Nik Wallenda doesn't fall to his death while crossing Niagara Falls

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Nik Wallenda doesn't fall to his death while crossing Niagara Falls
Bubbles
6/15/12 11:29:55PM
Daredevil Nik Wallenda has just done what no one else has ever done before.

The 33-year-old tightrope walker from Florida has walked about 500 metres across the Horseshoe Falls on a wire that is only six centimetres thick.

In front of a crowd of more than100,000 and millions more on television, Wallenda was raised up to the wire with a power lift and then slowly put the elk-skin soled shoes made by his mother on the wire.

As he made it to the lip of the Falls he answered some questions saying the view is "breathtaking" and that he was enjoying himself on the wire.

"That mist was thick...It was definitely quite a challenge," he said shortly before the end. "Fighting that wind wasn't easy and my hands are going numb."

story here
grappler0000
6/15/12 11:58:19PM
A dude a couple of miles from me survived going over the falls about a decade ago wearing nothing but his clothes...which was also a first.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/16/12 4:25:55PM
This was the most boring thing I've ever seen in my life. I wish I had never watched it.
prophecy033
6/16/12 5:37:35PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

This was the most boring thing I've ever seen in my life. I wish I had never watched it.

Have you seen "Man on Wire"? That shit was crazy. He went from one World Trade Center building to the other with no harness....just a pole
BlueSkiesBurn
6/16/12 5:39:06PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Have you seen "Man on Wire"? That shit was crazy. He went from one World Trade Center building to the other with no harness....just a pole

That was cool, this was not.
prophecy033
6/16/12 6:43:09PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

ncordless
6/16/12 6:51:05PM
That's too bad. I DVRed it on the off-chance he took a header. Now I got nothing to watch on a UFC-less Saturday night.
Bubbles
6/16/12 7:32:38PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

this topped a Ben Askren title fight since it lasted about 10 minutes longer
FlashyG
6/16/12 11:03:58PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Wallenda wanted to do this one without a harness but our Government wouldn't let him. They didn't want him to do it at all but I guess public pressure got to them.
Bubbles
6/16/12 11:21:15PM

Posted by FlashyG
Wallenda wanted to do this one without a harness but our Government wouldn't let him. They didn't want him to do it at all but I guess public pressure got to them.

I think it was because ABC wouldn't air it if he didn't have a harness...I never heard about the gov't stepping in...could be a combo of both
jakewalters
6/17/12 3:18:34AM
I thought the video was pretty captivating. Gotta question those guys who will risk their life for a cheap gag. Yikes.
prozacnation1978
6/17/12 8:39:15AM
I wanted to catch it on tv.
Forgot about it
BeeR
6/17/12 12:45:09PM
I really dont understand why people and news stories keep saying "first person ever" people did it all the time in the 1800's, on shittier wires and no harness...

BuffaloDave
6/17/12 12:48:13PM
You know I was throwing digs at him the other night, because of the whole harness thing, ( even though I knew the harness wasn't his doing) But it still is an incredible feet. He only had to wear the harness since the whole thing was being broadcast.

Should be noted that the next morning he was out in the Niagara Falls park with his crew, picking up all the garbage left behind from the spectators. I thought that was awesome of him, How many entertainers do stuff like that?