight almost everybody who wasn't a diehard Rampage or Chuck fan had him #1. Hopefully Shogun comes back healthy and better then ever to keep the doubt out of everybodies heads!

Remember, he has only had 1 fight so all you UFC guys you can't really stereotype him as another overhyped PRIDE guy. His next fight will tell us a whole lot. WAR SHOGUN!!!
Jackelope
3/30/08 8:57:41PM
Ninja gassed out against Robbie Lawler and got KTFO'd. That's something I never could see happening to Shogun.

Then again, Shogun gassed out and got choked by Forrest. With the knee injury it's understandable, but it still happened.

I see Shogun as the more powerful fighter of the two. He also has a better ability to finish fights.
prozacnation1978
3/30/08 11:00:26PM
shogun is by far, but i wouldn't mind ninja in the ufc middleweight picture