Anyone just have those on nights

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Anyone just have those on nights
mshalosky
7/15/10 10:00:48PM
I sometimes have nights at a gym I train at in Florida where I will just tap everyone out in the gym but then others where I will find myself out of position and geting destroyed. Anyone know what can help contribute to having more of the on's and less of the off nights? One thing I have found is that if I drink lots of water I do well but, is there anything else I should do the day of training?
sbulldavid
7/15/10 11:49:09PM
Sounds like you are either not getting enough rest, stressed or over training. I'll go with over training ?
Rush
7/16/10 1:32:12AM
IT may be more of a mental thing. If you are not focused on your training and thinking about other things, that can wreak havoc on your training. Or some times you might just get frustrated early on and lose your focus.

Or you may be just one of those types of people that are either on or off. I have trained with some people where when they are on, they are unbeatable (despite not being consistently the best), but are otherwise quite beatable most of the time.
Jackelope
7/16/10 2:44:46AM
Could be a number of different things as people have already stated.

In all honesty I wouldn't really worry about it too much because every fighter out there who knows anything will tell you that there are honestly "those days". I know I went through phases like this all the time when I was training to fight. However, I would say that if you are interested in truly trying to fix it you should start with consistency in all things.

Diet, exercise, stress, distractions, etc. All of those should be addressed for consistency and their relative health values in regards to how they make you feel. If you feel like you have too many distractions- get rid of them. If you feel like you have too much stress- do whatever it takes to get rid of it. Clean up your diet and make sure you're eating at regular intervals to maximize your energy output as well. If you're training at night make sure you take in enough carbs throughout the day to carry you through your training at night. All that jazz. And yeah- water helps. I also find that lowering my sodium intake helps a great deal as well.

I think this is one area where traditional forms of martial arts truly excel beyond MMA. I remember when I was doing the "old school" stuff when I was younger I always felt like the instant I stepped onto the mat that's where I was and nothing else mattered. We started off every class with a small bit of meditation and that got my mind even more focused than I already was. Most MMA gyms could use some of that. Hopefully yours does something similar even though most don't.
RyanC
7/16/10 8:34:37AM

Posted by Jackelope

I think this is one area where traditional forms of martial arts truly excel beyond MMA. I remember when I was doing the "old school" stuff when I was younger I always felt like the instant I stepped onto the mat that's where I was and nothing else mattered. We started off every class with a small bit of meditation and that got my mind even more focused than I already was. Most MMA gyms could use some of that. Hopefully yours does something similar even though most don't.

The 30 seconds or so of meditation we do before class always helps to put me in a good frame of mind. I usually repeat a Buddhist mantra in my head to clear my mind, and motivate myself. I have a feeling a lot of people just close their eyes or stair at the mat, but doing the chant in my head really puts me in a good place mentally.

It doesn't necessarily have any effect on my performance on the mat, but it does get me focused on what I am about to do. I hope as my skills progress being focused will start to help my performance.
mshalosky
7/16/10 11:43:18PM
Thanks for all the replies, I am relatively new in my gym and feel like an idiot asking questions like this to them.