A "Nightmare" for Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » A "Nightmare" for Penn
SpiderSilva
2/21/09 11:47:54AM
Not to shabby if he looks good today

Linkage
beerman77
2/21/09 12:08:16PM
pretty good read.. i think sanchez will be good for the light weights.. and i cant belive the put matt serras name in their as a road block to gsp
State_Champ
2/21/09 2:31:17PM
Serra!?!
Biggz
2/21/09 5:01:29PM
if he beats joe, there is NO way he should get a title shot, and as far as him saying he already beat Kenny, Kenny was fighting two classes above his normal weight class, a fight between them would be very different. i think who ever wins still has at least two more wins before either of them get a shot
NatedawgThaM
2/21/09 5:38:00PM

Posted by Biggz

if he beats joe, there is NO way he should get a title shot, and as far as him saying he already beat Kenny, Kenny was fighting two classes above his normal weight class, a fight between them would be very different. i think who ever wins still has at least two more wins before either of them get a shot

So was Diego

I think Kenny would last long and it'd be a more exciting fight but I still think Diego would be the winner in the end. I think he could get a title shot if he runs through Joe Daddy impressively enough. Who else is their for him to fight that's a top contender? Kenny and BJ will be busy til the summer when they fight, and Sherk and Edgar the only other too guys I believe that are too a title shot are squaring off in May so Diego's next meaningful fight would be til late in the summer.

But since he probably won't get one right away I say if he can beat Joe, fight the winner of Edgar/Sherk in July or August and the winner gets's a title shot later in the year. Love Diego, can't wait for all this!!!
mkiv9secsupra
2/21/09 5:53:14PM
at the moment i would much rather see Diego at 170 rematching Kos for the rubber match and Fitch as well as a couple other guys then move back down to 155.
EvenFlow
2/21/09 8:07:45PM
In light of BJ's loss it seems he has become a punching bag for criticism and doubt when the fact is BJ has only lost to big WW's and a LH recently, he's the lightweight champ for a reason. I was surprised Diego couldnt finish this fight and if Joe had a better or different gameplan I think he wouldve won. As far as everyone jumping the gun on Diego and Florian thats fine but there both not on the level of BJ Penn. I'm not even sure Diegos ready for a fight with Florian yet, Diego looked weak in this fight as in he couldnt get Joe down, maybe he was adjusting to the new weight and will come out early and get a dominating finish next time. I dont think Florian can beat BJ simply because its a stylistic "nightmare" for Kenny, a guy with an iron chin, phenominal boxing and JJ, insane flexibility and agility to go along with it, the only way I can see Florian winning is a decision or perhaps tiring out BJ without getting pumbled first. Either way I'm actually excited that BJ lost and will continue to dominate at LW, plus I didnt appreciate the bs BJ was going to pull if he beat GSP, leaving both belts at the top cmon you lied to us saying you'd defend them, him losing or getting a NC against George did him good imho, we'll likely see the best BJ Penn until he retires...as a LW.
Afflicted
2/22/09 1:50:29AM
The Diego Sanchez that fought tonite would have no chance against BJ Penn, and not much of a chance against Florian. I think he needs a few fights and some time to get used to fighting at 155. I would like to see him fight Guida next, and if he wins that then maybe give him a shot at the title or at least a #1 contender match.
NatedawgThaM
2/22/09 2:03:37AM
IDK man I think he looked great especially since this was his 1st fight their and everybody else recently who's dropped has really looked terrible their 1st fights like Swick and Vera. They gassed fast and has little to no energy in their fights.

He had the perfect plan, Joe like he said has never evolved and he had the perfect gameplan for him. I do think he could have finished him if he was the usual aggressive Sanchez but that was against the gameplan except at the start of the 2nd when he looked great being aggressive, plus he didn't want to have that issue of gassing his 1st fight dropping down.

So I believe it was all in the gameplan. But if the nonstop aggressive Diego that never tires or backs down shows up against Kenny he will definitely beat him since countering Kenny is a bad idea he's too technical but an aggressive Diego I think can outwork him and I think and aggressive Diego could definitely pose the same problems GSP gave BJ except at 155. Diego would be aggressive and wouldn't get finished early which is what BJ would need, Diego takes great shots to the chin and he's never looked rocked or came close to being finished, same with submissions. So I think he could steal it in the later rounds with a great pace to take BJ.

Who knows, his 2nd fight will tell us more which is hopefully against the winner of Sherk/Edgar or loser of kenny/BJ. Big ups to him tonight though, he looked very good for his 1st fight, one of the better debuts at a weight class. Great technical fight. Can't wait to see more of him at 155!!!
theguido
2/22/09 8:41:17AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

IDK man I think he looked great especially since this was his 1st fight their and everybody else recently who's dropped has really looked terrible their 1st fights like Swick and Vera. They gassed fast and has little to no energy in their fights.

He had the perfect plan, Joe like he said has never evolved and he had the perfect gameplan for him. I do think he could have finished him if he was the usual aggressive Sanchez but that was against the gameplan except at the start of the 2nd when he looked great being aggressive, plus he didn't want to have that issue of gassing his 1st fight dropping down.

So I believe it was all in the gameplan. But if the nonstop aggressive Diego that never tires or backs down shows up against Kenny he will definitely beat him since countering Kenny is a bad idea he's too technical but an aggressive Diego I think can outwork him and I think and aggressive Diego could definitely pose the same problems GSP gave BJ except at 155. Diego would be aggressive and wouldn't get finished early which is what BJ would need, Diego takes great shots to the chin and he's never looked rocked or came close to being finished, same with submissions. So I think he could steal it in the later rounds with a great pace to take BJ.

Who knows, his 2nd fight will tell us more which is hopefully against the winner of Sherk/Edgar or loser of kenny/BJ. Big ups to him tonight though, he looked very good for his 1st fight, one of the better debuts at a weight class. Great technical fight. Can't wait to see more of him at 155!!!

I'm not really agreeing with any thing you said here except for Kenny being to techical. I was kind dissappointed with Diego, maybe your right and the weight had alot to do with it but theres no way that even a Diego twice as good as what we saw has a chance against BJ,Anyone agree?
prozacnation1978
2/22/09 10:44:42AM
he needs to fight sherk for top contender status for a title shot or at least have him fight huerta
Franklinfan47
2/22/09 11:22:08AM
I agree with some of you. Based on what I saw last night, I think Penn would crush Sanchez like he crushed Stevenson. He has better striking, better subs (though we didn't any last night), and I dont see any way Diego would beat him. But I still need to see more from Sanchez before we can tell for sure.
keith-hackney1
2/22/09 5:41:56PM
Diego, love him or hate him, i think he's an awesome fighter with a great mind for this sport. Light weight is his class, he was so light on the feet last night, he physically looked the bigger of the two, he stands out to me as a major threat to all lightweights in that division. I see diego being a great star there. Aswell as being a huge superstar for the fans here in the UK. Us brits gave diego alot of love last night. I hope he stays at 155.
higdon10
2/22/09 8:07:21PM
He doesnt deserve a shot yet. He should have to fight another top contender before he gets considered for a fight with the champ.
State_Champ
2/23/09 1:54:12PM

Posted by higdon10

He doesnt deserve a shot yet. He should have to fight another top contender before he gets considered for a fight with the champ.

You're right.
But who should he fight?
I was thinking Gray Maynard.
keith-hackney1
2/23/09 5:36:48PM
I think diego should fight sean sherk, then the winner should get a crack at bj after florian.